P4/Apple

Reaction score
I find it strange that Apple sells the Phantom but not extra batteries, at least that is what I was told.

what is the benefit of ordering through apple versus DJI?

One benefit is they give you an estimated shipping date.
Actually, the Apple estimated shipping dates are very misleading. Overnight shipping lists a range of dates through March 16th. Two day shipping lists a range of dates through March 17th. In neither case will you ever receive your P4 order before the last date specified for shipping, as none will be shipped until March 15, per agreement with DJI. However, you may be able to pick one up in an Apple Store on March 15th.

The reason NOT to order from Apple is that you have to pay state sales tax on the full purchase price. DJI pays the state sales tax included in the $1399 price, saving over $100.

Reactions: Noble 1
Actually, the Apple estimated shipping dates are very misleading.
We know DJI starts shipping on March 15th per their online store. How do we know Apple is not shipping before the 15th? They must already have their stock if they are advertising those dates.

Reactions: PHANTOMUSER
Actually, the Apple estimated shipping dates are very misleading. Overnight shipping lists a range of dates through March 16th. Two day shipping lists a range of dates through March 17th. In neither case will you ever receive your P4 order before the last date specified for shipping, as none will be shipped until March 15, per agreement with DJI. However, you may be able to pick one up in an Apple Store on March 15th.

The reason NOT to order from Apple is that you have to pay state sales tax on the full purchase price. DJI pays the state sales tax included in the $1399 price, saving over $100.
I see! Thank you @msinger and @GadgetGuy
Well, I live in Oregon. No sales tax for me either way!

I live in Oregon. No sales tax for me either way!
Apple doesn't charge tax in Oregon? It seems they must since they have a physical presence there.

upload_2016-3-7_13-54-33.png

upload_2016-3-7_13-56-1.png

upload_2016-3-7_13-56-25.png

We know DJI starts shipping on March 15th per their online store. How do we know Apple is not shipping before the 15th? They must already have their stock if they are advertising those dates.
Do you really think DJI would allow their exclusive partner to ship before DJI will start shipping on the official release date? Apple is prohibited from shipping any units to customers before the official release date of March 15. Apple confirms. Apple will have display units available in the Apple Stores prior to March 15, but no units may be bought in the stores until March 15th, no matter how many they have on hand. Pre-orders from Apple will be shipped out on March 15th, just like from DJI, limited to availabilty and in order of purchase.

If there is a problem with the P4 and I ordered it through apple would I risk problems with a return in regards to warranty issues? or would they just refer me to DJI for warranty issues?

Do you really think DJI would allow their exclusive partner to ship before DJI will start shipping on the official release date?
Well, they did prohibit all longtime authorized DJI dealers from purchasing :)

I just find their quoted ship dates odd. I've pre-ordered many things from Apple in the past -- and, their ship dates from their checkouts were always dead on.

Those dates on March 1st had March 16th and March 17th as the last dates of each date range. The earlier dates of each range on March 1 were March 9. The earlier dates were just as misleading as the first dates specified above. The delivery will likely be on the last date specified. No way they can deliver a shipped unit on March 15. March 15 is for in store purchases only.

Or, are they shipping for delivery on March 15th maybe? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Well, they did prohibit all longtime authorized DJI dealers from purchasing :)

I just find their quoted ship dates odd. I've pre-ordered many things from Apple in the past -- and, their ship dates from their checkouts were always dead on.
I found them odd, too, so I called and spoke to the manager of my local Apple Store on March 1st, and they told me what I wrote above. YMMV, but that is the way it is supposed to be done. Note that the specified range of dates are accurate, despite being misleading, as they include a last date which is realistic. :cool:

Actually you're wrong. I spoke with apple support and they explicitly stated that there is a very good chance I will receive mine before the 15th, as they start shipping on the 10th.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Do you really think DJI would allow their exclusive partner to ship before DJI will start shipping on the official release date? Apple is prohibited from shipping any units to customers before the official release date of March 15. Apple confirms. Apple will have display units available in the Apple Stores prior to March 15, but no units may be bought in the stores until March 15th, no matter how many they have on hand. Pre-orders from Apple will be shipped out on March 15th, just like from DJI, limited to availabilty and in order of purchase.

I was told by apple support that there is a strong chance that I will receive my P4 before the 15th. My shipping estimate is the 10th - the 17th

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Or, are they shipping for delivery on March 15th maybe? I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Only if DJI is also planning on doing that, and DJI has stated all pre-orders will ship out beginning on March 15 in the order of purchase. As you say, we'll see. My money is on all pre-order units shipping out no earlier than March 15, but in store purchases both at Apple Stores and the DJI Store in China will be available on March 15th to walk out with.

I was told by apple support that there is a strong chance that I will receive my P4 before the 15th. My shipping estimate is the 10th - the 17th
That means you got free shipping and it will be delivered March 17th, as it will ship out on the 15th. Prove me wrong! I'll pay for your P4 if it arrives any earlier than March 17th! :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31