P4 Crash - I Swear I'm Innocent!

Reaction score
Just for the record as I think it is important that pilots know...

Flying
in a relatively remote area (Google Maps), very short flight at five or less minutes.
Abandoned-Farm-Hell-Tree-1920x1200.jpg

iPad Pro 9.7
Stock Phantom 4
Mode P
Takeoff Battery at 60%.
Received 1st low battery warning while bird was ~90 meters from takeoff location (default 30% low bat setting).
Pressed RTH button immediately.
Telemetry showed RTH engaged and bird returning directly home.
Once over takeoff location, bird came down vertically, never slowing and BAM!
Broken Camera protective lens. Broken inner strut housing. Saw smoke, don't know where from. Shut down routine unresponsive so quickly yanked the battery. While damage seem minor, it will no longer connect.

WTF?! I've read enough Phantom 4 crash posts to know that many are pilot error. I've also seen many where the bird has been replaced by DJI suggesting hardware/software issues/bugs. My telemetry, when last glanced showed the drone to be around 300 feet up while its RTH safe altitude was set at 125'. I've noticed previously the app was reporting an altitude that seem higher my senses. Who you gonna' trust? My sensors or the bird's?

Thoughts :: Drone didn’t know where the ground was, irrespective of GPS and sensors. Thought I had seen this previously at this same location. One time the drone was showing it was at 150’ when it was in fact soft landing exactly where it took off from.

Purchased via Amazon (Beach Camera).

Contacted DJI and they issued a RMA. The support fellow warned me they would invoice me for repairs and that I would then have to contest the invoice in order to get the techs to investigate the Phantom 4's black box. Interesting, makes sense from a business point of view.

Attachments

• Abandoned Goat Farm - Hell Tree - 1024.jpg
    Abandoned Goat Farm - Hell Tree - 1024.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 516
I'm sure people will say you should not of flown without battery at 100 percent to start

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Long story. Had two tablets, Galaxy tab S2 and iPad Pro. Had to get into developer tools with the Tab S2 and while it would connect, it would freeze up so I switched to the iPad. Both brand new. I was soo po'd after the crash I returned both tablets for refunds, before I synced my logs. Did not shoot video. Swore I would give up on this drone thing alltogether [emoji35]

Sent from my SM-N910V using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you buy directly from Amazon they would have just sent you a new unit with no questions asked. They did that for me.

Seriously?! I can't imagine Amazon and Beach Camera want a crashed Phantom 4 back. I'll have to look into that. Might save the hassle of sending it in to DJI.

Beach Camera will not do it but since it was a defective drone Amazon will replace it if you bought directly from them and not a 3rd party reseller.

Seriously?! I can't imagine Amazon and Beach Camera want a crashed Phantom 4 back. I'll have to look into that. Might save the hassle of sending it in to DJI.

Wow, that is something DJI should tell you. Save the the hassle and expense.

60% lipo cells unbalanced and drained a cell faster then the rest and drone shut down.....

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Amazon accepted my return. Shipped UPS. Only cost $81.57.

Takeoff Battery at 60%.
Received 1st low battery warning while bird was ~90 meters from takeoff location (default 30% low bat setting).
That could well be the problem.
How long since the battery was charged?
Had you just been flying and went to take off again or had the battery been sitting for days?

If you are dealing with DJI it would pay to look at the actual flight data to get some insight into what really happened.
Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.

You can post a link to the report it gives if you need help analysing it.

Hi flew the day before for a short period of time. The bird didn't power down it powered into the ground and the props were still turning while my P4 was thrashing around in its anguish.

Sent from my SM-N910V using PhantomPilots mobile app

For what it's worth, IF I use a return to home, I take back control once it begins to decend and bring it down myself.

Could aftermarket gimble guard or prop guards be a contributing factor? I have read that they may cause similar problems. Please don't take this wrong, I'm not saying you used them.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You noticed something was wrong but allowed the drone to autonomously continue. IMO, that's a mistake. I've learned that with these drones, you can't leave anything to chance. If you notice that something is wrong, land and figure out the problem before you fly/ trust it again. Everything must be 100%.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20