P4 Lens Flare -Yikes!

Reaction score
Never had this with the P3P.

Not so sure about this machine . . . Other than it's quieter, prettier in person than in photos, flies and lands so smoothly, but the camera is "noisy" in low light and just not as tack sharp as P3P- the jury in my courtroom is still out. Glad I bought it thru Apple.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1458482641.676419.jpg

Any thoughts?

Not so sure about this machine . . . Other than it's quieter, prettier in person than in photos, flies and lands so smoothly, but the camera is "noisy" in low light and just not as tack sharp as P3P- the jury in my courtroom is still out. Glad I bought it thru Apple. View attachment 47838

Any thoughts?
That are the qualities of the improved lens:(

I don't know if a lens hood would help here -- since the OP's Phantom is pointing directly at the sun. This issue should be easily resolved by repositioning the Phantom.

Reactions: xlebullx

Not so sure about this machine . . . Other than it's quieter, prettier in person than in photos, flies and lands so smoothly, but the camera is "noisy" in low light and just not as tack sharp as P3P- the jury in my courtroom is still out. Glad I bought it thru Apple. View attachment 47838

Any thoughts?

wow that is some bad lens flarings, obviously worse then the p2, p3, in the worse conditions i ever seen...

I don't know if a lens hood would help here -- since the OP's Phantom is pointing directly at the sun. This issue should be easily resolved by repositioning the Phantom.

I get the same on my P3, a hood helps with sun at this angle.

Lens flare, also called veiling glare, is caused by light reflecting inside the lens, either from lens surfaces or from internal components in the lens. At every lens surface where the lens meets air a certain amount of light will be reflected. Modern lens coatings have reduced the amount of this reflection, but none can eliminate it.
If shooting at an angle to the bright light, a lens hood, for the most part, will remove the glare. But even at an angle, if the glass can see the bright spot, from any angle, it can result in a veiling glare.

On the positive side, you could film a Star Trek movie and it wouldn't look out of place.

On the positive side, you could film a Star Trek movie and it wouldn't look out of place.
Or any JJ Abrams film. Although I think he grew out of that phase. Sort of. But there is a lesson here. Learn to use the liabilities of your camera as an artistic strength. If you point the P3 into the sun, use the reflections artistically and think about how you can pan across a scene and put the flare will it will hide what you want don't want to emphasize. That's actually pretty hard on a camera floating in three dimensions but you can play big league artistic director and perhaps get better shots than just randomly pushing the lens around.

Other things to remember when using wide angle cinema lenses: Clean them. And clean them again. Keep a Zeiss lens wipe and lint free cloth with you. And use it. Clean EVERY surface. Again. Don't use a filter unless you have to (another air / glass interface). In fact, if you really have to shoot into the sun, take off the blank filter and run naked.

And don't shoot into the sun with a wide angle lens unless you can't avoid it.

If you 'never had it' with a P3, it must have been awfully cloudy when you were shooting. This is function of pretty much ANY wide angle lens and direct sunlight. Some DSLR lenses are actually pretty resistant to flare but they cost much more than a P4 or P4. Just by themselves.

make sure the noise software filter is off and use a good ND filter.. oh and dont point it towards the sun ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl