P4 battery mod

DB, Have you figured out a workaround to get the P4 battery to top off to 100%, if it has been sitting a few days after a 100% charge, and is now still at 97%-98%, without first somehow discharging it below 95%?

Nope, i fly it for two mins with the externals strapped on doing ascends and descends, it doesnt take long with the external strapped on but unplugged. Wait 15 minutes then charge the battery

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I know this is a bit off topic but does anyone have a tutorial on modding a p3s bird side not battery side? Or is battery side Better?

Sent from my SM-T350 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Battery is not better, but modding the battery doesn't void the warranty, but most of us are way past that point anyhow. If you can open the shell up, and you have simple soldering skills, you can mod the aircraft. Either on here or through PMs I'll be glad to guide you through it.

Nope, i fly it for two mins with the externals strapped on doing ascends and descends, it doesnt take long with the external strapped on but unplugged. Wait 15 minutes then charge the battery
Thanks for sharing your methodology. Kind of a pain. Have you found the magic maximum % remaining that will trigger a recharging? Is it 97% remaining, or must it be 95%, or some other number?

Obviously, a cold IMU calibration will also shorten the lost percentage before flight, without a battery swapout. I'm also hoping the $45 aftermarket eBay P4 parallel hub battery charger will just allow topping off at any level below 100%, like the P3 charger, without having to "game" the system.

Took a couple experimental flights last night and this morning, I won't get into details, but let's just say there was a lot of weight added! The flight was fine, handled well on take off and flying, but I was flying with a direct crosswind so no help from the wind on the way back. I flew 32 mph on the way out and 36 on the way back. Both flights went out around 45,000 feet and on the return trip both flights around 20,000 feet would give me "maximum motorspeed errors" ! I've gotten this message before only on the P3 standard when I weigh it down with too much battery. When you get those errors that usually causes the aircraft veer off to the left or right and you have to slow the motors down and get it back on track, this screenshot of my log as an example, you can see where I was flying straight and then it just veers off
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1468430152.819230.jpg
has anybody else got this maximum motorspeed reached error either running externals or stock?

Have you found the magic maximum % remaining that will trigger a recharging? Is it 97% remaining, or must it be 95%, or some other number?

Took a couple experimental flights last night and this morning, I won't get into details, but let's just say there was a lot of weight added! The flight was fine, handled well on take off and flying, but I was flying with a direct crosswind so no help from the wind on the way back. I flew 32 mph on the way out and 36 on the way back. Both flights went out around 45,000 feet and on the return trip both flights around 20,000 feet would give me "maximum motorspeed errors" ! I've gotten this message before only on the P3 standard when I weigh it down with too much battery. When you get those errors that usually causes the aircraft veer off to the left or right and you have to slow the motors down and get it back on track, this screenshot of my log as an example, you can see where I was flying straight and then it just veers offView attachment 59673 has anybody else got this maximum motorspeed reached error either running externals or stock?
I've only seen "maximum speed reached" or something to that effect, and I just back off on the throttle, and haven't noticed any flight veering when it happens. This is in P mode with OA off using externals. Not sure what triggers it other than a speed throttling in P mode. I'm usually at above 35 mph when I see it, but often see speeds of 39 mph which don't trigger it.

I've only seen "maximum speed reached" or something to that effect, and I just back off on the throttle, and haven't noticed any flight veering when it happens. This is in P mode with OA off using externals. Not sure what triggers it other than a speed throttling in P mode. I'm usually at above 35 mph when I see it, but often see speeds of 39 mph which don't trigger it.

Yep, it's cause I was running too fast with too much weight.

Yep, it's cause I was running too fast with too much weight.
So it's the externals' weight that is triggering it, and we wouldn't see this without any mounted externals? My two MaxAmps 2800`s weigh in at 490g total.

So it's the externals' weight that is triggering it, and we wouldn't see this without any mounted externals? My two MaxAmps 2800`s weigh in at 490g total.

I've NEVER seen that error in p3/a or p3/p, only the p3S when overloaded and now the p4

I've NEVER seen that error in p3/a or p3/p, only the p3S when overloaded and now the p4
Sounds like it is sensing some instability that could lead to a crash, if it continued. In hindsight, I usually only see it on the P4 in sharp turns or in tight circles. Now it is beginning to make sense, as the speed alone is well within normal specs.

Sounds like it is sensing some instability that could lead to a crash, if it continued. In hindsight, I usually only see it on the P4 in sharp turns or in tight circles. Now it is beginning to make sense, as the speed alone is well within normal specs.

Prob a combination of too much weight and crosswind

I a new owner of a p4 and i have quickly been looking for ways to increase range.

I've got a few questions about the dual battery setup and how its works.

1. Is the p4's main battery still the lead battery and the other 2 external ones start running the craft once the main battery runs out? Or other way around??

2. Im guessing there is a reason why people do the 2/2800 mah lipo batteries. Is this because two of these roughly equates to the capacity of 1 p4 battery?
Or can you go higher to like a 3500 or 4000 mah.

3. is there a specific voltage in the external battery i should be looking for?

4. Realistically has anyone got any solid figures they can throw out there as to what total flight time or % increase they are getting out of this mod.

Any feedback would be great.

I a new owner of a p4 and i have quickly been looking for ways to increase range.

I've got a few questions about the dual battery setup and how its works.

1. Is the p4's main battery still the lead battery and the other 2 external ones start running the craft once the main battery runs out? Or other way around??

2. Im guessing there is a reason why people do the 2/2800 mah lipo batteries. Is this because two of these roughly equates to the capacity of 1 p4 battery?
Or can you go higher to like a 3500 or 4000 mah.

3. is there a specific voltage in the external battery i should be looking for?

4. Realistically has anyone got any solid figures they can throw out there as to what total flight time or % increase they are getting out of this mod.

Any feedback would be great.

what battery mod are you referring to? Or do you mean power mod which also can be on the P4 itself.
horizonfpvantennas got a real battery mod..

what battery mod are you referring to? Or do you mean power mod which also can be on the P4 itself.
horizonfpvantennas got a real battery mod..

The external battery mod. I just want to increase my phantoms flight time.

Ive done a bit of reaseach since.

Heres what i beleive to be true about the external battery setup.

1. Doesnt have to be a specific mah or voltage for the battery.

2. It seems people are saying you shouldn't carry any more than 500grams otherwise batteries suffer from the excess weight the more yo go over this. Seems as though the best you can get for dual ext batteries is 2800mah.
The LiPo batteries seem to be the battery of choice.

Not sure what else. But if theres anything else that i should be looking for please let me know!

The external battery mod. I just want to increase my phantoms flight time.

Ive done a bit of reaseach since.

2. It seems people are saying you shouldn't carry any more than 500grams otherwise batteries suffer from the excess weight the more yo go over this. Seems as though the best you can get for dual ext batteries is 2800mah.
The LiPo batteries seem to be the battery of choice.

Not sure what else. But if theres anything else that i should be looking for please let me know!
Voltage mud be 4s...

2. It seems people are saying you shouldn't carry any more than 500grams otherwise batteries suffer from the excess weight the more yo go over this. Seems as though the best you can get for dual ext batteries is 2800mah. The LiPo batteries seem to be the battery of choice.

It needs to be a 4s battery, either LiPo or LiHV at 14.8 or 15.2 volts, the # of mah is up to you. I've read that many with p4 prefer LiPo over LiHV. Try and stay under 500-600g. 2x2800 LiPo are popular, as is the single 5200. Alot can also depend on how you wanna use it, long range vs just more flying time.

In order to be able to charge the DJI battery at 100% when has lost a little bit of power, but not enough for the logic of the trigger to start again a charge, could be possible to bypass the trigger threshold switching on the battery (with the usual double press, 1 short, 1 long) before connecting it to the charger.
Then after few seconds the charge probably starts.
If not, usually is enough to discharge a little bit more the battery, for about 3 minutes or even less (switching on inside the aircraft, no need to fly) and repeat the steps above.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20