P4 flyaway

Reaction score
A few questions, but first, the gory details. P4 with latest firmware / DJI-Go / Apple 6. Two routine flights - both ended with the RTH request. From the same location, 3rd flight -drone became unresponsive and flew away. A return to home was sent. The flight log shows the sent request. The playback says the drone hovered in place at a place that should have been visible by eye. I was walking towards that location when the low battery - RTH message flashed up. According to the flight log, the drone flew directly over my head and landed right behind me at Home. None of the 3 of us watching for it saw it after it flew off. The log shows a second battery low RTH message and the drone flew away from home and into a lake.

The log shows 18-20 GPS, good IMU and magnetometer calibration, but frequent loss of signal - is this common? Is it common for the logs to contain GPS data putting the drone in a place where it clearly was not seen by eye? There are several NaN entries for speed - is this common/normal?

TIA

Last edited:
It's hard to clearly understand your post, but to me it sounds like it's possible your P4 recorded a bad Home Point before it took off. It sounds like it's possible your home point was recorded to be at the lake.

Sorry for your loss.

Many thanks for your suggestion. I had previously had two flights that properly RTH at the same home location - all 3 flights left from the place.
If it has a ‘bad Home Point’, why would it attempt to use such a bad point?
I’m not familiar with how a bad home point comes into existence.
Thanks again
Bill

I'm not quite sure, but the best to keep the drone for some time in the ground after it connect to the Gps and say safe to fly, sometimes it gives you safe to fly but the location is not correct , I advise to check the map and make sure the the Home Point is where your standing before taking off, although Im not sure where your drone are,
Sorry If Im not helpful, wish you the best

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

See this video for a possible explanation:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

False confidence is right I was out yesterday for my P4 and decided to take it into sport mode n-fly 4 foot off the ground at max speed, relying totally on the ground sensors to hold my elevation crashed and about 30 sec, never reached max speed, only lost one prop in crash, but won't totally rely on sensors again

I don't understand your account. First you stated that the log shows the aircraft landing behind you at the home point, and then you stated that it shows the aircraft landing in a lake.

Sorry for the confusion. The log and reality do not agree. The log says the drone flew over my head and landed behind me - the reality is that the drone flew away out of sight. The log says that after landing at home, it then rose up and flew to a location in a lake and reported landing there. Again, this did not occur in real life, just log entries make this claim. Thus my questions about GPS location errors, NaN (not a number) entries in the data log, etc.

Sorry for the confusion. The log and reality do not agree. The log says the drone flew over my head and landed behind me - the reality is that the drone flew away out of sight. The log says that after landing at home, it then rose up and flew to a location in a lake and reported landing there. Again, this did not occur in real life, just log entries make this claim. Thus my questions about GPS location errors, NaN (not a number) entries in the data log, etc.

Very strange. I think that you will need to provide the log for any useful analysis to be made.

Before take off do you notice the DJI go ap says 'the home point has been updated CHECK IT ON THE MAP).

Why should I check it on the map ?
Is there is a possibility that it is not 5 feet from me and it is somewhere in China ?

Reactions: FrequentFlyer
Always good to check that it is where it is supposed to be so as not to get a fly away "home" which is somewhere else!!

The log shows 18-20 GPS, good IMU and magnetometer calibration, but frequent loss of signal - is this common? Is it common for the logs to contain GPS data putting the drone in a place where it clearly was not seen by eye? There are several NaN entries for speed - is this common/normal?
It's hard to comment without seeing the data.

Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and some of the experienced people here might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident

Before take off do you notice the DJI go ap says 'the home point has been updated CHECK IT ON THE MAP).

Why should I check it on the map ?
Is there is a possibility that it is not 5 feet from me and it is somewhere in China ?

actually yes in a way.

That is why DJI GO APP says what it says.....
It is telling you to verify that that HOME POINT has been SET to YOUR location.

and NOT in China or anywhere else......

Reactions: snowghost

My WAG
is that the p4 landed at a set HP and sat idling until low battery hit.

when low battery hit , it performed a low battery command and
took off and and flew to some new hp point
and landed or hovered until battery died

as far as the gps info not matching visuals---no idea

BTW
is it possible to reset P4 HP while in flight,
my P2vision + could

Im guessing he resetted the home point while looking for the drone somewhere else and maybe it hit a tree on the way and landed on the lake

A few questions, but first, the gory details. P4 with latest firmware / DJI-Go / Apple 6. Two routine flights - both ended with the RTH request. From the same location, 3rd flight -drone became unresponsive and flew away. A return to home was sent. The flight log shows the sent request. The playback says the drone hovered in place at a place that should have been visible by eye. I was walking towards that location when the low battery - RTH message flashed up. According to the flight log, the drone flew directly over my head and landed right behind me at Home. None of the 3 of us watching for it saw it after it flew off. The log shows a second battery low RTH message and the drone flew away from home and into a lake.

TIA
I understand your post perfectly but it's not a flyaway. Then while it was RTHing, it probably hit something.

I am having the same issue and so ARE MANY PEOPLE since the simultaneous upgrade to the new Go App 2.7 and iOs 1.9.3.

I brought mine back and just got a second and it'd still doing it but only with my ipad mini 2, but it's okay (but not great) with my iPhone. The level of inconsistency even in the problems is friggen mind boggling. I swear to God, just dealing with this over the last several days has sucked the life out of flying drones for fun for me I think.

Also, this one oddly had no decals on it. Like the little stickers that cover the lens, and stuff like that.

Even that little sticker around the open case switch. Come to think of it, I don't remember there being one on the camera either AND the gimbal makes a screetching noise if I tilt it up.

YAY! DJI, you guys are really doing a bang up job. I swear if Apple or any capable company makes a good drone, DJI is going to go bye bye because of how bad this is. Worst roll out I've ever seen and that's saying something.

Reactions: varangian
I understand your post perfectly but it's not a flyaway. Then while it was RTHing, it probably hit something.

I am having the same issue and so ARE MANY PEOPLE since the simultaneous upgrade to the new Go App 2.7 and iOs 1.9.3.

I brought mine back and just got a second and it'd still doing it but only with my ipad mini 2, but it's okay (but not great) with my iPhone. The level of inconsistency even in the problems is friggen mind boggling. I swear to God, just dealing with this over the last several days has sucked the life out of flying drones for fun for me I think.

Also, this one oddly had no decals on it. Like the little stickers that cover the lens, and stuff like that.

Even that little sticker around the open case switch. Come to think of it, I don't remember there being one on the camera either AND the gimbal makes a screetching noise if I tilt it up.

YAY! DJI, you guys are really doing a bang up job. I swear if Apple or any capable company makes a good drone, DJI is going to go bye bye because of how bad this is. Worst roll out I've ever seen and that's saying something.
There info about the gimbals have some loose screws, two ppl here have already fixed their gimbals using this method, give it a try and see if any loose screws

My drone lost signal for the first time ever, completely lost signal, I was 1/2 mile away and through trees, in a noisy (wifi) environment. About 15 seconds later it came back online. I then turned the drone around to come home, when I noticed I had turned it away from me. So, she returned just like it was engineered to, even better because it was now low light, it was dusk when I started, wanted to take advantage of 1mph winds. The fact it re-acquired signal meant the OA wouldn't be needed. I was shaking, thinking the worst, lucky it was only for less then a half a minute. The craft turned around and lowered elevation about 100' and like I said, was well on its way back. I'm starting to trust it a lot more now. Having State Farm covering it helps, but wouldn't want to admit I was flying at night. Also due to it being insured, I've reset my height limit to 400' again, don't want any BS in case of a claim, however I suppose I could just say it's gone but, at 46 not into insurance fraud so I keep it in the up and up.

Last edited:
btw, sorry for the bird man, that really sucks.
Are you certain it didn't land and retake off? I'm just saying, they can be hard to see, easier to hear though, I'm just asking. That seems crazy it would do that, your only the second one I've heard of, that had a major malfunction. Just ask London Phantom PJ though, these aircraft are invulnerable to errors or malfunctioning. (According to his statements and style of flying)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers