P4 Smart Battery

Reaction score
I have a newbie question related to the batteries:

What is the purpose of storing batteries at 50%?

When storing at 50% capacity the resulting voltage will be about 3.8 volts per cell. A fully charged battery is around 4.25 volts, this increase in voltage gives use more capacity but results in more stress on the battery, heat will do the same. Think of voltage as air pressure in a tank, the more pressure you have the more strain on the tank.

I also am curious here. So then why don't we store them at like 30%?

@Erised Thanks for the explanation..I'm an electronics kind of guy (way back in the day) so the voltage as pressure is an age old analogy, but I never actually thought about it putting pressure on the battery casing.

@Xenomorph I can understand the reasons for 50% rather than 30% because it's like a balance between safety and convenience....Also the relationship between voltage and pressure may not be linear. If that's the case then dropping the voltage from 50% to 30% may have a negligible benefit, and make you wait longer for a full charge.

I also am curious here. So then why don't we store them at like 30%?
The battery will lose some power with time, the voltage will slowly drop, studies have shown that if the voltage drops bellow 3 volts some permanent damage will occur so at 3.8v you can store a battery longer as the voltage slowly drops. Also store in a cool place like a fridge, not freezer as this can damage the battery, the cold will slow the chemical reactions in the battery to help maintain battery health. This is all stuff that I read on various sites and they mostly say the same thing. The less you drain your battery the more cycles it can take, I try to land around 20%, more is better but I like to stay up there from 17 to 20 minutes and that's about 20% left.

The battery will lose some power with time, the voltage will slowly drop, studies have shown that if the voltage drops bellow 3 volts some permanent damage will occur so at 3.8v you can store a battery longer as the voltage slowly drops. Also store in a cool place like a fridge, not freezer as this can damage the battery, the cold will slow the chemical reactions in the battery to help maintain battery health. This is all stuff that I read on various sites and they mostly say the same thing. The less you drain your battery the more cycles it can take, I try to land around 20%, more is better but I like to stay up there from 17 to 20 minutes and that's about 20% left.

Interesting. I always land at 30% then just keep my batteries at that until I'm ready to fly then I charge them up. Been looking into the charging hub. I may pick it up because it can keep all my batteries at 50% rather than 30% from after my flights.

Reactions: uavflyr and Erised
Interesting. I always land at 30% then just keep my batteries at that until I'm ready to fly then I charge them up. Been looking into the charging hub. I may pick it up because it can keep all my batteries at 50% rather than 30% from after my flights.
You are very nice to your batteries and should be able to get many cycles. The cool fridge storage should be for a long term situation, I live in northern Ontario and the weather will get too cold to fly soon. We are in a warm spell and it's about 0c the last few days and good for flying. We are in a warm spell and I get to fly YEA!

Another question on battery levels:

Now that I understand the reasoning behind storing batteries at 50% rather than full charge...is there a rule of thumb regarding how long you should wait to bring a full battery down to 50%?

For example...I was planning on flying today but the weather (and work) was not cooperative, so I'm likely going to have to wait for a day or two...is it safe to keep them charged up for a day?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic