P4 Collision Avoidance vrs a Bird in flight

Regular manned aircraft have big issues with birds. That would imply then that birds don't always have the ability to avoid planes either, let alone a small drone. They are definitely doing studies about this issue and have found that lights (more than sound) alert birds and have proven to help prevent bird collisions. Many manned aircraft are now being equipped with flashing and other types of lights. Because of this, I just purchased a set of snap on lights for the P3A/P that either flash or remain on for a great alert system. See these links: FARNBOROUGH: Lighting on aircraft can prevent bird strikes
Polar Pro LED Lights for P3 - Thoughts ....
Also, if you lose your drone, the lights may help you find it too, at least as long as the battery doesn't wear down. FYI, PolarPro lights battery is separate from the drone. Enjoy your flights.

[EDIT] Not sure if these will fit the P4. I thought I was on the P3 discussion. Got excited when I saw the birds video.

I think that means the P4 has about one second to sense and avoid an object. I also read somewhere that the sensor needs an object to register at least 500 pixels for it to be detected.
I believe those are ultra sonic sensors, not video.

I believe those are ultra sonic sensors, not video.

Don't agree.
If you compare the OA sensors with the VPS sensors you'll see that the forward facing are the same as the VPS opticals.

Notice they are behind 'glass' making ultrasonics not possible.

maybe they used both
https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/C8...orus_asset/file/6123215/p4_belly_detail.0.png
looks like those silver ones in the middle are US, but the outer ones are video.
idk. i haven't looked at one up close, i was going off my p3's US vps sensors
The collision avoidance sensors are using stereo vision, that is how it can tell how far an object is. The VPS has been improved and that is why there are now 4 VPS sensors on the bottom of the Phantom but the collision avoidance definitely uses stereo vision, not ultrasonic.

If I put a P4 in a hover, face it towards me and start walking towards it, will it back away from me? Hmmm... Need to try that!

And if there are multiple objects moving near the P4 in range of it's forward sensors, how does it react? Closest one? Biggest one?

As for the birds, I think they're too fast especially if they come in from an angle.

p4 tries to choose path of least resistance.
upload_2016-3-10_10-37-20.png

easier to go left? ok
upload_2016-3-10_10-45-24.png

easier to go between? ok
upload_2016-3-10_10-52-42.png

too big? stop, or easier to go over?
upload_2016-3-10_11-6-21.png

the onscreen indicators show green, yellow, red bars depending on the size of the obstacle. If its 3 bars of red left to right, it stops or goes over if you programed it to go over. If theres 2 red on left, middle, and a yellow bar on right then it will strafe right.
upload_2016-3-10_11-9-3.png

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic