P4 tilted horizon

Reaction score
I am experiencing a tiled horizon with my P4. Anyone else? I have calibrated and adjusted several times but it comes back quickly. Any ideas?

tilted.jpg

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
Mine is off a tad, I just adjust the camera roll setting. Seems to work for me.

I am experiencing a tiled horizon with my P4. Anyone else? I have calibrated and adjusted several times but it comes back quickly. Any ideas?

So you did a gimbal calibration from the app - completely level surface with the bird "chilled" (cold)? If so then try this..............hover with the Phantom - then go into your camera menu and setup the "grid screen" on the app then adjust the "Gimbal Roll" until you line up with the horizon. Something you may have to do the odd time prior to snapping any photos or shooting vids - pain the --------- well you know what.

For me I don't worry about a slight tilt at the horizon - if I was doing vids for a living then - for certain, but I wouldn't be flying a Phantom anyway (not saying it is not good for that - just my opinion) for paid professional shots.

Despite the tilted horizon - great photo, beautiful display of colour. Where is that taken - looks like a fantastic area to live!

Thanks, eaglegoaltender, I am not sure the bird was cold each time I have calibrated, but I will try it. I have the grid on all the time and I have adjusted the roll in flight. The pic is my hometown in NE Missouri.

I am not sure the bird was cold each time I have calibrated

Level and cold is key okestone - some have even chilled the bird in a fridge for a few minutes prior to calibration especially since the Gimbal is warmed up right away on start up so ya gotta be fairly quick once you put the battery in and start the calibration process.

The pic is my hometown in NE Missouri.

Wow - beauty spot man - and your forum avatar suits the area - lol - I can just see old Clint riding his horse in the fields! Truly a really picturesque location to live and grow up in.

Reactions: okestone
with my P4

Hey okestone - I just noticed you were talking about a P4!

Nice - how do you like it so far (other than the tilted horizon)?

It is great! I came from a P3S and it (P4) is a much more aggressive machine. Not that you need aggressive in photography, you don't, but is is a blast getting there and back. (kinda like a bass boat) The camera is improved, I think. I haven't had enough time to really judge the new features so I won't comment on those yet.

Last edited:
Oh no,
I have been fighting a tilted / drifting horizon on my P3P from day one,
I paid waaay toooo much money for my new P4 to NOT be spot on.
I am planing my first flight on Monday, if my horizon looks like the OP's pic,
My P4 is going back.

Oh no,
I have been fighting a tilted / drifting horizon on my P3P from day one,
I paid waaay toooo much money for my new P4 to NOT be spot on.
I am planing my first flight on Monday, if my horizon looks like the OP's pic,
My P4 is going back.
Yup..my p3p since day one has had a tilted horizon. I've tried everything..even cooling it down to like -10... Lol

Gimbal calibrations don't need to be cold. Imu calibrations are helped with a cold calibration so the bird doesn't take so long to warm up each time you fly.

The gimbal tilt issue is something I struggled with recently too, but solved it. Although it would calibrate and level out, it wouldn't remember it after the craft is powered down. So, after I calibrated I went into the app and messed with all the gimbal settings, anything to do with the gimbal. I also gave it full up and down to exercise the gimbal. Finally after messing with it long enough it remembered the setting and it's been level ever since. I'm not sure exactly which action triggered the memory to work but others have had this issue. If you fiddle with it long enough you might get it work.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
Gimbal calibrations don't need to be cold. Imu calibrations are helped with a cold calibration so the bird doesn't take so long to warm up each time you fly.

OOPS - yes you are correct John, my mistake, sorry about that "okestone"!

Finally after messing with it long enough it remembered the setting and it's been level ever since. I'm not sure exactly which action triggered the memory to work but others have had this issue. If you fiddle with it long enough you might get it work.

Gonna try that myself - worth a shot for sure - thank you.

The gimbal tilt issue is something I struggled with recently too, but solved it. Although it would calibrate and level out, it wouldn't remember it after the craft is powered down. So, after I calibrated I went into the app and messed with all the gimbal settings, anything to do with the gimbal. I also gave it full up and down to exercise the gimbal. Finally after messing with it long enough it remembered the setting and it's been level ever since. I'm not sure exactly which action triggered the memory to work but others have had this issue. If you fiddle with it long enough you might get it work.

The fact remains we shouldn't have to stuff around like this. The purpose of the gimbal is to provide a smooth and stable image. The advertised line from DJI is ...

"This gimbal is accurate to a highly precise ±0.03°"

If I still owner a protractor I'd get it out and measure how many degrees off it actually is.

Yes I'm experiencing this too. It's really frustrating. The P2 gimbals ended up flawless. This is a back step that many people seem to be accepting. If a firmware issue doesn't fix it soon, mine will be going back.

Dji is a piece of **** company that releases buggy drones. Sorry that I'm so upset but kind of tired of them not fixing bugs that have been around p3 days. I'm specifically talking about tilted horizons. Worst thing is they don't admit the problem.
Here is a users video, not mine, that has a p4 and you can clearly see the tilted Horizon. No **** calibration fixes the this issue, period

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Holy crap that is real bad.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Mine does it too. I usually adjust gimbal roll In the settings before each flight. Even then sometimes it changes a little mid flight. But that's the only issue I have with the P4 so overall I'm happy

i find gimbal auto calibration to be completely useless. the camera will be level but the second i fly it slants again about 50% of the time. Now whenever im filming the first thing i do is fly to a height where the horizon clearly defined and manually tweak. Mine does not seem to have a "memory" of the custom setting.

Here is what mine looks like when its not level
https://i.gyazo.com/cb8e6b7f80ad147958e215d558264b38.jpg

This is what I've noticed, and it's not as bad as the pics tho. I thought my horizon was off a little, but it seems confusing to me, even trying to explain. But I couldn't Adjust mine because if I turn, the horizon tilts different ways. It wasn't something I noticed at first, and it may be this firmware update because I'm almost certain it wasn't like this before. It's a shame too, it's the only fault I really have.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've done 4-5 level calibrations so mine will be going in for warranty service. I'm pretty meticulous about these things so there is absolutely no way this isn't mechanical in my case unless DJi has some special method via software to straighten things out.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic