P4 MIA in Miami

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just been flying my P4 off South Beach, by Ocean Drive. It was maybe 100-150m away, when it disconnected and disappeared. It popped back in and out of connection for maybe a minute or two then disappeared completely, never to be seen again! Any thoughts on how I can check the logs to see what happened...?

You can try uploading your log files to HealthyDrones so we can possibly help you. Your flight log may help you find it by it based on the flight path at the last known position.

Thanks, I'll have a look at that. Unfortunately, I'm just heading to the airport now as I need to fly back to the UK. Some guy on Ocean told me that he saw a child walking around with it, so it sounds like it landed safely. Had a look around and couldn't see anyone with it, so it sounds like a lost cause. It would be nice to understand what happened though.

You didn't have any contact info on it either in case it was found?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you have it properly registered for use by a non-US citizen?

Was your battery getting low? Did you have the Go app setup to RTH upon signal loss, or hover? If it was hover, it may have hovered until battery got low, then landed. I'm surprise you couldn't see it, 150m isn't very far, I can sometimes hear it that close. It's really strange you lost signal so close, but you likely have one of those CE constrained systems I suppose, really low radio power, right?

Contact info is written on the drone, it is registered with the FAA and the battery was over 90% when it disappeared. I had line of sight for most of the time, but had to go behind some trees to walk towards it when it disconnected. RTH kicked in and then I lost visual. It didn't come home. iPad shows that it started returning, then dropped off the radar. It was, incidentally, bought in the US so there should be no issue with radio power.

My query was that if registered it could be traced back to you if found.
Then a return is more likely.

As far as Tx power (FCC v. CE), that is geographically controlled so purchase location is not an issue.

well its south beach, as someone who's lived there you might have a good chance of getting a phone call. then again, ocean dr. you might not lol

you likely have one of those CE constrained systems I suppose, really low radio power, right?
It was, incidentally, bought in the US so there should be no issue with radio power.
There's no difference in the hardware.
The difference is in where you fly it - the Phantom determines legal radio output based on GPS location.
It would be nice to understand what happened though.
Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.

Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4