P3S v's better, more expensive models ?

Reaction score
I see a lot of people lately who hanker after a bigger and better DJI model than the P3S.

Many of whom, after just a few days of ownership.

And fair enough too.

But for me, the P3S offers enough features, bang for buck and all round performance at a price that won't send me totally broke if I crash it.

No way would I spend mega bucks on any piece of kit that could get totalled every time I fly it.

It would be great if money was no object.

Interesting comment and an interesting sentiment. I see the various platforms on offer as a chance for those with either needing an opportunity to increase their flying range and enhance their skills or use a base to enhance their photography/filming skills. The luxury we have is that we can make that decision either based on price point or passion. There are many people who cannot even get close to what you have.

Reactions: Dazzauk and Paul60
Interesting comment and an interesting sentiment. I see the various platforms on offer as a chance for those with either needing an opportunity to increase their flying range and enhance their skills or use a base to enhance their photography/filming skills. The luxury we have is that we can make that decision either based on price point or passion. There are many people who cannot even get close to what you have.

For under $500AUS I can buy a P3S (that has a lot of cool features).

I'd need to go north of $1000AUS to get something bigger & better.

I could go out and buy a $10,000 drone or two tomorrow if I wanted.

Maybe I'm just a tight bastard.!

Reactions: grin factor
I don't think I'd be inclined to light up and smoke $100 notes either come to think.

For under $500AUS I can buy a P3S (that has a lot of cool features).

I'd need to go north of $1000AUS to get something bigger & better.

I could go out and buy a $10,000 drone or two tomorrow if I wanted.

Maybe I'm just a tight bastard.!
Nah not at all, I started with a PS3 but got overwhelmed with the wifi challenges and moved up because the price was right. If I were to justify the purchase, it would be because I am addicted to flying them, have endless areas to fly and I'm kind to animals..... Not about the money, it's about having fun and having that stupid grin when you land after a long trip. My other passion is motorcycles, that's where the money is.

To many people a few thousand is nothing. The only reason ive stuck with the standard is because i can afford to replace it if lost. For reasons i wont go in to, im likely to never be in the position to afford anything more expensive.

However, If i were say...a home owner (UK) Im sure id just buy a P4 pro or inspire. In fact i wonder why so many people with enough money to own a home or nice car even bother with the standard? Whats a few thousand £, if you own a £200,000 home?

Paul you tight sod :D

To many people a few thousand is nothing. The only reason ive stuck with the standard is because i can afford to replace it if lost. For reasons i wont go in to, im likely to never be in the position to afford anything more expensive.

However, If i were say...a home owner (UK) Im sure id just buy a P4 pro or inspire. In fact i wonder why so many people with enough money to own a home or nice car even bother with the standard? Whats a few thousand £, if you own a £200,000 home?

Paul you tight sod :D
Well put, or in my case it's about counting costs and measuring values. It gets easier as you get older.

I like to tinker with my P3S. I just got a 2nd P3S working. I bought an open box P3S from a recycler with no camera. Then got a parts P3S with a camera for a 100 bucks. Fun to work on! Now I have 2 birds 2 batteries and parts to fix both!!

I have a few hobbies, and my approach is always the same: start with something decent that doesn't break the bank. If you find yourself outgrowing it, then buying something better & more expensive will be an easy and natural decision. The P3S, in my opinion, is a killer deal (I got it refurbished for $360, less than a new GoPro) and a very capable machine. Would it be nice to have a better camera, better range, obstacle avoidance and some other fancy features? Sure. Do I need them? At the moment, no, far from it: there's so much to learn from a videography point of view to make nice and compelling videos, that the P3S is definitely not limiting me in any way.

I had a P3S till Sunday, when due to pilot error I lost it. Bit gutted at first, but as not too expensive shrugged the shoulders & tomorrow will be getting another one. It does what I want & at the moment I'm happy enough with the range, If an advanced came along 6 months down the line cheap enough I may get it, but so far I'm happy with it

With the new rules issued in Canada today , there's no need for anything better than the P3S :(

Those rules are ridiculous. 75 meters from all structures and people, yet no more than 90 meters altitude? No flying beyond 500 meters? $3000 fines for violations? As much as I complain about diminishing freedoms in the US, the rest of the world seems headed toward total Orwellian lunacy.

I have a few hobbies, and my approach is always the same: start with something decent that doesn't break the bank. If you find yourself outgrowing it, then buying something better & more expensive will be an easy and natural decision. The P3S, in my opinion, is a killer deal (I got it refurbished for $360, less than a new GoPro) and a very capable machine. Would it be nice to have a better camera, better range, obstacle avoidance and some other fancy features? Sure. Do I need them? At the moment, no, far from it: there's so much to learn from a videography point of view to make nice and compelling videos, that the P3S is definitely not limiting me in any way.
I agree! Well said!

I agree.

To add to that. I had a few toys before (Traxxas QR-1, Hubsan X4, WLToys Frankenquad, Syma X5SC) But the P3 Standard was my first real hobby grade quadcopter. It is a great quad for that first leap and I still recommend it to all starting out. Easy to fly and the awesome feature of RTH for when you really mess up. Most would be happy keeping the standard until it wore out. Me on the other hand, after I mastered the Standard, I just wanted MORE. I was just about to sink a bunch of $$$ into amps and batteries and all that for more distance, but then I stopped myself when I realized I'd have more $$$$ into it and I could have just bought a Pro version... so that's what I did.

+1 on the OP, the P3S is more than enough for beginner flyers. I use mine for work on the farm and it's nice knowing that if/when it crashes, new parts and bits from broken drones are easily available. For the price of a P4 I could get 3
of these things!

Horses for courses but yeah, I'm pretty happy with the Standard. It's no slouch either with 500m max altitude and 2000m range with a parabolic antenna. My only complaint is the Wifi link between the bird, RC and phone is so slow that image transfers take forever.

Reactions: Paul60
I guess I meant to say, I think it's a great balance between money in the air and capability & performance.

My hat goes off to those who want to move up.

For now, sticking with my P3S. I've had it a year and have over 25 hours of flight time. I've flown in Alaska, Arizona, and upstate NY. I live in FL and have lots of water to fly over which seems scary but it's better than over land - beautiful, no people, no interference. I've used it to master the video/photography as well as the flying. I'm interested in the upgraded camera and technology of the P3 Pro, but not ready to spend the money yet. I'm a counselor and also use it with kids to help, with perspective taking as well as impulse control and decision making. For me, the P3S is just right.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie