P4 backpack for traveling

Reaction score
Going on a trip next month and I wanted to take my P4 with. Has anyone bought a P4 backpack that you brought on the plane with you and didn't check? Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thx

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's important to know that you cannot check your Li-Po batteries, they must be carried on. So you might as well carry on the quad too and keep everything together. Hard cases are too big to be within the 20x14x9" size limit. For backpacks you need to be careful because some are not small enough for that FAA size limit. Most airlines aren't picky about it in the US, you can usually get away with something a little bit over the limit, but you don't want to be stranded somewhere when a gate attendant gets picky, the flight is over booked and they are looking for a reason to kick people off the flight. I like my Think Tank Helipad backpack, it's very good quality and a padded waist belt. It's one of the roomiest backpacks I've owned, and I've owned 4 brands. I also have a Chinese Cheapy, and it works OK, but not as much room as the Think Tank. The best value I've seen is this Pro Craft, similar to my Think Tank with the configurable internal walls.

Thanks for the feedback John. I'll take a look at the Think Tank pack. Can you also put a laptop in this pack as well?

I take it that the hard shell cases that you're referring will not fit in the overhead like this one?

9a3e4bcf0d8a3124a23e9271ba26f7ba.jpg

Thanks for the feedback John. I'll take a look at the Think Tank pack. Can you also put a laptop in this pack as well?

I take it that the hard shell cases that you're referring will not fit in the overhead like this one?

9a3e4bcf0d8a3124a23e9271ba26f7ba.jpg

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that. Most of the hard shell backpacks are the right size for FAA compliance, but the hardshell waterproof cases on wheels from Microraptor and GPC are too big (and heavy IMHO). The problem with the hard shell backpacks are lack of room inside. Many people complain it doesn't have room for an iPad. The think tank backpack will accept a 13-15" laptop, the thinner the better. I'm unsure about the procraft.

The Think Tank protects the Phantom really well? If there's room for my MAC then I might lean towards the pack you have instead.

I took the old P2/3 foam out of my GoProfessional backpack and slipped in the P4 box from DJI. Fit well and I flew up to Seattle today with it. Seems great!

I traveled on a plane with the P4 in the "stock" foam case and it was perfectly fine. Also it will fit in an overhead bin no problem.

I traveled on a plane with the P4 in the "stock" foam case and it was perfectly fine. Also it will fit in an overhead bin no problem.

Same here. Just took it with me on a delta flight in a MD88 with the smaller overhead bins on the side with only 2 seats per row and it fit very easily in there. I like this case. I glued an elastic strap to it so that when walking with my carry-on it stays strapped to the handle of my suitcase.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Going on a trip next month and I wanted to take my P4 with. Has anyone bought a P4 backpack that you brought on the plane with you and didn't check? Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thx

Just flew from CA to FL with this one.

Reactions: maseman88
Just flew from CA to FL with this one.

I had the same....love it, works great. Tons of storage. Functional, a bit pricey but very good value IMO.

I travel a lot. This is what I used to take my XuGong V2 everywhere in. Never had any drama.
I have since made a new foam insert for the bag so I can take the P4 everywhere with me now.
It just went around Japan with me for the last week.

I really like the Manfrotto bag above. I just wish it wasnt so horribly overpriced (like many other bags)

Attachments

• IMG_7475.jpg
    IMG_7475.jpg
    491.3 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_7480.jpg
    IMG_7480.jpg
    569 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_7482.jpg
    IMG_7482.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_7484.jpg
    IMG_7484.jpg