P4 Battery FAILS - Poor Quality Control

Reaction score
Bought a new P4 Battery on-line . . DEAD ON ARRIVAL. Would not even light up. Sent it back to Amazon and got a refund at least. Bought another new one from Best Buy. DOA as well. It would light up briefly but would not charge or power up a P4. Took it back and they replaced it. This time it took a charge and flew for over 22 min to 3:40 min left. Back in the 3way dji Charger though I noticed it wiggles easily back and forth in the slot. ( sloppy fit). My original two are snug fit and don't wiggle after insertion for charging.

Whoever is the new supplier for dji batteries is not building them to the same tolerances as the originals shipped with the units . . and their quality control is the pits. . . ie >66% failure rate by my count.

Anyone else seeing this?

DEAD ON ARRIVAL. Would not even light up. Sent it back to Amazon and got a refund at least. Bought another new one from Best Buy. DOA as well. It would light up briefly but would not charge or power up a P4.
This is typical for DJI batteries that are not charged for a long time. Perhaps someone isn't rotating the stock.

Why would it swell up?

It's been charged and used a couple of times now and it's still sloppy in the charger. The original batteries are 40.3mm ( virtually identical) and the sloppy one is 39.8mm. I agree that's not much, but my originals are identical. This photo angle is not perfect but the sloppy fit one is on the right. . .It seems to work ok . . but why the difference, other than some one else made it to a different standard or spec. . or maybe a different supplier or a different production mold.
Battcompare.jpg

Agreed. There should not be a difference. However, other people have mentioned the same issue with the new batteries.

If you prefer the old battery design, you can buy the original batteries here on Amazon.

It's been charged and used a couple of times now and it's still sloppy in the charger. The original batteries are 40.3mm ( virtually identical) and the sloppy one is 39.8mm. I agree that's not much, but my originals are identical. This photo angle is not perfect but the sloppy fit one is on the right. . .It seems to work ok . . but why the difference, other than some one else made it to a different standard or spec. . or maybe a different supplier or a different production mold.View attachment 64741

As you've eluded to there are likely dozens of molds and possibly multiple vendors.

Plastics shrink and there is no telling what the variance is in actual composition(s).

As you've eluded to there are likely dozens of molds and possibly multiple vendors.

Plastics shrink and there is no telling what the variance is in actual composition(s).

There are two different versions of the battery. The new iteration doesn't fit as snug as the original. which is by design to help with the cracking issue of the original version

I've noticed also that the Center white plastic bars on either side of the case have quite a space between it and the battery on the newer batteries and the originals are flat to the sides and not bowed out a bit in the new one

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Have about 80 charges on my first battery that came with my P4, Still charges at 100%! I have my low battery levels at 25% and critical at 20% all the cells are equal and the battery is still going. I have 6 battery's total and every time there is an update I update each and every battery! Sounds kinda crazy....but you have to and should do this every time there is an update to avoid any issues!

Every time there is an update for your P4 the battery's must be updated as well. Just keep running the same update with each battery!

Every time there is an update for your P4 the battery's must be updated as well. Just keep running the same update with each battery!

Like what? Re-Flash the bird with each battery? I read somewhere that if your battery firmware is not up to date, DJI Go App advises there is an inconsistent firmware and prompts you to do it, isn't this the case?

Like what? Re-Flash the bird with each battery? I read somewhere that if your battery firmware is not up to date, DJI Go App advises there is an inconsistent firmware and prompts you to do it, isn't this the case?
You will not have to update the quad every time just the battery, Place the battery in the bird and start as usual, do not go to camera in GO and wait for the battery update mesage, then say OK and it does not take long. you have to turn off your quad then restart for the firmware to complete, do this with all your batteries if they need a update.

Did that . . now we are up to date . . then dji announces a new controller update. . . and I'm back to resetting and retesting all the features I thought were working fine. It will likely be the ONE time I don't go back and check functionality that I get burned . . .they seem to be very specific about what was changed but not sure how other functionality may be effected

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31