P4 Verge Not for Everyone

There were 3 things I wanted from the P4
1. Sharper image from the camera, supposedly this is happening so CHECK.
2. Gimbal tilt issues resolved CHECK
3. Higher max bitrate of video storage NOT HAPPENING

So I got 2 out of 3 for my wishes, I am ordering one for sure!

A good point Frank, however, and depending on real world feedback from early adopters, I am adding a Typhoon H to my existing fleet rather than going with the P4. By keeping my P3P (with over 150 flights and 1,200,000 feet travelled), I retain the option of lightbridge range. However, and because of the H's 360 degree camera, retracting landing gear, and motor redundancy, I would gain a much safer and more flexible photographic/videographic platform for use in more populated environments. To remind us all and give lip service to the current FAA advisories, flights beyond Visual Lines of Sight (VLOS being, in my experience, between 1000 feet and 2100 feet) violate those advisories. I'm not saying I have never, or will never fly beyond VLOS, but hey, what the heck.
Another reason for adding a Typhoon H is that all the accessories that would cost me hundreds of dollars to convert to a P4 come with the H (extra battery, hardshell case, video device, although it is not clear whether the steady cam device that came with other Typhoon models will be included in the price of the H).
Finally, I would never consider replacing my P3P but adding a ship to my fleet...... the P4 doesn't have the chops and I am unwilling to commit to spending the money required to get into any level of the Inspire lineup.

You have no doubt sold yourself on why you should invest in the Typhoon H. However, I can not image what kind of kickass setup I would have with $1800 invested in a P3.

• You mentioned the H's 360 degree Camera. I'm sure you're aware the P3 is able to rotate itself providing the same 360 effect, while in flight if needed.
  • You also mention the Video Device. The P3 has the ability to use a smartphone, tablet, or ipad. What drone operator doesn't already have one of those devices is their arsenal? No forced expense in this area. With this combo it allows for the stream live option, and more. Because of the numerous benefits in this area, this is a huge setback for the H.

You have no doubt sold yourself on why you should invest in the Typhoon H. However, I can not image what kind of kickass setup I would have with $1800 invested in a P3.

• You mentioned the H's 360 degree Camera. I'm sure you're aware the P3 is able to rotate itself providing the same 360 effect, while in flight if needed.
  • You also mention the Video Device. The P3 has the ability to use a smartphone, tablet, or ipad. What drone operator doesn't already have one of those devices is their arsenal? No forced expense in this area. With this combo it allows for the stream live option, and more. Because of the numerous benefits in this area, this is a huge setback for the H.
I agree Frank, the inclusion of a video monitor on the controller means you are limited to that one device. If the screen is not bright enough you can't just go get an ipad mini 4 and call it good, you are stuck. Why do you think they included a sun shade? Also I don't like that the camera has a 115 degree field of view, I feel that would be better for racing around than using as a flying camera.

Good for you, I pre-ordered one as well.
I can't understand all the negativity out there for the P4, when it has not even been shipped yet.
Hopefully it WILL NOT as many issues as the P3 when it was introduced, (shell cracks, fragile gimbals, tilted horizon), which to some extent have not been completely resolved a year later.
Cruise over to the P3P/ P3A forum to see what I mean.

Nothing better then a new unit. However, don't make the mistake thinking the P4 will be problem free. Most feel like the P4 was rushed to the market to beat other manufacturers. If that is a fact, it can be expected there will be some issues to deal with.

Also keep in mind it is a very good idea to wait at least 10-14 days after any updates are released. It is real common for dji to take away as much or more from updates. In most cases it's unknown, but it may not fly as fast, or turn as good, or receive as many satellites,....but it's always something. Best to just relax, wait, and see. Let others do the testing.

Nothing better then a new unit. However, don't make the mistake thinking the P4 will be problem free. Most feel like the P4 was rushed to the market to beat other manufacturers. If that is a fact, it can be expected there will be some issues to deal with.

Also keep in mind it is a very good idea to wait at least 10-14 days after any updates are released. It is real common for dji to take away as much or more from updates. In most cases it's unknown, but it may not fly as fast, or turn as good, or receive as many satellites,....but it's always something. Best to just relax, wait, and see. Let others do the testing.

Thanks for the reply, you make some good points.

First off I am NOT dissing any DJI product. I love and will keep my Phantom 3 Pro and, if for no other reason than the Professional filter set from Renaat (Rainbowers) The professional filter set for the Phantom 3, it will probably remain my go-to sUAS.

But Frank Let's see what kind of "kickass" Phantom 3 setup you could get assuming you are just getting into the hobby and have no compatible electronics! This is the demographic that DJI seems to be aiming at with the 4. (BTW, and just so you know, I really am ambivalent about Yuneec's integrated android based video, not a big fan of android systems but YMMV).

Since it would be unfair to compare the current discounted price of a P3P with the price of the new H, let's begin with the original cost of a P3P. $1359 (with a second battery when the promotional packages were still available)

What can you add to the stock P3P to bring it up to H stock spec?

1. retractable LG (specifically for the P3A and P3P) $249 for the parts, plus labor (although I personally would not do this mod) it is available.
2. HDMI board. $100 plus labor
3. $149 for the OEM backpack which is the equivalent of the Yuneec offering
4. $100 for a really cheap or out of date video display.
5. $30 to upgrade that cheap display holder to the metal one built for the Inspire.

All that totals $1987 or about $188 MORE than a similarly set up Yuneec Typhoon H. Even of you take out the $100 for the video display you are still paying $88 more for the tricked out P3P.

If we compare at the current discounted price $999 we also have to add $149 for a second battery bringing the starter set to $1148. With all the options above you pay $1776 which is $14 dollars less than the H.

What can't you get with the P3 at any price:
1. Propulsion redundancy (no hex kit for retrofitting)
2. Currently no OAS (obstacle avoidance system)
3. 1080p @ 120 fps (slo mo) The P4 DOES have this ability but we are talking about a tricked out P3P
4. solid endless 360 degree rotation with no slippage due to rotation of the aircraft and the inevitable minor drift issues (not going to argue this one too much but continuous slow yawing of a Phantom has always had some drift and jerkiness for me so YMMV).
5. dual pilot capability

What you can't get with a Yuneec H at any price. . . . . Lightbridge's extended range, and probably ( live streaming to a website.

Again, I am not dissing the Phantoms or even the Inspire, which I would own if I were more than just a hobbyist user, I am only thinking that the Typhoon H has capabilities and that P3 or P4 lack just the same as the H lacks some DJI capability.
Which again is why I will probably own both.

I agree Frank, the inclusion of a video monitor on the controller means you are limited to that one device. If the screen is not bright enough you can't just go get an ipad mini 4 and call it good, you are stuck. Why do you think they included a sun shade? Also I don't like that the camera has a 115 degree field of view, I feel that would be better for racing around than using as a flying camera.

I understand what you're saying. As for me, it that limited distance for video that is just impossible to ignore for that amount money($1800). Knowing if you're on a trip or anywhere, and say you want to pull over to the road side and fly over to take pic's or video of that cool waterfall, but find that 1500-2000ft barely gets you out for any kind of shot at all. And here you are stretched out to the tips of your toes, and wind currents come into play and begin causing you to be out of range. You manage to land but you are mad as heck. You know you're likely at a once in a lifetime location, the sun was at the perfect position and you say to yourself,.....I should have brought the dressed up P3.

So it's then realized that not always is the newest on the market the best option. ;) :D

First off I am NOT dissing any DJI product. I love and will keep my Phantom 3 Pro and, if for no other reason than the Professional filter set from Renaat (Rainbowers) The professional filter set for the Phantom 3, it will probably remain my go-to sUAS.

But Frank Let's see what kind of "kickass" Phantom 3 setup you could get assuming you are just getting into the hobby and have no compatible electronics! This is the demographic that DJI seems to be aiming at with the 4. (BTW, and just so you know, I really am ambivalent about Yuneec's integrated android based video, not a big fan of android systems but YMMV).

Since it would be unfair to compare the current discounted price of a P3P with the price of the new H, let's begin with the original cost of a P3P. $1359 (with a second battery when the promotional packages were still available)

What can you add to the stock P3P to bring it up to H stock spec?

1. retractable LG (specifically for the P3A and P3P) $249 for the parts, plus labor (although I personally would not do this mod) it is available.
2. HDMI board. $100 plus labor
3. $149 for the OEM backpack which is the equivalent of the Yuneec offering
4. $100 for a really cheap or out of date video display.
5. $30 to upgrade that cheap display holder to the metal one built for the Inspire.

All that totals $1987 or about $188 MORE than a similarly set up Yuneec Typhoon H. Even of you take out the $100 for the video display you are still paying $88 more for the tricked out P3P.

If we compare at the current discounted price $999 we also have to add $149 for a second battery bringing the starter set to $1148. With all the options above you pay $1776 which is $14 dollars less than the H.

What can't you get with the P3 at any price:
1. Propulsion redundancy (no hex kit for retrofitting)
2. Currently no OAS (obstacle avoidance system)
3. 1080p @ 120 fps (slo mo) The P4 DOES have this ability but we are talking about a tricked out P3P
4. solid endless 360 degree rotation with no slippage due to rotation of the aircraft and the inevitable minor drift issues (not going to argue this one too much but continuous slow yawing of a Phantom has always had some drift and jerkiness for me so YMMV).
5. dual pilot capability

What you can't get with a Yuneec H at any price. . . . . Lightbridge's extended range, and probably ( live streaming to a website.

Again, I am not dissing the Phantoms or even the Inspire, which I would own if I were more than just a hobbyist user, I am only thinking that the Typhoon H has capabilities and that P3 or P4 lack just the same as the H lacks some DJI capability.
Which again is why I will probably own both.

Your dollar amounts and necessities appear to be off to some degree. This should be looked at as it actually is, which is an additional purchase. Prices would be as they actually are. I wouldn't be looking to put together an exact match of the two products. I would buy a P3P, and then spend the balance on tricking out the P3P. Once finished I would likely have something with 2 on board batteries, amps plus aftermarket antennas, and some nice camera lens upgrade.

Your dollar amounts and necessities appear to be off to some degree. This should be looked at as it actually is, which is an additional purchase. Prices would be as they actually are. I wouldn't be looking to put together an exact match of the two products. I would buy a P3P, and then spend the balance on tricking out the P3P. Once finished I would likely have something with 2 on board batteries, amps plus aftermarket antennas, and some nice camera lens upgrade.

Ugh Frank. :confused: That's never been the conversation we have been having but I appreciate your ability to pivot and redirect on a dime. We both agree the P3P is a great platform.... The Yuneec has a different set of advantages. In the end, and with all the extras you would put on the P3, you still would lack some Typhoon H advantages. And by the way my dollar amounts are spot on as of the hour prior to my posting, y'see I never say anything that I haven't researched in full. ;):D:cool:

I have only one big reason why I will get a P4, the camera is mounted right on the center of the body. If you fly P2 with a Gopro, P2V+, and P3, you know that when you yaw quickly you get a bottom corner of the left leg.

Ugh Frank. :confused: That's never been the conversation we have been having but I appreciate your ability to pivot and redirect on a dime. We both agree the P3P is a great platform.... The Yuneec has a different set of advantages. In the end, and with all the extras you would put on the P3, you still would lack some Typhoon H advantages. And by the way my dollar amounts are spot on as of the hour prior to my posting, y'see I never say anything that I haven't researched in full. ;):D:cool:

I also researched before my last response. I didn't dig deep, but I did enough to find the best retractable landing gear under $200. OEM new battery under $130.....blah blah blah.

Anyway,...I'm curious what you think about the mentioned $799 price on the P3P?

That
I also researched before my last response. I didn't dig deep, but I did enough to find the best retractable landing gear under $200. OEM new battery under $130.....blah blah blah.

Anyway,...I'm curious what you think about the mentioned $799 price on the P3P?
That $799 price looks amazing. If I didn't already have one I would totally forego the P4, and the Typhoon. That's a real no brainer......

That

That $799 price looks amazing. If I didn't already have one I would totally forego the P4, and the Typhoon. That's a real no brainer......

I find it a little odd that they want the P3 stock dissolved so quickly. There is another model that I have had in my signature for some time now that has yet to make it on the market. I can't help to think there is more to come then just the P4.

I like the collision avoidance on the return to home feature (when enabled). I just wonder if there are situations where the craft will just get stuck in space if it comes across an obstacle on the return trip.

I kind of wish a screen was built into the controller along with the software. Sometimes I think it would be nice not having to depend on an Apple or Android device to fly.

P3P can be bought on EBay for $799. It's tempting, but I want the P4 stated redundancy and error correction capability from having two IMUs, and compasses. I've seen enough fly away videos on YouTube.

The price is high (as always for a new product). The biggest selling point for me is stability, and reliability (meaning that I hope for less chances of a hardware induced flyaways).

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj