P4 Video settings 24fps or 30fps

Reaction score
Hi all,
When I first got my P4 I was shooting video at 24fps using a ND8 and ND16 filter and it looked nice and smooth, the last few videos I shoot i done them at 30fps but the videos seemed a little bit jerkey, can anyone tell me why as I thought 30fps was ment to give you smoother video footage.

Hi all,
When I first got my P4 I was shooting video at 24fps using a ND8 and ND16 filter and it looked nice and smooth, the last few videos I shoot i done them at 30fps but the videos seemed a little bit jerkey, can anyone tell me why as I thought 30fps was ment to give you smoother video footage.
I might be the speed of your computer trying to process the video. Try it on a different device.

But my other videos which I shot at 24fps and edited using the same computer they are nice and smooth.

That's what I do. I almost always shoot in 24fps. Only on those times when I'm looking for an "action" look will I switch to 30fps.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I rarely use Auto-exposure. I set it manually. I try to use ND (or PL/ND) filters to allow me to shoot at 100 ISO and 1/50 shutter speed when shooting at 24fps (1/60 at 60fps, 1/120 @ 60fps and 1/240 @ 120fps). That's ideal, so I try to get as close to that as possible. I set the color to D-Log, and the saturation, contrast and sharpness to -2 (on all).

Last edited:
Also I take my white balance off of auto and set it to the appropriate setting (usually daylight). Even if the setting doesn't match the exact lighting conditions it can be corrected in post processing. If you leave it on Auto it will shift mid-stream and that's very difficult to fix in post.

Here is a sample from this past weekend where I was using these setting and a ND/PL filter (I was shooting into the sun so I didn't have to worry about the PL shift in the sky too much.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik