p3s - rth vs smart rth

Unlike Rod, I have just opened a beer, I flew my drone today and my work is done. I always assumed the smart RTH feature specifically dealt with the low battery scenario. Thanks msinger, I picked a bad week to give up sniffing glue......and I can't find my hard copy of the manual...

Reactions: Neon Euc and RodPad
I'm still confused :eek:

I can't remember what was after "sniffing glue" ;)

@nwcove , Your turn you started this, please help us out. :rolleyes:

How about we come up with spread sheet for these variables. ;)

Now I know why I have been confused, and still confused, thanks @msinger, I'm now looking through my collection of glues. :eek: :D

Rod

I'm still confused :eek:

I can't remember what was after "sniffing glue" ;)

@nwcove , Your turn you started this, please help us out. :rolleyes:

How about we come up with spread sheet for these variables. ;)

Now I know why I have been confused, and still confused, thanks @msinger, I'm now looking through my collection of glues. :eek: :D

Rod
'Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up amphetamines'......actually I think Lloyd said it before whipping out the tube of glue.

"The manual says to toggle S2, but doesn't specify if that's once or more. The video says to toggle it 2x or more. Combine that with toggling S1 for 3 or 5 or 10 times for this or that, as well as the fact that the switches both have other purposes..." .....

Page 11 at bottom ... "toggle the S2 switch on the remote controller back and forth at least twice to initiate Smart RTH"

Page 23 second box down ... "toggle the S2 switch on the remote controller back and forth at least twice to initiate Smart RTH"

As to confusion ?? I find the manual does what it says ...

As to RTH ... I find no reference to RTH alone as a separate entity - it has definitive states .... Smart where we tap icon or toggle S2 switch ... Low battery RTH where it initiates RTH at battery needed to get home .... Failsafe RTH when signal is lost.

My thoughts of why you can switch OFF Smart RTH maybe based on if you are one who likes to fly and move same time ... say you are on a boat or in a 4x4 etc. If anything happens - you don't want P3 going of to original home point ... you'd prefer it to hover ? Only just thinking out loud here ... never really thought about it before. If anyne has a better idea on that ?

Nigel

"Smart RTH" is when you manually initiate RTH and your Phantom flies back to the home point.

The "Smart Return-to-Home" feature is not documented in the Phantom manual. It can be found in the "Main Controller Settings" --> "Advanced Settings" section of DJI GO. When enabled and your Phantom only has enough battery power to make it back to the home point, DJI GO will display a prompt to alert you that RTH is going to be auto initiated in 10 seconds. If you do nothing, RTH will be auto initiated and your Phantom will fly back to the home point.

Surely - forgive me for asking ... but your second paragraph describes what happens with LOW BATTERY RTH and is documented in the Phantom manual ... Page 12 ... only difference being whether you use Go or not ??

Nigel

"Page 11 at bottom ... "toggle the S2 switch on the remote controller back and forth at least twice to initiate Smart RTH"

"Page 23 second box down ... "toggle the S2 switch on the remote controller back and forth at least twice to initiate Smart RTH" "

You're right, then I have it reversed from what the video says.

I know I'm not nuts because I labeled my S2 switch after I watched the video, then had to remove the label after I reread the manual.

your second paragraph describes what happens with LOW BATTERY RTH and is documented in the Phantom manual ... Page 12
Yes, the manual does seem to be describing the same thing. They still make no mention of "Smart Return-to-Home" for some reason. The low battery RTH should not occur if the "Smart Return-to-Home" setting is disabled. However, the Phantom will always auto land if the critically low battery level is reached.

Reactions: gvsukids
As to confusion ?? I find the manual does what it says ...

I don't seem to be the only one confused. This thread alone is making people regret their drinking and sniffing choices.

But if the manual says to toggle the S2 switch 2 times to initiate RTH (whether that is Smart RTH or Dumb RTH), and then toggle it once more to cancel it, but at the same time I know there are multiple instances where you are required to toggle the switches "at least" a certain number of times, then what happens if I toggle it 3 times? Did I just initiate it and then cancel it?

At lot of the detailed instructions like this, while maybe confusing isn't the right word, are very "similar but different" which leads to confusion.

One thing I do know... I know that this weekend's flying will have some time spent practicing the various ways of initiating some sort of RTH.

And also for the record, when terminology is seemingly counterintuitive, then that also leads to confusion. To me, SMART RTH should mean something automatic, generated by software that is analyzing battery levels, distance, range, and making its own decision. Smart return to home is not ME toggling a switch.

There's nothing dumber than ME in this whole decision making process.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Loz and DanMan32
d47c8e031b243c3d94e7c919cb321777.jpg

No , S1 toggling from P-GPS to F-MODE and back up to P-GPS will cancel RTH started with S2 , only need to toggle once , same for toggling S2 --- only once to start RTH for me , soon as S2 hits bottom position for me it starts RTH .

No , S1 toggling from P-GPS to F-MODE and back up to P-GPS will cancel RTH started with S2

You're right, S1 to cancel. Too many trains of thought departing on the same track.

[QUOTE="kndll, post: 1110997, member: 78786" only once to start RTH for me , soon as S2 hits bottom position for me it starts RTH .[/QUOTE]

While that may be true, I'm just trying to address the discrepancies between the videos, the manual and real life. You've just helped make that exact point... you only need to toggle once but the manual says twice.

That makes a difference because the number of times you toggle for different actions plays a role.

Nigel, do you agree it can be confusing yet?!

"I don't seem to be the only one confused. This thread alone is making people regret their drinking and sniffing choices. "

We are all subject to confusion and unfortunately manual reading is not a pastime everyone indulges in ... meet my Wife !!

"But if the manual says to toggle the S2 switch 2 times to initiate RTH (whether that is Smart RTH or Dumb RTH)"

S2 is correct as I tested on my P3S ...

"and then toggle it once more to cancel it, but at the same time I know there are multiple instances where you are required to toggle the switches "at least" a certain number of times, then what happens if I toggle it 3 times? Did I just initiate it and then cancel it?"

Actually its S1 to cancel the RTH and as for how many times you toggle switch S2 or S1 ... it appears to act similar to the Left Stick down to stop motors .. while flying it seems to know not to initiate other commands ! Only once on ground and all stopped do the other functions appear to become active.

"At lot of the detailed instructions like this, while maybe confusing isn't the right word, are very "similar but different" which leads to confusion.

One thing I do know... I know that this weekend's flying will have some time spent practicing the various ways of initiating some sort of RTH. "

In my opinion - time well spent because having had tablet go dead on me during flight - reverting to manual control and switches saves the day.

"And also for the record, when terminology is seemingly counterintuitive, then that also leads to confusion. To me, SMART RTH should mean something automatic, generated by software that is analyzing battery levels, distance, range, and making its own decision. Smart return to home is not ME toggling a switch.

There's nothing dumber than ME in this whole decision making process. "

Human race ? We are supposed to be the cleverest animal on planet ... but so often we show how stupid we can be !!

Cheers
Nigel

Confusing ? No its RC world !!

Ever got involved in the Spektrum vs rest of world debates ......

or

chain vs rope anchoring on yachts ......

Nigel

[QUOTE="solentlife, post: 1111027, member: 74422"
"

Human race ? We are supposed to be the cleverest animal on planet ... but so often we show how stupid we can be !!

Cheers
Nigel[/QUOTE]

I outthink myself. I know I do. When I see "toggle it once" but then someone or something else says "toggle it twice or more" it triggers nuclear level OCD... nothing worse than saying "at least"... what does that even mean? 20? 30? I'm gonna end up snapping the thing off.

Confusing ? No its RC world !!

Ever got involved in the Spektrum vs rest of world debates ......

or

chain vs rope anchoring on yachts ......

Nigel

Try going into a motorcycle forum and starting a thread called "what's the best octane", or "what oil should I use".

Or "what battery should I use."

Or tires...

Then sit back and make lotsa popcorn.

Last edited:
Word to the wise .... don't start me on Fuel's .... I make a living out of blending and supervising Fuels for Civilian and Military use !! You don't know the half of the truth around fuels !!

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4