P4 crash- not sure why

Reaction score
Hello,
i took my P4 out to film the sunset tonight. I had fully charged batteries and did a compass calibration prior to taking off. it registered the home point i went up to around120' and headed due west. It got out 1200'away and lost signal. on the way back it tried to auto land, and I cancelled and tried to get it to make it back, and it veered off and tried to land in the road but came down onto some wires. The things I noticed on the health drones flight log
1- switched to atti mode- i never switched it and the switch is still in gps mode
2- no fly zone auto landing- not according to B4UFly and Airmap
3- when I tried to cancel auto landing had no control over drone

Flight time Altitude Home Distance Type Notification
A 00m 00s 0.0 ft 0 ft Mode Mode changed to GPS_Atti
B 00m 01s 0.0 ft 0 ft Tip Home Point Recorded. RTH Altitude: 45m.
C 00m 02s 0.0 ft 0 ft Mode Mode changed to Assisted_Takeoff
D 00m 08s 0.0 ft 1 ft Mode Mode changed to GPS_Atti
E 02m 39s 147.0 ft 885 ft Data Loss Downlink data connection lost for 26.6 seconds
F 02m 39s 147.0 ft 885 ft Mode Mode changed to Go_Home
G 02m 47s 146.0 ft 620 ft Mode Mode changed to AutoLanding
H 02m 47s 146.0 ft 620 ft Tip Tips__You are in a no-fly zone. Auto-landing Initiated.
I 02m 47s 146.0 ft 620 ft Warning Obstacle Avoidance will be disabled in landing.
J 02m 56s 91.2 ft 586 ft Warning Warning:Command Timeout
K 02m 56s 90.2 ft 586 ft Mode Mode changed to GPS_Atti
L 03m 09s 190.0 ft 585 ft Mode Mode changed to AutoLanding
M 03m 09s 190.0 ft 585 ft Tip Tips__You are in a no-fly zone. Auto-landing Initiated.
N 03m 09s 190.0 ft 585 ft Warning Obstacle Avoidance will be disabled in landing.
O 03m 14s 172.9 ft 565 ft Tip Tips__Landing Canceled

I'm calling DJI tomorrow and any help would be appreciated, I downloaded the lml file from healthy drones, is there another file to upload to this forum?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

I can only offer a big "sorry for your loss". I hope the good membership can help you solve the incident. ‍♂️

GPS_Atti is GPS mode - it did not switch to Atti. It certainly thought it was in a NFZ, and went into auto land mode. Note that your location is inside the 30 nm outer core of the KPBI POTUS TFR, which might account for the behavior, although he wasn't expected to be at Mar-a-Lago this weekend, so it should not have been active.

GPS_Atti is GPS mode - it did not switch to Atti. It certainly thought it was in a NFZ, and went into auto land mode. Note that your location is inside the 30 nm outer core of the KPBI POTUS TFR, which might account for the behavior, although he wasn't expected to be at Mar-a-Lago this weekend, so it should not have been active.
There's a P,S, and A (atti) the switch was on P mode, but the log says it switched to ATTI. and yes you're correct about the restriction when POTUS, is in town and that's the reason I chose this weekend, since there was no TFR

There's a P,S, and A (atti) the switch was on P mode, but the log says it switched to ATTI. and yes you're correct about the restriction when POTUS, is in town and that's the reason I chose this weekend, since there was no TFR

Where does the log say that it switched to Atti? I only see GPS_Atti in the log, which, as I said, is DJI log-speak for GPS mode (P), not Atti (A) mode.

KPBI POTUS TFR?? Brief explanation for us foreigners :eek:
KPBI: Palm Beach International Airport; POTUS: President Of The United States. TFR: Temporary Flight Restrictions.
Maybe the problem happened because the drone realized to late it was in an enhanced warning zone and there was also a data connection loss. The OP should confirm that he is allowed to fly there.
Kevin, I hope the drone is not wrecked?

Reactions: sar104
Flying into a NFZ shouldn't result in a forced landing any more than reaching maximum set distance. That can be dangerous. Instead, the AC should change heading to go around it. At the very least warn you that you are approaching a NFZ before you actually reach it and it takes action to land.
But unfortunately that is how GEO equipped DJI quads act. You can turn off GEO in the app but it may then take old style approach of graduated ceiling as you come towards an airport.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20