P4 AND OBSERVED BIRD STRIKE

Reaction score
While doing a photo session today I observed a Purple Martin flying close to the P4 when all of a sudden the Martin looked like it was trying to land on the side of my P4 while it hovered. Before I could do anything the bird was struck by the props - the bird went to the ground not to move again and the P4 shuddered a bit and continued to hover like nothing had happened. Upon landing I inspected the P4 and did not detect any damage. It didn't appear that the bird was attacking the P4 only curious as the bird was hovering beside the P4 before the strike for a moment.

Dub3, wow! You are probably one of a very few to ever witness that. Sure good to hear that your Phantom was OK! I have seen some buzzards circling over our property and thought I would "attack" them. I throttled up and headed towards them, then I came to my senses and backed off. I don't know what I would have done had I actually "caught one"! :) It is good to stay far away from such events. I wonder what that Purple Martin thought your drone was? I might understand one really attacking a drone or accidentally flying into one but going in from the side is weird.

Good luck and happy "birding"!
Jim
WA5TEF

Dub3, wow! You are probably one of a very few to ever witness that. Sure good to hear that your Phantom was OK! I have seen some buzzards circling over our property and thought I would "attack" them. I throttled up and headed towards them, then I came to my senses and backed off. I don't know what I would have done had I actually "caught one"! :) It is good to stay far away from such events. I wonder what that Purple Martin thought your drone was? I might understand one really attacking a drone or accidentally flying into one but going in from the side is weird.

Good luck and happy "birding"!
Jim
WA5TEF
I would expect a buzzard strike to end in a different story regarding the P4. The Purple Martin is only 1.5-2X the size of a sparrow.

Poor bird, it probably never understood what happened... On the other hand, I know that the Dutch police have trained falcons to catch drones near airports, so smarter birds can easily do it. They catch the drones by the landing gears, avoiding the propellers (which they in fact can see, unlike us humans who can only see the rotor discs).

Poor bird, it probably never understood what happened... On the other hand, I know that the Dutch police have trained falcons to catch drones near airports, so smarter birds can easily do it. They catch the drones by the landing gears, avoiding the propellers (which they in fact can see, unlike us humans who can only see the rotor discs).

Hi, what would an untrained hawk do? I see every once in a while flying around in a wide circle and I do not take off. Would they attack it?

Hi, what would an untrained hawk do? I see every once in a while flying around in a wide circle and I do not take off. Would they attack it?
That would be interesting to find out. As far as I know hawks don't have any airborn natural enemies, so I would think it is possible that they would.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik