P4 geofencing and B4UFLY app

Reaction score
I didn't receive my p4 yet, and was hoping someone could explain some things to me. I downloaded the FAA app (B4UFLY). When using that app., and my current location is determined, the "warning action required" symbol appears next to "5 mi from Airports? When you look at the next page, it gives you the name of the airport, and the distance from it, in this example 4.3 mi. The statement above that states "Federal law requires model aircraft operators to notify the airport operator and Air Traffic Control Tower (if one is present) when operating within 5 miles of an airport." My question is, will the p4 operate if you do get permission to fly, or is it preloaded with all airport locations thus preventing you from operating even with permission? Sorry for the long winded question.

download uav forecast app much better than b4ufly

I didn't receive my p4 yet, and was hoping someone could explain some things to me. I downloaded the FAA app (B4UFLY). When using that app., and my current location is determined, the "warning action required" symbol appears next to "5 mi from Airports? When you look at the next page, it gives you the name of the airport, and the distance from it, in this example 4.3 mi. The statement above that states "Federal law requires model aircraft operators to notify the airport operator and Air Traffic Control Tower (if one is present) when operating within 5 miles of an airport." My question is, will the p4 operate if you do get permission to fly, or is it preloaded with all airport locations thus preventing you from operating even with permission? Sorry for the long winded question.
I used the B4UFly app and it said that I had 2 airports in my area and I live right in the middle of them. I went to the second page and one was a Helicopter Pad at the Hospital and the other was a private Helicopter pad. I also have a small airport 7 miles away. I stopped in and was told by the management of the airport, as far as they are concerned drones have a limit of 400 feet and planes have a minimum of 500, they said so long as I'm not in the direct area of the flight path they are not concerned. He told me if you hear a helicopter coming make sure you are low enough. FAA has regulations and I'm sure , if you are like me, you have read and understand the regulations. So long as we do our part and be safe, there really isn't anyone to enforce the regulations unless the is an accident. Accidents are probably the only cause for them to get involved. I may be wrong for your area, and I'm sure I will be corrected. But this is my opinion.

I used the B4UFly app and it said that I had 2 airports in my area and I live right in the middle of them. I went to the second page and one was a Helicopter Pad at the Hospital and the other was a private Helicopter pad. I also have a small airport 7 miles away. I stopped in and was told by the management of the airport, as far as they are concerned drones have a limit of 400 feet and planes have a minimum of 500, they said so long as I'm not in the direct area of the flight path they are not concerned. He told me if you hear a helicopter coming make sure you are low enough. FAA has regulations and I'm sure , if you are like me, you have read and understand the regulations. So long as we do our part and be safe, there really isn't anyone to enforce the regulations unless the is an accident. Accidents are probably the only cause for them to get involved. I may be wrong for your area, and I'm sure I will be corrected. But this is my opinion.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the info. I was wondering if you have a P4 which I was told has built in geofencing. Do you know if the built in geofencing will prevent you from operating near those small airports. Thanks again for your input.

Reactions: Mark C.
download uav forecast app much better than b4ufly
I downloaded the app you suggested, thanks. I noticed that the app lists Dji nfz. Is this the platform that Dji uses built into the P4? I'm just confused, thanks for helping.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the info. I was wondering if you have a P4 which I was told has built in geofencing. Do you know if the built in geofencing will prevent you from operating near those small airports. Thanks again for your input.
Sorry I got your name wrong Mark

I have not flown around any major air ports, and would suspect that it might in that instance. Only time that it won't fly is because of not enough satellites connection in P mode.

Reactions: Dom PPCpilot
Thanks again Mark. I found some info on the web which explains how the system works. It's an article written by DJI. I plan on calling them tomorrow just to be totally clear. Happy flying

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl