P4 Return to Me (not to home)

Reaction score
All,
So I do quite a bit of flying out over water while offshore. The obvious problem with this is that the "home point" isn't really valid, since the boat is constantly on the move. I do have it set so that in the event of communication loss, the P4 will just hover and wont return to home. This way, I can steer the boat to its last location to try to re-establish connection and land it.

I do have one question: Is there a way to have the drone automatically fly back to my current location? For instance, if I am fishing and the P4 is in the air and a fish bites, chaos can break loose on the boat to try to bring the fish in. It would be great if I could just hit a button and have the drone fly back to my location (where the controller is located). I don't want to have to update the home point or anything like that, basically I would like to set the RTH button to RTM (me) instead of home. Possible?

Keep in mind, no cell service offshore for my phone. GPS does still work.

Is there a way to have the drone automatically fly back to my current location?
No. You would have to reset the home point to your current location and then initiate RTH.

There is a dynamic home point mode. I believe this would do what you want. I keep my set to hover when at the lake. I feel most comfortable if I lose signal top just have it stay

Sent from my SM-N910V using PhantomPilots mobile app

There is a dynamic home point mode. I believe this would do what you want.
The P4 has no such feature. It's only possible to manually reset the home point after takeoff.

So let me see if I get this right. If I am on my boat and launch the P4. The RTH is set at the location where its first launched. So in a RTH scenario the drone would fly back to that initial point even though my boat has moved. Am I correct so far? Then, assuming I have communication between the drone and the controller can I change the RTH location to where my boat is now located and have the drone fly there?

My thinking is that I may not see the drone. I may not be able to tell where it currently is but still have communications so I if I could change my RTH to my new controller location I could do that then tell the drone to RTH and it would come back to my new location.

Doable?

If you're on a boat, you best know how to takeoff and land manually or you don't have any business launching. Flying "automated" on a floating point in space is foolish at best and downright dangerous at worst.

Reactions: QuadBart
ifsteve, what you described above is correct.

If you're on a boat, you best know how to takeoff and land manually or you don't have any business launching. Flying "automated" on a floating point in space is foolish at best and downright dangerous at worst.
I intend fully to takeoff and land manually. That wasn't my question. I was merely asking if I could use a manual change to RTH if the event I lost track of the drone. So it would approach back to my new location so I could get it back under direct control.

ifsteve, what you described above is correct.
Thanks for a straight answer.

Reactions: QuadBart
I intend fully to takeoff and land manually. That wasn't my question. I was merely asking if I could use a manual change to RTH if the event I lost track of the drone. So it would approach back to my new location so I could get it back under direct control.

Thanks for a straight answer.

Yes you can , I have done it to practice in a Big field took of and walked and reset the RTH point and it came there .

Be careful changing the home point during flight. There have been several reports of the new home point location not being recorded correctly. If the home point is in error and happens to be outside of the maximum flight radius that you have set the drone will immediately start flying toward that home point.

Wow. Really? Telling the OP he "has no business" doing what he wants with his drone? Then calling him foolish? And suggesting he is "downright dangerous?" Enough said.

Reactions: The Brit

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj