P3S suitable for African Adventure???

Reaction score
So quick intro....

I am totally new to drone flying (as in haven't done it yet), and am thinking of buying a p3s as my first drone. The main reason for starting is an upcoming trip that I want to be able to shoot footage of.

In October, some friends and I are heading to Tanzania to do a charity cycle ride, followed by a safari trip. I think it would provide some awesome footage to capture bits of both trips from a drone, and want to buy the drone soon so I can learn and practise.

But I have a few questions before I wave my credit card at my local drone retail outlet!!

1) How compact can the drone be for transport? I will need to have it in flight luggage on the way there and back, as well as carry it around in a backpack while cycling.

2) Can anyone guess/foresee any problems flying in Tanzania possibly relating to GPS, cell coverage etc?

3) Anything major that I haven't thought about?

4) Am I buying the right drone for the £500ish price range?

TIA guys and girls

Nick

The first thing you need to check is what regulations apply in Tanzania....some African countries have a total ban on drones.

Reactions: NickHill
I never traveled to Africa, but I do know that you won't have to worry about cell service. The Phantom 3 standard has built in wifi, you just connect to the Phantom and your off flying. (Does not matter where you are). I would also buy extra batteries. (That's my 2 cents). And yes, your phantom will fit snug in a backpack.

Maybe contact hotel or resort, maybe the can fill you in a little better on there laws, double check with airport too.

not up on african power grid specs. so make sure you have a charger that works on it. couple of people I have met give me blank stares when I ask what voltage and cycles they use.
Consider putting a mouse picture on top so elephants don't step on it when you land. mythbusters say they do fear them. of course african elephants may not have seen that episode.

Reactions: NickHill
Thanks for the quick responses. Rocky dog wins the "best post" award. I just looked it up, and no drones are allowed over any national parks in Tanz (to prevent poachers using them).

So whole idea can stop. Will just strap a GoPro to my head and that will have to do.

Thanks anyway

Reactions: rockydog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan