P4 loss one prop after 5 minute flight, dropped 40 feet to ground

Yeah I'm confused by many of these responses. They must be to a different thread or a video I can't see.

Those bolts have never been touched by me, this thing was basically brand new (6 days old with only 10-15 flights) So you guys are chasing down a rabbit hole that just isn't there. I see a tiny amount of what looks like wear on the hex, but that was done at the factory.

To follow up for future reference or other google searches. I sent mine in to DJI for RMA process. It was pretty simple, smooth and timely. They did not charge me for anything.(There is a bill for 199, but they didn't charge me) Shipping to them, the fix, or the shipping back was all free. I just received the unit back (original as my stickers are still on) and it flies great. Upon further inspection, the one motor still has a very different feel than the rest with regards to how the prop goes on/comes off. It is significantly harder to get the prop on and off, and further more, when you move it to locked position, it almost doesn't push up at all....Still don't know if this was because of the crash or the cause of the crash. I will always spend a good 2 minutes, putting them on...and pulling HARD up to make sure they are locked.

Either way, I'm a very happy customer and I hope the rest of you can avoid this issue I had.

Check your props and then check again!

Yeah I'm confused by many of these responses. They must be to a different thread or a video I can't see.

Those bolts have never been touched by me, this thing was basically brand new (6 days old with only 10-15 flights) So you guys are chasing down a rabbit hole that just isn't there. I see a tiny amount of what looks like wear on the hex, but that was done at the factory.

To follow up for future reference or other google searches. I sent mine in to DJI for RMA process. It was pretty simple, smooth and timely. They did not charge me for anything.(There is a bill for 199, but they didn't charge me) Shipping to them, the fix, or the shipping back was all free. I just received the unit back (original as my stickers are still on) and it flies great. Upon further inspection, the one motor still has a very different feel than the rest with regards to how the prop goes on/comes off. It is significantly harder to get the prop on and off, and further more, when you move it to locked position, it almost doesn't push up at all....Still don't know if this was because of the crash or the cause of the crash. I will always spend a good 2 minutes, putting them on...and pulling HARD up to make sure they are locked.

Either way, I'm a very happy customer and I hope the rest of you can avoid this issue I had.

Check your props and then check again!
Good to know DJI continues it's excellent customer relations. Grats on getting your baby back :)

The three torx screw heads, when enlarged, look like they have been abused, but my own look the same, and I've never touched them, so it looks like they come that way from the factory.:eek:

These are Allen 1.5 hex screws. Can't believe factory can send news birds with messed screws, even refurbish. Right tool and little torque are just needed and do not mess like we can see in the picture.

Note if someone attempt to rotate the screws and there is Loctite in there, as well no heat applied, it might be hard to turn and damage happen.

To know more we need a close up where we can see how metal was damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

These are Allen 1.5 hex screws. Can't believe factory can send news birds with messed screws, even refurbish. Right tool and little torque are just needed and do not mess like we can see in the picture.

Note if someone attempt to rotate the screws and there is Loctite in there, as well no heat applied, it might be hard to turn and damage happen.

I was convinced OP messed with the screws also unit I looked at mine. My screw look tampered with too. Looks like this was a manufacture defect and not a user defect especially since DJI warrantied the bird. There're lots of hardware issues out there with DJI. I have a bad motor on my 4 right now. I wish Autel would come out with a 4 equivalent. Hell for 675 I may just look at the current Autel.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Interesting. Hope someone can provide picture same as this example please.
4da6e5128ecaaddd7f580e8599755ff4.jpg

Early on one of my props shot off into the air just before take off, don't know what i did wrong but am always extra careful now. Think i was complacent.

Picture welcome like this "close up example" so we can see metal status

Mine look exactly the same, and I have never touched them, either. They are coming that way from the factory! Have a close-up look at your own aircraft screws in that area.

Yesterday I lost one prop right at start despite carefully checking each by applying a little movement fwd/bckr on each prop after install. P4 just flipped up/down right away and the prop flawn 5 meters away like a missile! Really worrying as everything looks ok, screws not damaged etc. I'll further inspect to see if something gone loose such as the little flexible metal parts.

I bought my P4 just last week. I've maybe had 20 flights, I'm taking it all very slow. I fly high, and far over big forests. I'm very nervous about hitting things, since I'm still beginning, so I don't go near anything.

On my flight yesterday, coming back after flying for maybe 5 minutes (battery was full on take off), the p4 is still 30-50 feet up and very stable slowly on the way down. I'm coming down to land, and all of a sudden, one of the props flys off, and the P4 drops like a rock. The legs are pretty banged up, the gimbal looks to have taken some damage. Still haven't tried to turn it back on. I never found the prop, but I may go back tomorrow to look more. It's a very rocky spot out near an old mine. Not an easy place to look for a small white blade.

Has anyone heard of the props coming off?
Has anyone had any success with RMA process?
Has anyone had a wreck bad enough to require work. Was it your fault? Did you get it fixed?
What are my chances they are going to know that I didn't slam into something and break this? The video on the card won't play, but the video on my tablet, does show the end, but not the impact on the ground.

I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out if I put it half way on, and it just seems impossible. Either it's on or off...there really isn't an in between. I know these have been re-designed with p4 vs p3. There is no screwing action...just a half turn, like a pill bottle.

I've called DJI, and I guess they will be sending me an RMA number. 8 hours ago, and still have not received anything. It was in the wide open, and the prop flew off first, and then it dropped. 30 seconds earlier, it would have been impossible for me to see that level of detail, and likely never would have found the p4, since it is such think woods.

I'm really disappointed, and concerned these devices are not safe enough to be flown with any confidence.
I can help you fix it!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj