P4 is on its way!!!

Reaction score
So I just ordered a P4 and it's on it's way. I ordered a carrying case, extra battery and a 32 gig card. Anything else I need? Also I'm curious as to why with the P4 you plug a cable from he remote to the display, an iPad in my case.

Thanks

Reactions: grizgrin
At least 2 more batteries, at least I could use 2 more and I already have 3...lol:p

I have P4 Batteries at a discounted price, and offer even more of a discount to the members of this forum with coupon code PHANTOM

Reactions: Diaz2010
Anything else I need?
You should download the Phantom manual and register with the FAA (if you're in the US). You can find links to those items in the "Must-Haves" section at PhantomHelp.com. You'll also find a lot of helpful tips there.

I'm curious as to why with the P4 you plug a cable from he remote to the display
That cable allows the display to talk to DJI GO. Some previous models used Wi-Fi instead. After using both myself, I think the cable is much more convenient. It also frees up the Wi-Fi to do things like download the maps if you're not going to be using a cellular iPad model.

Something else to think about, if your P4 is for personal use check on insurance once you receive it. I got a policy through State Farm that is about $40/yr (I payed $60 because of minimum premium). The policy has no deductible and covers anything that can happen to the drone including being lost, stolen, fly away and crashing.

Something else to think about, if your P4 is for personal use check on insurance once you receive it. I got a policy through State Farm that is about $40/yr (I payed $60 because of minimum premium). The policy has no deductible and covers anything that can happen to the drone including being lost, stolen, fly away and crashing.
I am thinking that I will do this as well, did you have to bring the drone in and show registration?

I am thinking that I will do this as well, did you have to bring the drone in and show registration?
No I didn't, but I did have to check with several agents before finding one that would check with the underwriter to see if they could insure it.

Reactions: Mike_Flys

Did not know this, and very interested. When I look on their website though, I don't see anything about insuring things like a drone. I'll probably give them a call later this evening after work, but if you have a direct link to it, that would be awesome. Would love to take a look.

The insurance doesn't cover mechanical malfunctions, but still a good deal. All you need is Model/ Serial Number and receipt of purchase. Be sure to list all of your additional accessories, case, etc. They will all be covered with State Farms minimum premium of $60/year. I've read some people include other drones they have for the same $60.

The insurance doesn't cover mechanical malfunctions, but still a good deal.
Does that mean (for example) they would not replace a Phantom that is lost in the sea due to a battery/motor/etc. malfunction?

Do you have any documentation on this?

I don't mean to hijack the thread or anything, but the insurance thing.. I love the idea, and will certainly give them a call this evening, but I'm hoping for some documentation of some sort, my searches are coming up empty. It just sounds weird and I can't imagine it being a good deal for any insurance agency. Something happens to drones sooner or later, and they are expensive.

Reactions: msinger
How would you know that it was a battery/motor/etc. malfunction if you couldn't retrieve it? When I took out the insurance my agent said it would not be covered if there was a mechanical malfunction.
I just received the actual policy last week. I'll look through it and see what the verbiage reads.

How would you know that it was a battery/motor/etc. malfunction if you couldn't retrieve it?
Precisely. I'm just wondering how they plan to cover such events. It seems people are buying up this insurance like hotcakes without knowing exactly what is covered. If it only covers things like theft or loss in a home fire, then it doesn't seem like a replacement for something like DJI Care or Neary Aerial Media's crash insurance.

My understanding is that the insurance covers 100% for anything other than a mechanical malfunction. It does not cover any Liability for damage to property or persons.
Attached is a page from the policy. See attached photo Losses Insured And Losses Not Insured, item 6. You could call any State Farm Agent for more details.
I look at the cost/benefit, for $60/year it's worth it to me.

Attachments

• Drone Insurance.JPG
    Drone Insurance.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 347
My understanding is that the insurance covers 100% for anything other than a mechanical malfunction
That sounds like tricky territory. I'm wondering how they are going to prove whether a crash was caused by a mechanical malfunction. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens after people start submitting claims.

are you in California? Did you have to shop different agents? Cause i asked one agent and they were like we dont insure those

So I just ordered a P4 and it's on it's way. I ordered a carrying case, extra battery and a 32 gig card. Anything else I need? Also I'm curious as to why with the P4 you plug a cable from he remote to the display, an iPad in my case.

Thanks

Congratulations! I am learning to fly mine now, just came in a few days ago. I got a neck strap, if you want a larger screen look at iPads; they have the best resolution to weight ratio, extra batteries for sure, I am thinking about coating my shipping foam case and using it, along with another Pelican for accessories that my P4 is JUST a tad too big to fit in, ordered spare props and connection kits because oops, car charger and 3 hub if you plan on using it away form the house much, and a shade screen for your screen.

are you in California? Did you have to shop different agents? Cause i asked one agent and they were like we dont insure those
From what I understand from others on the forum they do not cover drones in California. I live in Mississippi though so I do not know.

From what I understand it covers anything but mechanical, however, if mine has a mechanical breakdown, it will be crashed in an unknown location more than likely.

Yes I know to register with the FAA but assume I need to wait before I get the drone for a serial number? Good call on the manual..will download that and read it at work tonight. I have flown my brothers P3 Advanced a few times so I know a little of what to expect. Does anyone have the charging cradle from DJi for 99?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4