P4 ND filter advise needed

I think this will be a deciding factor for everyone that buys your filters for the P4. I have a set of the P3 filters, and even though they screw onto the P4 camera and work great when shooting, it's not so great when I store the drone back in the case. The gimbal lock won't install properly, so I have to remove the Polar Pro filter, find the stock lens and screw it back on. Then when I fly again I 've got to do that all over again. This is a huge hassle that everyone is going to be annoyed with. I highly recommend you include a compatible gimbal lock with all P4 filter purchases.

Using thicker glass doesn't seem to warrant the lip on your filter rings. I'm not an engineer, but it seems possible to design a filter with thicker glasses using the same physical ergonomics as TACO and DJI so it's compatible with the OEM gimbal lock. Am I wrong? Regarding the thicker glass, can you provide weight specs for the cinema series filters, as compared to the stock lens filter from DJI? Thicker glass implies more weight. I assume no balancing weights are needed with these new filters, correct?

Hi John,
If you shoot me an email I would be more than happy to send you a free P4 Gimbal Lock so you don't have to unthread them each time.
[email protected]

The DJI Filters weigh about 2 grams, ours weigh 4 grams. So when you un-install the stock UV and install our filter you have a net 2 gram gain.
The gimbal has no problem handling 2 extra grams and we wanted the extra durability and improved optics, so we made the filter the way we wanted. No balancing is needed.

Let me know if you have any other questions,
Jeff

Just received the gimbal lock from Jeff at Polar Pro. It fits great and is much easier to put on and take off. Another winning product from Polar Pro.
Jeff, thanks for sending it.

Michael

8b9f13221baa6867fbb36bf9d1274fc1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: PolarPro
Excellent. Jeff is great to deal with and he is sending me the same unit. I can't wait to get it and eliminate having to change filters before and after each flight.

Hi John,
If you shoot me an email I would be more than happy to send you a free P4 Gimbal Lock so you don't have to unthread them each time.
[email protected]

The DJI Filters weigh about 2 grams, ours weigh 4 grams. So when you un-install the stock UV and install our filter you have a net 2 gram gain.
The gimbal has no problem handling 2 extra grams and we wanted the extra durability and improved optics, so we made the filter the way we wanted. No balancing is needed.

Let me know if you have any other questions,
Jeff

Don't want to hijack a thread but I want to order a set today. PolorPro (Jeff), I'm just a hobbiest looking to shoot for fun and not a photogragher, just wondering what set to get, would you recommend the polorized cinema series set (do I need polorized)? I was also looking at the 6pc set but noticed the cinema series are specifically made for the P4 and are a better fit? Also, does the free gimbal lock offer still stand for us members?

Thanks for your time

Don't want to hijack a thread but I want to order a set today. PolorPro (Jeff), I'm just a hobbiest looking to shoot for fun and not a photogragher, just wondering what set to get, would you recommend the polorized cinema series set (do I need polorized)? I was also looking at the 6pc set but noticed the cinema series are specifically made for the P4 and are a better fit? Also, does the free gimbal lock offer still stand for us members?

Thanks for your time
If you're only looking to shoot photos for fun and nothing more I would just go with this DJI Phantom 4 Filter 3-Pack

Thanks for your time
I would recommend starting with this Pack: DJI Phantom 4 Filter 3-Pack like Matt said above.

It will give you a polarizer which is great for landscape photography. The ND4 and ND8 are good starting point for reducing the shutter speed and seeing how that affects your videos. Then if you want to dial in your slower shutter speed like the production world you can add the P4 Cinema Series-Shutter Collection, and get the stronger ND filters.

Just send me your order number when you order and we will make sure to add the P4 Gimbal Lock for you!
[email protected]

I would recommend starting with this Pack: DJI Phantom 4 Filter 3-Pack like Matt said above.

It will give you a polarizer which is great for landscape photography. The ND4 and ND8 are good starting point for reducing the shutter speed and seeing how that affects your videos. Then if you want to dial in your slower shutter speed like the production world you can add the P4 Cinema Series-Shutter Collection, and get the stronger ND filters.

Just send me your order number when you order and we will make sure to add the P4 Gimbal Lock for you!
[email protected]

So no need to get the polorized cinema series set? I will mainly be shooting video with just your occasional pics. I just want to try and get this best footage with out any or too much post editing. I don't mind spending the extra money so I don't have to upgrade later. I live in the most southern part of Canada (actually south of Detroit, MI and can drive north 4+hours into Michigan) so we do get a long bright summer as well as a bright snowy winter. I appreciate your honesty in not trying to push me your most expensive set to start but really don't mind if it saves me from upgrading in the future.

Appreciate the responds in regards to the gimbal lock as well. As soon as I get a response I'm putting in the order.

Thanks again

So no need to get the polorized cinema series set? I will mainly be shooting video with just your occasional pics. I just want to try and get this best footage with out any or too much post editing. I don't mind spending the extra money so I don't have to upgrade later. I live in the most southern part of Canada (actually south of Detroit, MI and can drive north 4+hours into Michigan) so we do get a long bright summer as well as a bright snowy winter. I appreciate your honesty in not trying to push me your most expensive set to start but really don't mind if it saves me from upgrading in the future.

Appreciate the responds in regards to the gimbal lock as well. As soon as I get a response I'm putting in the order.

Thanks again

The CP will improve color saturation and contrast, and will reduce glare and reflections.
The ND4 filter(2-stop) will give you buttery smooth footage while removing jello effect(rolling shutter) and is best used in a bright environment.
The ND8 filter (3-stop) can be used for extremely bright environments such as those involving water or snow.

I personally bought all three of the 3-packs, but I'm also a film student using his drone for class projects. If your not gonna be shooting serious projects and are really just doing it for fun the 3-pack Jeff and myself both linked will get the job done with no issues.

The CP will improve color saturation and contrast, and will reduce glare and reflections.
The ND4 filter(2-stop) will give you buttery smooth footage while removing jello effect(rolling shutter) and is best used in a bright environment.
The ND8 filter (3-stop) can be used for extremely bright environments such as those involving water or snow.

I personally bought all three of the 3-packs, but I'm also a film student using his drone for class projects. If your not gonna be shooting serious projects and are really just doing it for fun the 3-pack Jeff and myself both linked will get the job done with no issues.
What about the higher numbered filters? Like the 16,32 and 64?

Thanks again

Like you I am a novice at this. I opted for the Cinema Vivid (polarized) collection since you can't stack filters on the P4 and I seems easier to find individual non-polarized filters should I ever find the need for them. After I get really comfortable with these, I'll likely also grab the Cinema Shutter collection.

What about the higher numbered filters? Like the 16,32 and 64?

In case you weren't sure or didn't know, the reason it's called the shutter collection is because they are used to help reduce shutter speeds.

The ND16 is a 4-stop filter that can be used on mostly sunny days when you need to knock your shutter speed down by 4 f-stops to get to 1/60th
The ND32 is a 5-stop filter that can be used around water and snow on bright days.This is a very dark filter so it should only be used where there is enough available light to reduce.
The ND64 is a 6-stop filter that helps reduce the shutter speed of your camera to 1/60th or 1/50th on the most extreme of sunny days.

The goal is to reduce the camera’s shutter speed to 1/60th to give areal videos a smooth cinematic look, rather than a choppy high shutter speed look. A popular way of filming areal video is to have your shutter speed at double the frame rate. So if you are shooting 1080/60, then you want to try to achieve a 1/120th shutter speed. Or if filming 4K/30 or 24 you will want to be near 1/60th shutter speed.

Thanks again
Yah completely up to you, the nice thing is that our 3 different 3-packs contain different filters, so you will never be upgrading, you will just be adding to your collection. It all comes down to personal preference, some pilots don't use polarizers and only use straight ND's, and some use both. I am a big fan of polarizers as they reduce glare off water, snow, and the ground when filming from an elevated perspective.

I personally use all 12 filters we make, I have been filming with them for the last couple years and know how each filter is going to affect each scene. So I would recommend getting one or two of the sets, get some practice with them and add to the collection as you see fit.

Hint: My go to filters are the ND8/PL and the ND16/PL (so the CS Vivid Collection would be a good choice too)

Happy to answer any more questions you have,

Jeff

In case you weren't sure or didn't know, the reason it's called the shutter collection is because they are used to help reduce shutter speeds.

The ND16 is a 4-stop filter that can be used on mostly sunny days when you need to knock your shutter speed down by 4 f-stops to get to 1/60th
The ND32 is a 5-stop filter that can be used around water and snow on bright days.This is a very dark filter so it should only be used where there is enough available light to reduce.
The ND64 is a 6-stop filter that helps reduce the shutter speed of your camera to 1/60th or 1/50th on the most extreme of sunny days.

The goal is to reduce the camera’s shutter speed to 1/60th to give areal videos a smooth cinematic look, rather than a choppy high shutter speed look. A popular way of filming areal video is to have your shutter speed at double the frame rate. So if you are shooting 1080/60, then you want to try to achieve a 1/120th shutter speed. Or if filming 4K/30 or 24 you will want to be near 1/60th shutter speed.
Thank you. I did not know all of the details behind it. I knew a bit, but, not as much as I'd like.

There will be plenty of experimenting in the near future. :)

I will receive my Phantom 4 tomorrow and hope to get some nice footage.

I ordered this kit here from Polar Pro. DJI Phantom 4 / Phantom 3 Professional Filter 6-Pack

This one has a mix of the the ND and the ND/Polarized Hybrids.

HeyJeff, just reading your posts here and knowing what a quality product the lens are I will be placing an order shortly. To me, customer service is a deciding factor.

HeyJeff, just reading your posts here and knowing what a quality product the lens are I will be placing an order shortly. To me, customer service is a deciding factor.

I agree! I was debating which kind to get and this was definitelyone of biggest deciding factors

The Phantom 4 filters are now out.
We have the regular 3-Pack available now which includes: CP, ND4, ND8:
DJI Phantom 4 Filter 3-Pack

In a week we will have 2 new limited edition 3-Packs Launching.

Two weeks out the single filters arrive.

These filters are longer than the P3 filters which give it a perfect factory fit on the P4.

-Jeff
Can you use the factory gimbal lock if these are left on the camera?

Can you use the factory gimbal lock if these are left on the camera?
No, the stock gimbal lock will not work. Jeff left his email in the thread. Shoot him an email and Im sure he will get one out to you.

Thank you. I did not know all of the details behind it. I knew a bit, but, not as much as I'd like.

There will be plenty of experimenting in the near future. :)

I will receive my Phantom 4 tomorrow and hope to get some nice footage.

I ordered this kit here from Polar Pro. DJI Phantom 4 / Phantom 3 Professional Filter 6-Pack

This one has a mix of the the ND and the ND/Polarized Hybrids.

I was gonna go with that one as well but decided to go with the P4 specific one to get a bit of a wider range. The 6-pack is an excellent choice though!

Just went with the cinema Vivids. Thanks everbody
Not a bad choice at all. Good luck, if you need anything don't hesitate to ask.

How do I know what filter to use? I just purchased a drone and filters.

Which filter set did you purchase?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers