Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

1. Plungerboy

P4 why no zoom?

2. Szon3

Can you say P4 professional

Plungerboy likes this.
  3. Matty1551

I know it's not ideal but if you aren't actually planning to use 4K for the completed project you can record in 4K and crop/zoom and export your videos at 2.7 or 1080p.

4. Mako79

I think DJI is working on something for the cropped 4k to 1080p digital zoom.

5. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Because it's not necessary and it would add a lot of weight and cost besides big technical issues.
    DJI are trying to compete and the $$ is a big factor.
    If zoom is critical for you there's always the Inspire with X5 camera that has one zoom lens that will work with it.

6. Plungerboy

I agree if I were a real video guy but I want to make videos on my phone and doing all that is way more complicated then adding a Zoom button

7. Plungerboy

I can buy a digital camera for $50 that's has some zoom why can this tech device have digital or optical.

Not interested in reinvesting in inspire or p4. At the rate of disappointment from DJI I most likely upgrade at the p8 ,haha.

dirtdummy likes this.
  8. WetDog

The $50 cell phone camera has exactly the same 'zoom' as Meta4 is describing - a digital zoom. The $200 point and shoot camera might have an optical zoom, but it doesn't have to sit on a nicely balanced gimbal 400 feet in the air.

If DJI were to take the 4K sensor and put an on board digital zoom on the drone, then you'd see all of the newbies slammng into (even more) various objects because their field of view is so narrow that they can't see much at all. The P4 might get away with that given the collision avoidance tech, but I doubt it would work well enough.

Sorry, no zoom.

Plungerboy likes this.
  9. Geblo

A zoom lens is completely unnecessarily. If you want a closer shot, fly closer to the subject. The LAST thing we need to worry is privacy invasion claims, image jitter, more weight, more cost and yet another variable to control. If there is an upgrade to the lens that would be useful is aperture control.

Aramis likes this.
  10. isopro

The day they will put a zoom on customer grade drones, is the day the privacy peoples will cry hard..

11. AmirChar

Only issue with flying closer is scaring off wild life. Was in florida last week filming a some pelicans and when I got a little closer, they freaked out and flew away (and almost into the P3). A modest 3x optical zoom would be nice, but I do see how this could raise privacy issues.

Plungerboy likes this.
  12. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

As has been said in other threads, the cheapest drone with zoom will cost you $5,000. And that's pretty cheap compared to the next step up which is about $15,000 to $25,000.

Sinisalo likes this.
  13. flpholt

Mirage Drone with 5 Times Optical Zoom Camera
    [​IMG]

stulpin300m likes this.
  14. CaptainDrone798

DJI could add digital zoom via software with no change to the current camera. They could add it to every model from the Phantom Vision up to the Phantom 4.

The common argument is that they don't because inexperienced pilots would fly with the zoom turned on, and crash into everything (objects in mirror are not as close as they appear). I don't fully agree with that argument because DJI could make the zoom only available when a Phantom is in hover mode. If they added the much better and more expensive optical zoom, then again DJI could make it only available when hovering. If you move in any direction, it would drop out of zoom.

My guess is they don't add zoom because:

- minor vibrations are exaggerated when in zoom and pictures look terrible.
    - They don't want idiots taking close up photos of unsuspecting people and causing a media panic.

15. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

OK. I should clarify. The cheapest drone with optical zoom that doesn't look like the drone was having a seizure is $5,000.

Digital zoom? What's the point?

Meta4 likes this.
  16. realsting

Because they didn't!

17. Multicoptertec

Just to clarify, digital zoom is not "zooming" at all, it is merely a crop into the existing resolution. A zoom motor would of course eat up more power when used. What would be nice is changeable lenses, like we have with our SLRs.

18. flpholt

I'm curios how much mirage drone is and I know its not over 1800 and longer flight time

19. WWK888

Do you think the general public realizes that most drones DON'T have zoom capabilities? Most of my friends assumed all drones had zoom lens.

dirtdummy likes this.
  20. Phantomfreak

Big. Brother doesn't want zoom capabilities on drones.. At least not mainstream drones like the Phantom series.. Smaller manufacturers with much more expensive specialty drones will release some models with the zoom feature, and already have.

isopro likes this.