P4 or Typhoon H for real estate

Reaction score
Hello, I've been looking to buy either the Phantom 4 or Typhoon H to use for real estate listings, my wife is a real estate agent and I'm going to get the FAA 107 when it comes out. We have also talked to a number of her agent friends and they are interested in compensating me to take aerial footage for their listings as well. I'm so torn on which to buy.

On one hand I like the Typhoon H for the Hex, retractable legs and 360 camera. Also in my opinion if I'm going out to people's houses I think the H looks more professional than the phantom 4 (just my opinion) also I like the idea of team mode to take better video and photos.

Now what I like with the P4 is better range, the app, software and better hover capabilities I just don't like the looks of it.

What do you think is the best choice for Real Estate aerial imaging?

Hello, I've been looking to buy either the Phantom 4 or Typhoon H to use for real estate listings, my wife is a real estate agent and I'm going to get the FAA 107 when it comes out. We have also talked to a number of her agent friends and they are interested in compensating me to take aerial footage for their listings as well. I'm so torn on which to buy.

On one hand I like the Typhoon H for the Hex, retractable legs and 360 camera. Also in my opinion if I'm going out to people's houses I think the H looks more professional than the phantom 4 (just my opinion) also I like the idea of team mode to take better video and photos.

Now what I like with the P4 is better range, the app, software and better hover capabilities I just don't like the looks of it.

What do you think is the best choice for Real Estate aerial imaging?

May want to go on the sister site and read what H owners have to say about the H. There seem to be a number of issues that Yuneec still needs to work through. Reviews and real life experience shows the P4's camera to be superior. I understand your concern about the P4 looking more like a toy. Another benefit to the P4 is that it's smaller, allowing you to fly through more narrow places around the homes you are filming.

May want to go on the sister site and read what H owners have to say about the H. There seem to be a number of issues that Yuneec still needs to work through. Reviews and real life experience shows the P4's camera to be superior. I understand your concern about the P4 looking more like a toy. Another benefit to the P4 is that it's smaller, allowing you to fly through more narrow places around the homes you are filming.
Thank you, I joined the yuneecpilot thread and I so see a lot of complaints about the camera. I've also seen video footage from the H on YouTube that looks amazing and then some that is pretty bad. Seems like a quality control problem.

Honestly I really like everything about the P4 better except it being a quad compared to a hex and the looks of the machine. Maybe I'm just being too picky.

In using the AC for work, take into account ease of use. How long does it take to unpack and repack each unit. The last thing you want is to spend half an hour setting up and the same packing up.

Reactions: Weinersnitzelz
Thank you, I joined the yuneecpilot thread and I so see a lot of complaints about the camera. I've also seen video footage from the H on YouTube that looks amazing and then some that is pretty bad. Seems like a quality control problem.

Honestly I really like everything about the P4 better except it being a quad compared to a hex and the looks of the machine. Maybe I'm just being too picky.
Impressing the customer with your photography gear has value. A really good way to mitigate this problem since the P4 looks more like a toy is to buy a GoProfessional or Microrapter hard case that makes you look like you're serious about videography. Also buy an OSMO to supplement your indoor shooting options. You can get really creative with an OSMO.

Bottom line, the P4 is way more sophisticated than TH from a software point of view. For instance the software will show you when your over exposed in the display with stripes, letting you know to pay attention to that particular scene and correct the issue, not available on the TH. One touch exposure, just touch the iPad screen and the GO app auto corrects the exposure of that shot, not available on TH. Plus, there are several third party navigation apps available for Phantom for big properties to automate the capture (big learning curve for this option) , not available for TH. Setup time for the P4, ready to fly can be 1 to 2 min once you get the hang of it. The TH will take much longer, more like 5-8min. And yes, TH is bigger and can't fly as safely in close quarters, as DsAdvanced mentioned. If you want to use prop guards for safety, the TH is a hassle to install those, check it out. The P4 guards simply and quickly clip in and out, less than a minute.

Yes, P4 has more range, but for real estate you don't need that much range. However you'll definitely get spoiled with the P4 range and want more after you "get high.....from flight".
As for the HEX advantage, I've never heard of a motor or ESC problem with P4 yet, they seem reliable from that aspect. No doubt that having the redundancy is cool to have, and I've seen the TH fly on 5 motors. It works pretty good, but in the real world I don't think the advantage outweighs all the disadvantages.

One huge issue is taking the TH on vacation with you is a major pain when flying airlines. You have to check the drone, you cannot carry it on because it's too big. However you have to remove the LiPo batteries and carry those on the plane (FAA rule). With the P4 you simply carry everything on in a 22X14X9" Phantom backpack, and then during vacation you have a handy backpack to tote the drone around, no hassles. It's so convenient.

There are thousands doing real estate videos with Phantoms. Even a P3A would work good at almost half the cost. The VPS system works very good on P4 as backup to GPS, not available on TH.

When you get your 107 cert, make sure you get commercial drone insurance, and form an LLC or S Corp to protect your personal assets. Those will cost you about $2000/yr (California numbers) just to be in business. Or you can do like others and hope nothing goes wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: D'sAdvanced
Hi Weinersnitzelz . . . my 2 cents:
Both have tiny sensors mounted to fixed focus lenses, so the image quality is not likely to be 'outstanding' from either one (decent quality, and I suspect suitable for many real estate situations, but I don't really know what price point you're dealing with and how picky you are about image quality). The CG03+ on the H has a wider FOV so curved horizons can be an issue, but the larger FOV may come in handy if you can't get far enough away from your subject.

Not sure that range will be a big issue unless you're shooting very large (multi acre) properties. If you're shooting in an urban area, interference could be an issue, and I believe the DJI system has a slight advantage there. Keep in mind that if you'll be operating under part 107, you'll need to maintain visual contact with the drone, so unless you plan to use an observer, anything further than about 1000' and I think you'll be hard pressed to actually see it anymore (or have a really hard time finding it if you take your eyes off it for a second).

It's a subjective area, but I liked DJI's human factors a little more than Yuneec's - little things like their app showing battery percentage instead of just voltage, and being able to quickly tell how much juice a battery has left. I really came to appreciate this when I came back to DJI from a Yuneec copter.

The H does look more 'industrial' but the P4 is much more discreet and to my eyes more polished. Images and results will generally speak louder than the drone, so unless you need to 'sell' someone on you and your drone beforehand, I'd suggest putting more emphasis on the other criteria.

If you're flying in neighborhoods you may want to think about noise. When I was considering the H, I had read that it is fairly quiet, but I haven't heard one, and the comments may have really been saying "quiet for a hex." The P4 is very quiet and unless someone is in their yard or in the house with the windows open, they probably wouldn't even notice me flying around (especially if there's a lawnmower running nearby).

Lastly, I thought that the retractable gear was pretty cool (probably because I fly airplanes with wheels that go into wells), but it's one more thing to be aware of, one more switch to fiddle with, and one more thing that can malfunction. The P4 is ridiculously simple and my "goto bird" for most situations - far from perfect, but a surprisingly capable, easy to use, all around performer.

I think you have a fun decision to make . . . I hope this helps.

Driver and John, thank you for the input! After weeks of research and watching countless videos I have decided on the P4 you guys helped end the decision! Now to get one and practice before the 107 cert comes out. I've flown fixed wind RC aircraft for years so I hope the transition to a multi-rotor will be smooth. I've been watching videos on how to shoot real estate video. I think that aspect will be more difficult than the actual flying. Im also familiar with post editing videos and photos so wish me luck! Thanks again.

FWIW, I had a good purchase experience at the Apple Store - no hassle for returns/exchanges (my previous one had a wonky lens and I was able to exchange it as a walk-in). Also, DJI has a battery discount deal to customers that buy a P4 through Apple which looks like it's still around - though now you have to email them some info to get the coupon code - 50% off P4 battery in the DJI store (DJI, not Apple). Unclear how many batteries you can apply the discount to under the new version of the promotion since the website doesn't say. If you're interested: https://store.dji.com/phantom-4-apple/

I've heard many have had good luck with Best Buy and they are a little more common than Apple Stores. (For a while they had a bundle for the P4 with an extra battery that basically priced the extra battery 50% off - similar to the Apple deal, but was limited to 1 battery.)

Lots of of other good local and mail order dealers that you can find on the forum if that works better for you.

I had no prior RC experience and found the P4 fairly easy to learn. It's a very stable craft. Just start with it in a large open space until you get a hang for the controls (whose sensitivity can be adjusted). As you've correctly noted, flying's the easy part, 'filming' will be harder.

Good luck!

I like the Typhoon H for the Hex, retractable legs and 360 camera.
My Inspire 1 has these features and I found both of them to be rather useless. It's easier and less disorienting to yaw the aircraft instead.

my opinion if I'm going out to people's houses I think the H looks more professional than the phantom 4 (just my opinion)
Are you going to make money by impressing people by the looks of your gear or getting the desired results by showing up on site with the right gear for the job? The cool factor of your gear will be quickly forgotten if you're not able to produce the results your clients are expecting.

I was in a very similar position, I had actually paid a deposit and preordered the Typhoon H. I really liked the look of it and I also thought the DJI series of drones all looked like toys. I also liked the look of the Xiro Xplorer Vision which I owned for a couple of months prior to seeing the Typhoon H on the net. The fact that the release of the H was delayed by over 2 months here in Australia and I had read some later reviews that were not favourable. The decider for me was when a reviewer was testing the H with the Wizard and it flew away never to be seen again. This struck a chord with me as I had a fly away with the Xiro Xplorer and I must say it was gut wrenching. I now have the P4, much much better machine for my money.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik