P4 owners update - Has the famous shell cracking finally been solved by DJI?

Reaction score
Has anyone had any cracks on the p4 yet?

Hows yours going?

Have your checked it over after every flight to make sure?

Some updates would be nice.

There has been one crack reported that I've seen, but that could well just be a manufacturing defect, not a design flaw.

Curious to, but is it to early to say, phantom 4 not been out long. But it looks promising that dji have solved the problem:)

Curious to, but is it to early to say, phantom 4 not been out long. But it looks promising that dji have solved the problem:)

Not really too early. I think it's the fact people haven't checked been as the Motor screws are under the led covers or something?..

I would have thought this would have been a major concern to previous p3 owners moving up to the p4.

Reactions: dewster
There has been one crack reported that I've seen, but that could well just be a manufacturing defect, not a design flaw.

Hmm.. Lets hope people have took the time to balance their props before first flight, this will eliminate the question about cracks due to props being out of balance. (Which can lead to vibrations causing stress cracks) - if that were to be the case.

Not really too early. I think it's the fact people haven't checked been as the Motor screws are under the led covers or something?..

I would have thought this would have been a major concern to previous p3 owners moving up to the p4.
That's very true, unless one is to look under the LED covers, they're likely not going to see if their shell is beginning to crack.

If the mods don't like the link I'm sure they will remove it...

Facebook

Get this Facebook error...

Sorry, this content isn't available right now
The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.

It is a closed group I think so that is probably your problem. Not much I can do about that, but FWIW, the 'crack' was a small split in the middle of the front face of the upper bodyshell extending from the edge for about 5mm judging from the photo.

I still tend to think this was most likely a minor molding failure rather than a stress crack given the location and nature of the split.

It is a closed group I think so that is probably your problem. Not much I can do about that, but FWIW, the 'crack' was a small split in the middle of the front face of the upper bodyshell extending from the edge for about 5mm judging from the photo.

I still tend to think this was most likely a minor molding failure rather than a stress crack given the location and nature of the split.

Save the photo and reupload it to imgur or something, so we can see.

I'm not going to copy content out of a closed group, I will link this thread over there and if the OP wants to repost here he may do so of course.

I'm not going to copy content out of a closed group, I will link this thread over there and if the OP wants to repost here he may do so of course.

No worries.

Just seen a second report and sorry, the crack is in the lower white shell just above the A and the N in 'PHANTOM'.

Same place in both reported cases. Looks like it may be a fault caused during assembly perhaps?

five flights on mine and no cracks.
just gave it a good look over.

That's very true, unless one is to look under the LED covers, they're likely not going to see if their shell is beginning to crack.

There is no chance of motor separation in the new P4s. The P4s design of the higher motor isn't just to minimise props appearing in vids, its also to accommodate for the double layer motor mounts. Both the top shell and lower shell are used to hold the motors. Each motor is held by 3 screws and assembled in the following order - bottom shell > top shell > motor. The top shell now acts additional reinforcement and eliminates the chances of motor separation.

I highly doubt the P4 will develop cracks after all the P3 trouble ppl had. Im sure DJI did everything to prevent that in the P4, it would be almost funny and slapstick if that would happen again in the P4. I dont have a P4 and i dont want to buy one but i still cant imagine this scenario. They even marketed the P4 as beeing tougher with a stiffer shell etc... The P3 had more or less a Phantom2 or Phantom1 shell in its design and materials. the P4 is totally different, they just kept the famous form factor.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1