P4 Saved my House -- but my first crash all at the same time.

You do realise your iPad records the video regardless if you have the sd card in. Go into your previous flight and watch it.
Where exactly does one find that? I can replay the flight in map view but not the actual camera footage.

The Ipad did capture the data of the flight --- felt much longer ;) --- but it did not capture any pics or video -- if you don't have a sdcard in your phantom -- it will not have pics/or vids samples at the ipad (I checked after seeing your post) -- you can test that -- but I do have the GPS data and the control data.
I may record that screen playback for prosperity -- it's only 2mins. and 34 ft max alt. and 333 ft distance... but the control play back is interesting. (what is good app to record ipad screen?)

if you don't have a sdcard in your phantom -- it will not have pics/or vids samples at the ipad (I checked after seeing your post)

This is 100% not true. By default the iPad will cache the FPV feed. This is widely known and lots of new pilots mess up and upload that video versus the one that is saved on a memory card. You don't have to be recording for the FPV to be cached either. I delete these cached videos all the time.

You do realise your iPad records the video regardless if you have the sd card in. Go into your previous flight and watch it.
With no SD card you can not take any pics or video so there is nothing for your device to save.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

For the kid doing research -- I'l give him this: (These Guys did my roof and were nice enough to come and get the drone down and inspect for damage --- I think they can answer your questions...if you wish to take it that far ) but learn from this -- don't do those big Japanese Lanterns -- I think they are dangerous compared to drones... (If I can find where the wife keeps them -- I'll post a pic of the type....)

1. Grier Roofing -
    Address: 9329 Asheville Hwy, Inman, SC 29349
    Phone:(864) 578-0968

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Hell now that I think about it -- that Drone/Bag crap --- could it have been a lantern of some type ?

Instead of the P4, why didn't you shoot a stream of water from your garden hose?

This is 100% not true. By default the iPad will cache the FPV feed. This is widely known and lots of new pilots mess up and upload that video versus the one that is saved on a memory card. You don't have to be recording for the FPV to be cached either. I delete these cached videos all the time.
Ok. Maybe I have that turned off in my settings so I've never seen my cached FPV videos.

rmfa, I looked on my iPad and couldn't find any cached videos, but that's not to say I was looking in the right place. I did find one video I tried on the DJI Go app, but I was still learning how to do all this stuff and stay out of the trees too. So I need to look on the memory card ? Any tips are welcome. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

rmfa, I looked on my iPad and couldn't find any cached videos, but that's not to say I was looking in the right place. I did find one video I tried on the DJI Go app, but I was still learning how to do all this stuff and stay out of the trees too. So I need to look on the memory card ? Any tips are welcome. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

With the latest iOS app, you will find them under "Editor: Video" provided that you have "General Settings: Video Cache" set to "Recording".

Nice, quick thinking. Yes, while the quality may not be that great, you should still upload that cached video. Would be very interesting to see!

Could not reach the area -- as we live on a Ridge of Mountain --- the area it was close to was much too high for us to hit with hose...
Ridge of a mountain and sending out flying candles? ummh? seems pretty dumb, lucky you did not burn the hole mountain and neighborhood down !

It dont show any videos, it will only show the path on the map even if did have a card and record videos, but snap shots will be on the flight record.

Maybe only the ipad will do it, I know my droid Shield will not.

I had my first crash with the P4. First let me say I have logged over 17 hours/close more than 720,000ft already on the P4 -- The machine is awesome! No complaints. I did have one flight where gps/imu started acting up and my max height got restricted as I was flying (that scared me..) but on to the real story.

My wife is planning a party for one of our kids (18th birthday on Friday) she acquired some Japanese Lanterns (yes the flaming floating death tissues). Well any way --- she decided it would be a good idea to test one before Friday --- so 10:30pm on Weds night -- is the perfect time. It goes off --- looking good -- then the winds changed and now the nice pretty fire -- is on top of my roof -- and getting brighter --- (no ladder or hose could reach --- I did what only a truly addicted Phantom pilot would do... Ran in and got the quad... got it off the ground -- and into the air -- I was able to blow the flaming house eater off the roof -- and put it out --- but in the process -- the bird hit a prop and flipped onto a portion of the roof --- and that's where it is now --- (I'm waiting for someone to come help get it down...) It spent the night up there....

Not sure what all the damage is -- but I'm positive the least of it will be a couple broken props if I'm lucky.

But any way -- I did sacrifice the P4 for the roof of the house --- but hey (I did get DJI care -- just hoping I will not need it...)
Last year, before I got my P3P I was flying my old Phantom FC40 over a church and crashed into the steel cross on their roof. The drone was upside down on the slanted shingled roof. The motors would still spin so I was able to "walk" it down the slope of the roof and when it hit the gutters it flipped right side up as it left the roof. I was able to fly it to where I was standing on the parking lot and land it safely. Other than the bruised propellers, the Phantom was fine.

Reactions: Numone and Sim597
I was watching YouTube with crashes of drones. I did see some amazing instances where the **** thing hit a building, two actually, hit buildings and one fell like 30 stories and was able to right itself! The other righted itself in what seemed to be about 25'. Even upside down, they're able to right themselves! Pretty impressive to be honest

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie