P3S standard range help!

Reaction score
I bought my P3S about 2 weeks ago and I can seem to go vertical far with it before my remote says signal weak, and then I lose signal. What is the average distance that a P3S is supposed to get right out of the box with no mods? I live in Houston, not sure if that help. I can usually not get it anywhere near out of LOS, I can usually fly it about 300ft high and about 400 feet out and I'll lose signal. Is this normal? How can I post my flights logs so you can see what I'm talking about?

I believe the P3S comes factory defaulted to a limited range and within the settings there should be a place to turn off the distance and altitude settings and make them whatever you'd like. Not sure if you have seen this setting already?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Maverick, I have seen that and I also turned off the beginner mode which turns off the range limits.

huh maybe too much electrical interference coming from the inner city? Have you calibrated the mtu yet?

Here's my flight log. You can see I don't get very far before I lose signal.

Attachments

• 1455427549768.jpg
    1455427549768.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 401
You posted the notification log showing lost connection. How does the signal map look in H Drones? Will give an even better idea what's happening. Do you have the antennas vertical and parallel? Is your tablet/phone in airplane mode (with only wifi enabled)? You will be surprised how much surrounding wifi and other rf devices will effect your range by reducing signal to noise ratio.

I can tell you for sure it all has to do with wifi interference. You won't get far in the burbs as everyone in your area has wifi. To test distance you need to go out and explore in the countryside or on the water. I just got a little under 7000ft 2 days ago. Unmodified remote out of box. So it's all based on what is around you. Since each area is different. So will be the results. Good luck. Eventually the more experience you get the more you will know how to push the limit of range if that is your objective. I know I could have pushed it further but at that point it was no need. As I had not seen My drone for almost 10 mins. It was time to come home.

Also antenna aiming.
The wifi antennas inside the controller are pointed directly forward.
Like the beam is coming out of the font (top?) of the controller where the tilt wheel is. So that top part of the controller should be pointed at the Standard. But the dipole antenna should be 90 degree perpendicular to the craft.

Once you get that dialed in you will find "your" maximum range in "your area".
Then go explore some areas free of interference.
Then you will know if your problem is "your area".

Don't start moding your controller if you are getting bad results out of the box. You should return it and start with a good unit.

You posted the notification log showing lost connection. How does the signal map look in H Drones? Will give an even better idea what's happening. Do you have the antennas vertical and parallel? Is your tablet/phone in airplane mode (with only wifi enabled)? You will be surprised how much surrounding wifi and other rf devices will effect your range by reducing signal to noise ratio.

So put in airplane mode with wifi enabled to get better range and less interference?

Where in Houston

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Looks like I have a few things to try out to see if it's just the area I'm in. I'm going to try and take it out into the country today, I'll let ya know the results.

You may also pop the cover off and check the connections on the board. I found one connector not even snapped on and another with a bad crimp.

Reactions: martybabe
Katy 2 got a p2 and inspire

Cry Rd close to 529 lost of open area here

Fry sorry

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik