p4 battery mod tips.........

Reaction score
ok so i spent a few weeks digging for information and frankly on the p4 there wasn't a ton of info available. my setup is as follows:
2 x 2800 mah maxamps lipo
1 icharger 106b+
1 progressive rc charger 350
1 pair of maxxuav battery wings
1 parallel charging board
this was almost 400 dollars in parts to do the mod and i really didn't want to pay another 250 to have it professionally done.
there's some good videos online to do the teardown i highly recommend this one:

here's a picture of my shell taken off the bird and ready for the battery wiring to be done
(see thumbnails below)

the only part of the entire project i found a little hard was trying to get the new wires soldered onto the circuit board. i highly recommend not going to the board because the amount of heat required to do it can very easily damage the delicate electronics. what i did was a t wire splice where you basically strip back some of the wire in the wire that's already soldered and spice your wire that you will route outside the bird to that stripped area. if you put the soldering pencil under this splice and let it heat up you can solder them together perfectly! one thing to remember the bigger the glob doesn't mean the better the job! here's a good link of what it should look like.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FX5n0wprwaE/VE6RcmuhP3I/AAAAAAAARrI/cHy_Xb2ifuc/s1600/T+Joint.jpg

i also found that soldering the xt60 connectors onto the wires was a little tuff to not get the heat shrink to shrink from the heat because i was worried about weight i tried to make my wires short as possible. here's some pictures of the finished work.
(see thumbnails below)

from my research on here i've realized that the phantom 4 is a little weaker at carrying the weight than the phantom 3. i was sold on the 1800-2250 mah batteries and i pulled the trigger on the 2800 mah pair. they were 85 dollars each so if they turn out to be to heavy i guess i'm buying a p3 to use them in!

here's a picture of the charger, power supply and the maxamps batteries
(see thumbnails below)

the completed setup ready for my first flight wish me luck
(see thumbnails below)

Photo Aug 14.jpeg Photo Aug 14-2.jpeg IMG_3593.JPG image.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3594.JPG
    IMG_3594.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 680
Last edited:
Reactions: nickyb
the 4s 2800 maxamps charge to 4.2 each so charging the lihv to 4.32 would offer a slight advantage in capacity correct?

Hey Joseph! I've been looking for a tutorial to do this myself...

Here's what I'm wondering-

1. Do you have any pics of where you soldered the wires?
2. Do you have any pics once you got it all done, but before you out the shell back on.
3. I assume what you do to one side you do to the other?
4. Had any issues?
5. Cracking? Anything not working?

More pics would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Nice mad thanks for sharing. How much do your 2800mah batteries weigh each?
How much more flight time has been now added to your 'bird'?
And have you noticed any adverse effect with the motors having to work harder to carry the extra weight?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik