P4 mounted on Motorcycle: Updated additional video

Reaction score
Mounted P4 on back of my bike as experiment to catch bikes in lean on sharp corners at "Tail of the Dragon" at Deals Gap. I had a slightly bent front brake rotor that made the camera shutter as I hit the apex of the curve messing up the video right where I wanted the shot. Will try again couple of weeks after fixing brakes and try different ways of mounting. I left the tail of my bike in one clip to show how much vibration the drone deals with, and nice job the yaw tracking does. I also could use a smoother bike and a faster driver.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
smart!

That was pretty cool. I've fooled around with carrying my P3S while walking on a trail (too many close trees for actual flight) to get a stabilized video of the trail. How was the drone mounted to the bike?

Honda VFR800, I mounted on 3 layers of padding strapped on back seat. Still need more of something, a flat air bag? which will get camera higher too get more downward view. Flat air bag might work on front also. I stood on some curves and hand held drone to follow bikes around, worked great. Uploading a better version.

Last edited:
Though the 1080 120fps gave a smooth slo motion on some of the bike clips, the quality suffers. Rest of clips shot in 3840x2160 30fps, dlog or d-cinelike down converted to 1080 in PrmProCC

Just my personal opinion here - constructive feedback on the production value... The minimum length of your clips needs to be at least four seconds... fast cuts between short scenes, especially where there is movement, is a bit nauseating and your efforts are lost on the audience because we're just trying to keep up with what's going on. I love the approach of using the drone like a steady-cam.... that gives the shots from the back of the bike a very professional look. I never saw the shot where the back of the bike was in view... but I believe you. The subject, scenery and lighting of the video are all great... looking forward to seeing future projects!

I would like to get a drone mount for my bicycle. I saw this DIY mount on Youtube that looked easy to build:

I just need to figure out how to mount one from the front.

Just my personal opinion here - constructive feedback on the production value... The minimum length of your clips needs to be at least four seconds... fast cuts between short scenes, especially where there is movement, is a bit nauseating and your efforts are lost on the audience because we're just trying to keep up with what's going on. I love the approach of using the drone like a steady-cam.... that gives the shots from the back of the bike a very professional look. I never saw the shot where the back of the bike was in view... but I believe you. The subject, scenery and lighting of the video are all great... looking forward to seeing future projects!

Your absolutely right, I tend to make them too long, I hate to cut great views. Here I was rushing the edit to combine 2 videos without making it too long for some folks in the video. I cropped the tail of my bike out once my son good a look. I'll be working on this one for a little while so more edits to go, and still have video to go thru from trip.
But I appreciate the honest opinion, I'm in a sharp learning process, almost need a degree to figure out the Premiere Pro CC, then got to fly without crashing(done many), then get on a motorbike on one of the most dangerous roads in America and try not to get run over.

I would like to get a drone mount for my bicycle. I saw this DIY mount on Youtube that looked easy to build:

I just need to figure out how to mount one from the front.

What kind of drone? Road vibration will transfer right into the drone without something between the plywood and drone. P4 on a good smooth road might handle it. You'll only know till you try. That's where I'm trying to come up with something to isolate the vibration more

What kind of drone? Road vibration will transfer right into the drone without something between the plywood and drone. P4 on a good smooth road might handle it. You'll only know till you try. That's where I'm trying to come up with something to isolate the vibration more
P3S.

I had wondered about the need to damper the mount. Probably need some sort of bushing. And of course the other problem is that it's facing the wrong direction. I'm thinking of some sort of mount that attaches to the handlebars.

One idea I'm still considering is a framework as large as the four corners of the drone strapped to bike, each corner suspended from above and below with small bungees, framework being tall enough for approx 6" above and below each motor arm. Should work better than what I had, just need to get some special shots. Try a flat bracket with predrilled holes from Lowes, bolt one end under the steering column head bolt, cut plywood in half(don't need that wide)and bolt onto bracket, see what happens

Mounted P4 on back of my bike as experiment to catch bikes in lean on sharp corners at "Tail of the Dragon" at Deals Gap. I had a slightly bent front brake rotor that made the camera shutter as I hit the apex of the curve messing up the video right where I wanted the shot. Will try again couple of weeks after fixing brakes and try different ways of mounting. I left the tail of my bike in one clip to show how much vibration the drone deals with, and nice job the yaw tracking does. I also could use a smoother bike and a faster driver.

Uploaded

Its a great idea. An Osmo might be more appropriate but hey, you use what you got and that worked out great. Thats the kind of video I like to watch. Makes me wanna jump on the bike and hit the twisties. Very well done!

Probably one of the best videos I have seen of the "Dragon"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers