P4 battery, - redundancy embedded?

Reaction score
Hello,

I was just wondering, about the purpose of the 10-pin battery connector. Is there a possibility that they made it like that, to have cell redundancy?
I mean that assuming you have 4 x (4 cells in series), being parallel connected via some kind of semiconductor switches, and the full capacity of the battery is 5350 mAh, then if a cell brakes down during flight, the intelligent battery monitor board, could disconnect 1 row of (4 cells in series), and run the aircraft with the remaining (3/4) X 5350= 4012 mAh.

The other obvious reason to have the 10-pin connector, would be for larger contact area and thus lower resistance on the current path.

I have not yet seen a P4 battery disassembled, to have more data.

(If at least 4 power cables connect the cells to the monitor board, perhaps that is the case)

Thanks

DJI-Phantom-4_revised-battery-charger.jpg

(If at least 4 power cables connect the cells to the monitor board, perhaps that is the case)

Update - No cell redundancy. You can see only a pair of power connectors (red/black) connecting the cells to the board.

13680446_504274939782823_7653337041263239139_o.jpg

If there were redundancy in the pack, you can bet your bottom dollar DJI would be spin-marketing it and people would be screaming how it increases the price of batteries unnecessarily.

We call that a no-win scenario for DJI. For that reason, it will likely never happen, at least not until the greediness of manufacturers on battery margins gets back in-check; assuming it ever does.

Does anybody know what the formal name for the 10-pin connector is? There's gotta be a solder-n-play out there. Looks like a pretty common connector, though it may be proprietary I guess.

If there were redundancy in the pack, you can bet your bottom dollar DJI would be spin-marketing it and people would be screaming how it increases the price of batteries unnecessarily.

We call that a no-win scenario for DJI. For that reason, it will likely never happen, at least not until the greediness of manufacturers on battery margins gets back in-check; assuming it ever does.

There is another scenario, that is win-win, but waiting to come.

Four IGBTs or mosfet DC high current switches, on aircraft (remember you have to switch off durring full propulsion output) . Not on batteries. Battery board will have only 4 low current (no load switches) to transfer cell output to aircraft. (Now they have one.). Since I do design work on power electronics, the difference on battery price would be negligible. The aircraft board with the switches, would not be more than 50 bucks on customer price.

Last edited:
Reactions: WilsonFlyer

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl