P3S Range problem

Reaction score
Hi friends,

I got a problem, hope someone can help me!

Bought a P3S. Functioned fine, except for the live-view range: camera view disappears when the drone is 30, 40 meters away. RC keeps working. App shows 'signal lost', camera view turns black/white and freezes.

Contacted DJI about this. Sent back the drone as DOA, defect on arrival. Today I received a new set, with exactly the same problem. What are the odds?

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? Already tried to reconnect the craft and controller, reset the wifi. All suggestions / solutions are more than welcome!! Is it possible tot change the wifi-channel or something?

take it out to a open area and see if it works better remember wifi can be affected by houses trees and other sorts

Thanks for your quick reply. In open field, the wifi-connection is only slightly better, reaches 50 meters with any luck...

What device are you using, phone,iPad,etc? Have you looked at the wifi signal strength (the fan looking icon) between the a/c and r/c when in flight?

Just wondering if a phone maybe in your pocket not on aircraft mode, or other wifi signals in the area are limiting your connection.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm using a Samsung S5 Neo, Android Marshmallow. Wifi strenght signal stays full. There are other wifi-signals from surrounding houses. In a non-urban area we were able to get a 100-meter distance without losing signal. Better, but still a far cry from the 500-1000 meter DJI promises....

Hi friends,

I got a problem, hope someone can help me!

Bought a P3S. Functioned fine, except for the live-view range: camera view disappears when the drone is 30, 40 meters away. RC keeps working. App shows 'signal lost', camera view turns black/white and freezes.

Contacted DJI about this. Sent back the drone as DOA, defect on arrival. Today I received a new set, with exactly the same problem. What are the odds?

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? Already tried to reconnect the craft and controller, reset the wifi. All suggestions / solutions are more than welcome!! Is it possible tot change the wifi-channel or something?
Crap, that sounds like my luck, yes what are using for your mobile device, and what is the firmware on the Phantom. This open area you tried, Clear of WiFi signals, cell towers, etc?

You posted before I did, since you are using a Android, Look for WiFi Analyzer (from farproc)
You can see how busy your area is.

Rod

I'm using a Samsung S5 Neo, Android Marshmallow. Wifi strenght signal stays full. There are other wifi-signals from surrounding houses. In a non-urban area we were able to get a 100-meter distance without losing signal. Better, but still a far cry from the 500-1000 meter DJI promises....

You may just need to concentrate your signal better. I use a windsurfer that has extended my unobstructed range to about 3000 feet on a good day. Flpholt above has a sweet setup also on his R/C that I may try in the future. I'm sure he'll check in and post a pic soon.

They are all over EBay and Amazon. Got mine from perltrading on eBay. US seller too. $7.99 and free shipping. It fits over the single antenna on the R/C and can be removed easily for storage. There is a pic on the eBay site. Most are 3D printed.

Windsurfer can only help the remote control signal on a P3S to the bird, the incoming live video and telemetry come in to the remote via antennas internally.

DIY Antenna Booster for Phantom 3

Agree RodPad. I was hoping flpholt would have posted a pic of the Argtek he has by now. I can't post pics at the moment.

2016-02-23 17.49.27.jpg

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Thanks for all te usefull tips, got one question about the windsurfer: I read this enhances the 2.4GHZ signal. Isn't the videostream send over 5.0GHZ, by the built-in antennas? Will a windsurfer have any effect on that?

About the Argtek: does this enhance the 5.0 Ghz-signal? Is it hard to connect to your controller?

I also have problems with the range of the drone:(
I was told that It happens because of the drone's software...

Yes, the windsurfer helps the 2.4 to the a/c, but not the video return as RodPad stated above. Since you've had two r/c's with the same issue, it may be a software problem or a connection/wifi issue with your device or local interference. I'm not familiar enough with the Argtek system to offer any advice if it will work in your case or not. I'd research the connection issues a bit more before going into the r/c. I get video drop-out at long distances sometimes if the A/C is not high enough, or the r/c is not pointed directly at the drone, or if my device (iPad 2 mini) gets too hot and shuts down. I hope you get it figured out. Research it a bit more here and on the DJI forum site too. My guess is still something is messing with your wifi signal in the area, like other wifi signals, cell towers, or power lines.

Reactions: The Art Of Drones
Vincent: to find threads to research, go to the PhantomPilots app, Tap "browse" at the top, then Phantom3, then Phantom3 help. Type 'wifi' in the search box. There are many threads on this subject there.

Reactions: The Art Of Drones

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.