P4 bad range when standing right under it?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So i totally love my p4 everything works great, i have flown the p4 at 1km range and 500mm high with perfect rc signal and fpv. I never intend to fly further than 1km because i use the p4 for filmmaking.

However there is 1 thing that is really annoying me. whenever i am direct below the phantom or in a 20m range and fly upward for a cinematic shot. The p4 loses range at around 80m-100m??

As a filmmaker i do this shot almost every time for videos why is my rc losing range when i am directly under it? but it keeps range when its 1km away and can go up to 500m?

I know i need to flap the antennas straight forward when its above me. And the range is low when your p4 is above you. but come one... 80meters?

Last edited:
Yes, it's all about antenna orientation in relation to where the phantom is in the sky, when you get poor reception, try turning the antenna so the flat sides are directed towards the bird.
Watch this short instructional video on antenna orientation...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Also make sure your device doesn't get in between the antennas and your craft. This is especially true for a large device like the iPad Air. The antenna signal won't pass through it very well.

Reactions: MarkEt
Get a deck chair. Seriously! Perfect angle then!
I once tried a vertical takeoff to max altitude - I ended up holding the control above my head and almost upside down - aerials must always point at the bird!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic