P4 RTH speed too fast

Reaction score
Is there a way to slow down the RTH on a P4? It comes screaming home then slams on the brakes. It's probably stressing the blades and using excessive batteries.

Is there a way to slow down the RTH on a P4? It comes screaming home then slams on the brakes. It's probably stressing the blades and using excessive batteries.
No ...you can't change that but you could always cancel RTH and do the driving at whatever speed you want.
What speed is it doing?
RTH should be about 10 metres/sec which is quite sedate and wouldn't put any strain on the props or shell.

I wish I could speed mine up. SOOO slow I always end up cancelling and manual fly home. Faster RTH speed would be a bonus for me, be glad you have it.

No ...you can't change that but you could always cancel RTH and do the driving at whatever speed you want.
What speed is it doing?
RTH should be about 10 metres/sec which is quite sedate and wouldn't put any strain on the props or shell.

Doing the conversion from MPH, that's about what it's doing. Would like it to be do a slow down when it gets closer to home. :(
Sounds like an option for some software. When it's speeding home and heading for a major highway, there's that moment when the heart goes to the throat waiting (& hoping) that it does, in fact, stop before it gets to the highway.

BTW, I like your seagull. My company is White Bird Aerial Imaging, LLC.

Doing the conversion from MPH, that's about what it's doing. Would like it to be do a slow down when it gets closer to home. :(
Sounds like an option for some software. When it's speeding home and heading for a major highway, there's that moment when the heart goes to the throat waiting (& hoping) that it does, in fact, stop before it gets to the highway.

BTW, I like your seagull. My company is White Bird Aerial Imaging, LLC.
Sounds to me like it's doing exactly as it should, it's just that you're not used to the way it functions in RTH mode. I too sometimes think, is it going to stop or just keep flying by. But it always stops on the dime and then lands, no issues.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Check out altitude readings as can be incorrect so craft think being higher than reallity therefore late reduce speed descend. I recommend to cxl RTH and finalize landing manually if possible, aka craft still connected to RC. My experience is that since some GO app or craft version the descend speed in RTH is way more agressive the last 10 meters or so than previously.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
For me RTH is only in the event that I loose communication and the bird will come back close enough for me to regain control. Don't RTH to get back home if your battery is getting low, many pilots and myself fly about 30mph (13mps) to get the most distance vs power use, if you RTH and go 8mph or 22mph you may not make it. I never use RTH, the bird uses RTH to find my signal if lost, for me it's not a auto pilot. Like Rémy said, land the bird yourself because they do come in hot.

Reactions: RémyHeli

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31