P4 No Professional/Advanced Version ?

Is there really anything so great about it that you would give up your phantom 3 ?
Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Nope but it is the latest and greatest.

Was it an announced by DJI that this would be the only version? How do we know there will not shortly follow an advanced/professional version offering different functionality?

They will milk the P4 for everything it's worth. Look at it this way - what you buy now is technically the P4 Standard.

Well I'm not buying at this point but I anxiously await to see those who are early in.

Well I'm not buying at this point but I anxiously await to see those who are early in.

Same. So many new technologies converging...many still imperfect. We are in the honeymoon period right now. Give it about 6 months for it all to wear off and we can see what we have when the dust settles.

i doubt very seriously that they would limit themselves revenue wise to 1 model when they sold P3P/A and S like hot cakes. They will release other P4 models and cash in

Just letting you know what they said. They can obviously change their mind.

Nope but it is the latest and greatest.
Looking for someone that wants to give up their p3p. To get the latest and greatest. $400. Any takers ? Hehe :)

Just letting you know what they said.

I'm glad you mentioned that because I didn't see the official presentation. What follows is not meant as a rebuke but rather, conjecture.

I do recall reading that the avg production price of a Phantom is around $250. So even on the least expensive model they're raking in at least 100% profit. The higher models are gravy because the actual cost of production for the "higher end" systems comes down to tiny components for things like Lightbridge instead of WiFi. In practical terms this equates to peanuts, it's more about charging for their considerable engineering IP than anything else because the competition still can't match DJI's range.

So at the end of the day, DJI is most profitable when it's selling the highest amount of volume for a given model. Every model released lately looks like a test to see if they can capture an elusive slice of the market. It's possible that has backfired to some extent by creating confusion with first time buyers who can't figure out the value proposition for each model and are reluctant to make a purchase as a result.

I still think we'll see a sort of "plus" version with 1" sensor arrive within 6 months. The competition has to be working on something better than GoPro class camera chips and DJI's last move was a direct move toward preempting the competition. Or perhaps they'll finally launch an entirely new class between the Inspire and Phantom that bridges the gap.

I think the new Phantom 4 is amazing. But... IMHO the very nicest thing about it? The big drop in prices for the Phantom 3 Pro... :)

-slinger

Reactions: Tony Cowan
P4 is a evolutionary change. They are probably working on something that is a more revolutionary change in both design and camera capability. Thus maybe just the one P4 model. I would not be surprised if the more advanced changes come to an updated Inspire beforehand though.

Looking for someone that wants to give up their p3p. To get the latest and greatest. $400. Any takers ? Hehe :)

Naw man.. I would keep them both, but thanks for offering to rob me.. Just not enough new to make me want it over my P3P.

Reactions: Tony Cowan
I think there will be other models released this year probably pretty early on. It might not be a "Phantom" though. One of the DJi reps in another forum posted something like "wait until you see what is coming next" the other day.

Also, DJi is dumping P3P/A's on the market for dirt cheap prices (eBay) and they are discounting a lot of spare parts for them as well. Something else is most definitely coming they want the legacy hardware cleared out it seems.

Ambarella is announcing a new 4K 60fps chip with H265 encoder ... mhhh ... We will have a P4 Professional in 6 month .... just a bet ...

Reactions: zacksomeone
I don`t think they will change their business tactics, it look like they release a new product every 3-4 months, so we can expect a P4 Advanced and or Pro in 3-4 months after the rush of P4 Buyers(Just before summer). when their sales start to drop again.

Ambarella is announcing a new 4K 60fps chip with H265 encoder ... mhhh ... We will have a P4 Professional in 6 month .... just a bet ...

You won't. The H2 won't go to the Phantom 4. It will go to the Inspire first. The A9 class will continue to service the Phantom line for at least another year.

Furthermore, DJI over-segmented the P3 with 4 different models. And subsequent models were all downmarket (i.e. P3S and P3/4K). If they segment the P4, which they've already said they won't, they will do so with a P4 Standard.

You won't. The H2 won't go to the Phantom 4. It will go to the Inspire first. The A9 class will continue to service the Phantom line for at least another year.

Furthermore, DJI over-segmented the P3 with 4 different models. And subsequent models were all downmarket (i.e. P3S and P3/4K). If they segment the P4, which they've already said they won't, they will do so with a P4 Standard.

May be .. Probably DJI will not go farther with Inspire V2.0 camera but they will go with Inspire Pro line, leaving P4 some new higher model space, having a 2 P4 model line. H12, H1 and/or H2 chip will come to P4 fast (they are mostly hw/sw compatible with A9), but your estimate of 1 year is probably right. H1/H2 line chips are interesting for DJI to push P4 on the pro and semi-pro sport video segment with an affordable price.
We'll see....

I'm with ian. If there will be any new Phantom 4 later, it won't be a higher spec. Should be a standard version

The P4 doesn't make much sense at the moment. If they do offer a 'Standard' model, what's the selling point? It will have to lack sensing technology to differentiate itself from the current P4 but there's no camera downgrade that wouldn't place it below the old P3 line. So you are looking at a P3 with a shiny shell. Maybe one which is WiFi only, but has the obstacle avoidance? The P4 as a single model only makes sense if they keep the P3 line going alongside it.

If they segment the P4, which they've already said they won't, they will do so with a P4 Standard.

The P4 currently has no surname whatsoever, so that just seems strange from a naming convention standpoint... they'd then have to call it a Sub-Standard or Really Basic in order to differentiate.

If they're at least a year out on releasing better camera tech then I do see them losing customer upgrade sales. They have a good low-price P3 lineup as it stands now. IMO they should go upmarket further, in between the Phantom and Inspire where frustrated prosumers and enthusiasts wish to fist their money over ($1500-$2000) for some better camera chops.

I think they should go upmarket as well. They used to focus a lot of effort on the professional end of their products. But the money is in the masses.

Other than the X5, DJI's product mix is trending further into the consumer mass market. The P4 is simply a refresh and a continuation of targeting a premium consumer demographic a la Apple.

If there is another P4 version, it will be for those who thought the first one was too expensive.

Reactions: Shaiful Rizhuan

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj