P3S Weak signal

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Got my P3S today (exciting) I took it to around 100m in the air and it was saying weak transmission signal but the video was fine. Is it ok to continue to fly the aircraft from that position ?

Hi guys,
Got my P3S today (exciting) I took it to around 100m in the air and it was saying weak transmission signal but the video was fine. Is it ok to continue to fly the aircraft from that position ?

Hey bro you are not the only one having this issue.. i m loosing radio signal at 40m - 60m.. some people loose video signal.. it comes with the new 1.6.80 update, and thee are lot of people out there having the same issue.. if you ask DJI they will say to send the drone back to repair, that is the only thing they say and still there is no clear solution for this.. but we can wait for another fixed firmware upgrade, yesterday came a new firmware for phantom 3 pro, so I hope standard will also get new one very soon, and if it is not going to fix the problem, we all have send i back, including you and me..

Reactions: Jeandre
Hi guys,
2 things to check first:

1. Is it directly above you? Not recommended because of that very issue.

2. Is the antenna on your RC correctly oriented? It should be parallel to the legs of the phantom.

I experienced a similar issue flying my P3S the first time and the problem was that it was directly overhead. Being there, even with the antenna properly oriented, it was still not getting a good signal. Once I flew it a few feet away (30 feet maybe), signal strength returned and all was well. That may or may not be your issue but give it a try.

2 things to check first:

1. Is it directly above you? Not recommended because of that very issue.

2. Is the antenna on your RC correctly oriented? It should be parallel to the legs of the phantom.

I experienced a similar issue flying my P3S the first time and the problem was that it was directly overhead. Being there, even with the antenna properly oriented, it was still not getting a good signal. Once I flew it a few feet away (30 feet maybe), signal strength returned and all was well. That may or may not be your issue but give it a try.
Yes you are correct I was flying it directly above me. I will try not to do that next time and see what happens.
Thanks for the advice

Hey bro you are not the only one having this issue.. i m loosing radio signal at 40m - 60m.. some people loose video signal.. it comes with the new 1.6.80 update, and thee are lot of people out there having the same issue.. if you ask DJI they will say to send the drone back to repair, that is the only thing they say and still there is no clear solution for this.. but we can wait for another fixed firmware upgrade, yesterday came a new firmware for phantom 3 pro, so I hope standard will also get new one very soon, and if it is not going to fix the problem, we all have send i back, including you and me..
Yes it does seem to happen to quite a few people, I hope dji rectify the problem soon.

Yes you are correct I was flying it directly above me. I will try not to do that next time and see what happens.
Thanks for the advice
Yw. Hope it helps. I've only been flying about a month and a half but I've learned a lot. Once you're comfortable, you need to get the Litchi app. You'll be amazed at what you can do!

Yw. Hope it helps. I've only been flying about a month and a half but I've learned a lot. Once you're comfortable, you need to get the Litchi app. You'll be amazed at what you can do!
Thanks I will be sure to get that

I've had some signal issues as well, I've been using a windsurfer and can still get 2,000 ft out, more in some cases. However, I've had instances where I will loose signal and RTH within 800 ft (not too much interference). Like others said, hopefully the next firmware update will have signal / range improvements.

Sorry to thread hijack - the video transmission range on my P3S has been butchered down to about 40 metres by the latest firmware update. The controller will still push commands to the Phantom beyond that distance. Just wondering if this is a common issue or a hardware fault?

I know it's not a lot to go by, but hopefully someone will have an idea!

Can't wait to get flying properly so that I can give back to this forum! I've had two P3 Standards now, both had faults... A real shame considering what they should be capable of :mad:

Last edited:
All of these windsurfer extenders only apply to the antenna which on the Phantom 3 Standard only controls the bird. This does not do much good if the video link from the buildt in antennas are not boosted and you lose the video feed...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

All of these windsurfer extenders only apply to the antenna which on the Phantom 3 Standard only controls the bird. This does not do much good if the video link from the buildt in antennas are not boosted and you lose the video feed...
The Pro/Adv that also uses the external antennas for both RC and video that's a different story. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The Pro/Adv that also uses the external antennas for both RC and video that's a different story. [emoji4]
Correct!

So in my mind there can be two issues at foot here. Do all the P3S have the exact same hardware? Might there be different chip sets on the board. Next just a corrupt install of the update itself. Since these P3S normally use wifi to install the firmware (which is a no no) with any other device, like a router or modem for example. I for one put all three (RC, drone, phone) within one foot of each other durning the install, and do it in a room as far away as can be from my home wifi router.
This is why I'm saying this, finally got up the nerve to turn off the distance limiter, and went out just over the 1000m mark. With 1.6.80 and a Windsurfer mod with a P3S. No issues at all, had full RC control and video the whole time. Just had a little "image signal error message" on top of the Go app for a bit, but the image itself was clean.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers