P4 Pro v2 Obstacle Detection sensitivity - smoke and dust

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm new to drone usage having just finished my Australian RePL and AROC. I'm a Ranger with National Parks and purchased the P4 to use on asset inspections and wildfire operations. On a recent deployment to a wildfire I put the aircraft up to look for a hotspot in a valley. After taking off the machine proved difficult to control as it kept detecting obstacles and stopping. Detection distances showing on the radar (DJI Go 4 app) were down to 0.5m at times and varied in locations (back, front and sides). I finished up turning the detection off to get it back home as there were times the aircraft would not move - a bit of a worry with it stationary at 80m over a heavily timbered valley with the low battery warning sounding. There was a small amount of smoke and dust in the air and this is the only reason I could attribute to the aircrafts strange behaviour.

Has anyone experienced similar behaviour in these type of conditions?

Can the 'sensitivity' be adjusted?

Thanks in advance

Update - I should have added that I have prop guards installed due to the 'friendly' nature of some of our eagles and falcons. Reading a few more threads shows that the guards can interfere with the OA. Is this correct?

Last edited:
I have flown in fog and have not had that problem with my P4.
Flying toward the sun can cause that problem. It has been a big deal which can only be resolved by turning the sensors off.

I have never experienced this. I photograph buildings and get really close to them, so I programmed my C2 button to lower the sensor's range and get up close to look for cracks and such.

Reactions: Oso

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl