P4 Newbie-Which direction am I flying?

Reaction score
Fly by app or by line of sight? So far I have only flown the P4 in bright outside conditions, and it was very hard to see the iPad display due to reflections, so I kept the P4 close enough to me so I could see the red lights, thus I would know which direction to move the sticks in relation to the red lights. Fun for a few flights, but I'd like to know what to look for on the display to determine for sure which direction I am flying and which direction to move the sticks to venture out a little bit. I did search this forum for answers but didn't find specific answers. Thanks for any help.

I have found that if you start the P4 on the ground pointing away from you, the arrow on the display that represents the bird is quite accurate in depicting what direction it is flying. (relative to your position)

In the lower left corner of the display is a delta shape, that shows which way the bird is facing. the center of that circle is you.Point it the way you want it to fly referenced to you.

Good as long as you have a video down link. Try practicing with small side movements of the stick to see which way the bird moves. Good practice for when the bird is too far to visually tell the orientation. To start. You can always set home lock or course lock (some quads call this headless mode) so that stick movements make it fly in the same direction regardless of orientation. Some discussions on this here: Litchi Home lock

Fly by app or by line of sight? So far I have only flown the P4 in bright outside conditions, and it was very hard to see the iPad display due to reflections, so I kept the P4 close enough to me so I could see the red lights, thus I would know which direction to move the sticks in relation to the red lights. Fun for a few flights, but I'd like to know what to look for on the display to determine for sure which direction I am flying and which direction to move the sticks to venture out a little bit. I did search this forum for answers but didn't find specific answers. Thanks for any help.
The P4 can be especially difficult to determine the direction because the LED's can be very hard to spot. It becomes even harder the further away the drone gets. If you are using the drone around trees or other objects and unable to look at the screen, my advise is never stab at the controls. Just every so gently nudge them and carefully watch the drone. You can usually determine what direction it's facing when it moves forward. As for the iPad, make sure you turn off the brightness control each time you go outside. Make sure it's set to all the way bright. Don't assume the iPad is at it's brightest setting just because you have it outdoors. My experience is that it's not.

Reactions: Bckmstr
Also, with a little practice you'll start to become more mentally aware of which direction the bird is facing. Take it out to a field and practice doing figure eights. You'll find that it'll become second nature after a while and you'll just know how to move the sticks. That worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31