P4 no warranty for frame, propeller, or carrying case.

Reaction score
I was on the Apple website looking up the P4 and it talks about DJI warranty on the new p4 and one thing I noticed is no warranty for frame, propeller, or carrying case.
So what that tells me is if the shell or frame cracked due to stress from the motors they will not warranty the p4.

Warranty: 12 months for remote control and central processor; six months for battery, gimbal camera, and motors; no warranty for frame, propeller, or carrying case.

DJI Phantom 4 Camera Drone

So what that tells me is they will no longer warranty any stress cracks on the frame or shell which is nice to know because I was thinking about buying the P4 because my P3 cracked at the rear motors on the frame likely DJI warranty my P3 it is supposed to be showing up today by FedEx so least I will be back into the air and flying but I was hoping to purchase the P4 and not ever have to worry about a cracking issue again now I am on the fence and worried about spending $1400 and not having any kind of warranty due to a manufacture defect on the frame.

Reactions: bighi
Buy from a company that will be easy to return to in case you have problems, Bestbuy or Amazon would be a good bet. These things are not meant to fly forever but it does say that the "composite core unibody is lighter and sturdier than Aluminum" I seriously doubt we will be seeing stress cracks with the P4.

Reactions: Jussaguy
Buy from a company that will be easy to return to in case you have problems, Bestbuy or Amazon would be a good bet. These things are not meant to fly forever but it does say that the "composite core unibody is lighter and sturdier than Aluminum" I seriously doubt we will be seeing stress cracks with the P4.
Or buy from DJI and save the sales tax! I doubt the frame replacement cost will exceed the sales tax, if there is a warranteed crash, and it needs replacement, and they insist upon charging for it. Or, put the saved sales tax towards one of the new repair plans, which include coverage for pilot error!

I purchased from Bestbuy in November and have done 5 exchanges because I couldn't get a unit with a camera that was focused correctly. Also I sent the last one in to DJI to be repaired because the gimbal was off and would tilt randomly during flight and even during hover. DJI replaced the camera and gimbal assembly and I had a working unit for 2 flights and then the tilt came back again. I just took it back to Bestbuy and they said that since it was outside of the return period all they could do was refund me a gift card. Well I was about to buy a tv from them anyway so it is the same as if I had just sold my P3P for 100% of what I had paid for it. Now I am buying the P4 from Apple but I could just as well wait until the 23rd and buy it from Bestbuy. So all in all I think my paying sales tax in order to get brick and mortar customer service was well worth it, all I have to do is sell my batteries and I am already 1/3rd of the way done with that. I got $1254 back from Bestbuy and the P4 cost $1400 plus tax, easy upgrade for me.

I purchased from Bestbuy in November and have done 5 exchanges because I couldn't get a unit with a camera that was focused correctly. Also I sent the last one in to DJI to be repaired because the gimbal was off and would tilt randomly during flight and even during hover. DJI replaced the camera and gimbal assembly and I had a working unit for 2 flights and then the tilt came back again. I just took it back to Bestbuy and they said that since it was outside of the return period all they could do was refund me a gift card. Well I was about to buy a tv from them anyway so it is the same as if I had just sold my P3P for 100% of what I had paid for it. Now I am buying the P4 from Apple but I could just as well wait until the 23rd and buy it from Bestbuy. So all in all I think my paying sales tax in order to get brick and mortar customer service was well worth it, all I have to do is sell my batteries and I am already 1/3rd of the way done with that. I got $1254 back from Bestbuy and the P4 cost $1400 plus tax, easy upgrade for me.
Good deal! Supposedly, Best Buy won't accept returns on crashed birds, but if you spend $1500 annually, you have a 30 day full return for performance issues. Best Buy will also price match B&H, which usually has the lowest online price. I missed out on the Xmas sale price at Best Buy when my original P3P crashed on January 1 due to the battery shutoff in midair, but Best Buy matched B&H the day after, which was almost the same as the Xmas price. If you want or need one today, there's nothing like walking into Best Buy and bringing one home. Mine required an IMU calibration to fly correctly. They apparently get pretty beat up in shipping by the time you get them from Best Buy. I also paid sales tax on my first P3P from another brick and mortar just to get it immediately, as they had one in stock, and the online merchants were all backordered. I am happily surprised DJI is paying the state sales tax on all P4 preorders.

I was on the Apple website looking up the P4 and it talks about DJI warranty on the new p4 and one thing I noticed is no warranty for frame, propeller, or carrying case.
So what that tells me is if the shell or frame cracked due to stress from the motors they will not warranty the p4.

Warranty: 12 months for remote control and central processor; six months for battery, gimbal camera, and motors; no warranty for frame, propeller, or carrying case.

DJI Phantom 4 Camera Drone
...and the "carrying case" is really just a fancy fragile styrofoam shipping box! :p Great for the back seat of the car, but not designed for serious travel.

Good deal! Supposedly, Best Buy won't accept returns on crashed birds, but if you spend $1500 annually, you have a 30 day full return for performance issues. Best Buy will also price match B&H, which usually has the lowest online price. I missed out on the Xmas sale price at Best Buy when my original P3P crashed on January 1 due to the battery shutoff in midair, but Best Buy matched B&H the day after, which was almost the same as the Xmas price. If you want or need one today, there's nothing like walking into Best Buy and bringing one home. Mine required an IMU calibration to fly correctly. They apparently get pretty beat up in shipping by the time you get them from Best Buy. I also paid sales tax on my first P3P from another brick and mortar just to get it immediately, as they had one in stock, and the online merchants were all backordered. I am happily surprised DJI is paying the state sales tax on all P4 preorders.

Don't jump to any hasty conclusions, wait until DJI releases the User Manual & Warranty documents.
If the information is still not clear, a direct answer, then clarification from DJI would be necessary
How can you complain about the official DJI warranty, when you haven't even seen it yet, and the P4 has still not been shipped !!

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Don't jump to any hasty conclusions, wait until DJI releases the User Manual & Warranty documents.
If the information is still not clear, a direct answer, then clarification from DJI would be necessary
How can you complain about the official DJI warranty, when you haven't even seen it yet, and the P4 has still not been shipped !!

This is what it says on the Apple website:
Warranty
Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.

Seems as good as if DJI said it themselves.

This is what it says on the Apple website:
Warranty
Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.

Seems as good as if DJI said it themselves.

Read the first sentence of the above post, Apple states that the product is serviced & supported in accordance with the terms PACKAGED WITHIN the product.
What Apple is basically saying is that,when you walk out the door, good-by, you are on your own.
Buy from DJI or Amazon, you will be better serviced.
I find it hard to believe that DJI will not warranty the frame.

So what that tells me is they will no longer warranty any stress cracks on the frame or shell which is nice to know because I was thinking about buying the P4 because my P3 cracked at the rear motors on the frame likely DJI warranty my P3 it is supposed to be showing up today by FedEx so least I will be back into the air and flying but I was hoping to purchase the P4 and not ever have to worry about a cracking issue again now I am on the fence and worried about spending $1400 and not having any kind of warranty due to a manufacture defect on the frame.

Keep on thing in mind regarding the phantom 4 shell. Mind you, 100% of my flights are long distance. Long distance isn't done at 3/4 speed. It's done at full speed, sustained, usually at 120 meters. In my case always over ocean. I cracked two phantom 3. Not to mention every phantom before it and never crashed once. Transitions were slow but full speed was always sustained. I got very familiar with the intricacies of the phantom 3 shell after repairing number one all over the place. The problem with every phantom, plastics quality and thickness aside, was that the motors were held against the bottom shell alone. So you had twisting and pulling forces acting upon that area with the four motor screws. Then there was the twisting forces which, on the phantom 3, also affected the two side by side screw holes between the lights and motor area. The twisting had end end result of forcing open that area. Then of course came the strong arm kits which provided a stronger screw surface for the bottom of the shell. It also added plastic under the motor mount area. An area that has zero strengthening from the upper shell since it never contacts the motors. Only the bottom shell does whose inherent lack of torsional strength was onky rectified by the two side by side arm screws and that tiny screw at the end of the arm. Not on the phantom 4. As you watch the video below, pause it a few times and give a good look at how the motors are mounted on the phantom 4. Hiding under the round led lenses, are the motor mount screws. These go through the bottom shell, top shell (one single piece on both, thereby having the top and bottom shell be the motor mount. Also, by just the action the motors being mounted and tightened, the arms are also closed shut. Top and bottom half working in conjunction and thereby having what was previously phantom 3 crack area number 1 be subjected to far less stress. So much so that DJI put only one screw there this time. Considering how much crap they had to take regarding phantom 3 cracks, they must have learned a thing or two. I myself feel feel that the new phantom 4 motor mount is far stronger. Now this still depends on plastic quality to an extent. They are saying that the motors are mounted higher to stay out of camera view. Sure. But I have a very strong feeling that this was not the prime intent. Prime intent was a far stronger top/bottom shell motor mount/top bottom fastening which necessitated a motor mounted a little higher. I will order one purely for a little more speed and strength. I could care less about anything else. I fly far and at full speed and am tired of cracks. If this one cracks I'll be done with it and get an inspire with the cheapest camera. Anyway, here is the video. Watch slowly, pause often and one can see the massive differences in motor mounting and top and bottom shell fastening. Not only that, this time they seem to be marketing something they haven't done before. Speed. Almost condoning it. Good because that's exactly what I'll be using it for. Take off ans go up and away 3 to 4 km over sea.

Last edited:
I watched the video again. I finally figured out these arms on the phantom 4 shell. First the top and bottom. Stay together from the motor mounting. Top and bottom. Then a single screw by where the two "crackers" were on our phantom 3. It barely needs to be there now since the way the motor is mounted provides more strength than even the strong arms did on the phantom 3. Another screw, single, by the landing gear. I kept seeing two side by side screw holes in the video but couldn't find these screws in the pictures. I figured it out. I think they are under the venting screens. I also noticed that the clips we had in the center area of our phantom 3 shells are now in the arms of the phantom 4 as well. If the plastic is better this just might be one very tough bird.

Not only that, this time they seem to be marketing something they haven't done before. Speed. Almost condoning it. Good because that's exactly what I'll be using it for. Take off ans go up and away 3 to 4 km over sea.
Love me some speed! :cool: It will emulate the Shark Tank flying wing that can quickly fly at high speed to your remote video location, hang around to get the shot, and return back just as fast, battery power permitting! 45mph at your fingertips, anytime, to track a train, a car, or a speedboat!:D

Reactions: bighi
Or buy from DJI and save the sales tax! I doubt the frame replacement cost will exceed the sales tax, if there is a warranteed crash, and it needs replacement, and they insist upon charging for it. Or, put the saved sales tax towards one of the new repair plans, which include coverage for pilot error!
Or save the sales tax and buy the DJI care because that's what they want you to buy. I'll buy mine in a year because if something happens to my bird in the first year, they will be fixing it, for not a penny.

Why are you worried about warranty on the cheepest part? A new shell on P3P is $80. I can never figure out why people spend 3 months with DJI trying to get shell replaced?
  1. The "cheepest" (cheapest) part would technically be the Anti-drop Kit ($2), or if you want the cheapest 'legit' part, the landing gear at 12.
  2. A shell is $60, not $80.
  3. Why pay $60 dollars when you can get it for free? Plus, there may be other internal issues if the shell was damaged in a crash.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4