P3S Takes a Bath - How to Dry Out

Reaction score
I was flying near a lake yesterday. I got "OK to fly, non GPS." Never got that before, but figured the "ok" was all I needed. Take off was fine, but then aircraft wouldn't hover and became erratic, hit branch and fell into the lake, getting completely submerged for about a minute. No apparent damage, other than wet. I dried things off with towels and a hair blower, and wanted to open it up to do more, but it looks there are some unusual hex fittings that I have no tool to open. Any ideas on how to dry out the aircraft and the battery? If that doesn't work, where can I send it for repair?

I am not sure about the P3S but my P2V cover comes off with a 2 mm hex and a No. 0 Phillips on the tip screws.

A lot of guys have reported that pouring rice inside and letting it sit a few days will dry it out nicely.

Welcome to the site and good luck!

I was flying near a lake yesterday. I got "OK to fly, non GPS." Never got that before, but figured the "ok" was all I needed. Take off was fine, but then aircraft wouldn't hover and became erratic, hit branch and fell into the lake, getting completely submerged for about a minute. No apparent damage, other than wet. I dried things off with towels and a hair blower, and wanted to open it up to do more, but it looks there are some unusual hex fittings that I have no tool to open. Any ideas on how to dry out the aircraft and the battery? If that doesn't work, where can I send it for repair?

The usual DJI staff. :rolleyes:

Sorry for your loss, I am really pessimistic about recovering your aircraft after a bath.

Last edited:
I put my Phantom 3 Standard and separate battery in a tall kitchen bag with 5 pounds of rice for 3 days, so the rice could absorb any residual moisture left in the aircraft. I called DJI and was told by tech support that once a drone is submerged, it is most likely a total loss, the repair costs exceeding the replacement costs. After the 3 days, I figured that I had nothing to lose, so I hooked everything up, without the props, and it appeared to operate as normal. The next night I flew it outside for the 10 minutes that were left on the battery before splashing into the lake. I even used the same props that hit the trees, since I didn't see or feel any damage. The flight went without flaw, and I feel I have my drone back! I think the keys were: quick retrieval, towel drying as much as possible, then immediate hair dryer blowing on low heat, followed by the bag of rice. Good luck if it ever happens to you! Also, if it says, "safe to fly - non GPS," don't fly unless you have a wide open space and can control your aircraft without it's ability to hover!

Reactions: Yiannis.B

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers