P4 spun out and crashed. Help!

Reaction score
I was flying my P4 today. While in sport mode, I was flying forward and trying to change direction and it suddenly began spinning and losing altitude and crashed through the trees. One of the props broke, and arm cracked and the battery fell out during the crash.

I modified my transmitter with a Itelite antenna. No mods to the bird itself.

I purchased this through Apple.

What do I do about this?

Thanks

4b710d074e8c395e51b887c79d8a6e79.jpg

ac15d4da084b56287c211fe31a49cffb.jpg
1cd52f3eee7fc525c3908982b7a91889.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

First off, Sorry about your crash!

Examine the flight data log. Follow this link to determine how. Flight Data Log Viewer DJI Phantom 3 and Inspire 1

Then if you would like to post to this thread on the forum and ask other members to give you a breakdown of what your Phantom 4 was doing and what inputs it was receiving. Play by Play. This will help determine if you have a valid warranty claim with DJI before submitting to DJI warranty repair location directly.

You could also try and swap the shell yourself, but the moment you part the case halves your warranty is VOID. So I would not suggest even trying that. I have a feeling that the moment you modified your transmitter then that gives DJI the option to deny a warranty claim based on the fact that it (Remote Controller) is no longer the standard controller as it has been modified. Unsure about this , but it seems probable.

You'll be able to see more info if you upload your TXT log here instead.

First off, Sorry about your crash!

Examine the flight data log. Follow this link to determine how. Flight Data Log Viewer DJI Phantom 3 and Inspire 1

Then if you would like to post to this thread on the forum and ask other members to give you a breakdown of what your Phantom 4 was doing and what inputs it was receiving. Play by Play. This will help determine if you have a valid warranty claim with DJI before submitting to DJI warranty repair location directly.

You could also try and swap the shell yourself, but the moment you part the case halves your warranty is VOID. So I would not suggest even trying that. I have a feeling that the moment you modified your transmitter then that gives DJI the option to deny a warranty claim based on the fact that it (Remote Controller) is no longer the standard controller as it has been modified. Unsure about this , but it seems probable.
that sucks it crashed hopefully you can get it fixed just don't mention controller being modded

Thanks for pointing him the in the right direction. I will use your link for future posters who have similar issues.
The TXT log doesn't have as much info as the DAT log, so you're information is helpful too. I was only suggesting he upload his TXT file to my log viewer since Healthy Drones doesn't show most of the data.

The TXT log doesn't have as much info as the DAT log, so you're information is helpful too. I was only suggesting he upload his TXT file to my log viewer since Healthy Drones doesn't show most of the data.
Msinger to the extent one exists could you please provide a link to a resource that highlights what is missing from the HD data, or at least what your tool provides that HD doesn't.

My observation is that there is a lot more granularity in your viewer, that is more data points depicted in the timeline. I have found it useful. I'm interested in what the other differences are.

thank you.

HD is a great tool, but it doesn't work too well for troubleshooting flight issues since it only shows a general overview of the flight. My log viewer shows the entire flight -- with the exception of short periods of time when no significant things are occurring. It also shows the reading in all battery cells, which is pretty important for troubleshooting battery-related issues.

Thanks for all your help guys/gals. I will upload the data files in the morning once I get back from this gig.

So I sent the bird to DJI after getting them to issue me an RMA and sending me a prepaid Fedex label.
I just received a brand new bird from DJI at $0 cost to me. Flew it today and it behaves like a champ.

I guess they determined that it was indeed a software error that caused it to spin and crash.

Would still be nice if you share the log file. Especuially as it looks like it may have been a hardware/software issue. Important knowledge. DJI almost always to be light on with detail in these cases.

I cannot upload it as I do not even have the files at this point. Sorry guys.
It was pretty obviously a software issue as it began spinning out of control prior to hitting anything and DJI said that all sensors were working well.

Software or an ESC/Motor failure.
It is exactly how I would describe a dead ESC crash I have had with my XuGong. Basically an aggressive yaw spinning and tumbling to the ground.
It would also suggest why DJI gave you a new one, as either of those failures mid flight would fall under manufacturing fault considering the age of your P4.
Just another scenario to ponder :)
Glad they came to the party and gave you a replacement without any drama.

Reactions: Sim597
Wow, a rarity indeed, so you didn't send them the remote back? I thought we had to send everything back with the bird

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20