P3S range near power lines

Reaction score
so I just installed the ITELITE DBS antenna on my P3S. I had my first flight ever here by my house and got about 1200 feet then RTH kicked in. I'm in a populated suburban area outside of NYC. Lots of wifi signals around and I flew to about where the huge main high power lines run for the area. I figured that could be an issue.

Question is, how bad to high power lines mess with these things? I assume in a clear area with better line of sight and less houses and no near power lines of get better range, but any ideas how much? Or how bad I'm getting impeded by the power lines?

Flying near high voltage power lines will cause some interference. 1200ft doesn't sound terrible especially right out of NYC. Test in an open area and I'm sure you will get 3,000' + easily

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: longdog
Flying near high voltage power lines will cause some interference. 1200ft doesn't sound terrible especially right out of NYC. Test in an open area and I'm sure you will get 3,000' + easily

Yea sounds about in line with my expectations. I'd like to see more than 3k feet with the DBS. Maybe I need to add boost/amp?

Yea sounds about in line with my expectations. I'd like to see more than 3k feet with the DBS. Maybe I need to add boost/amp?

I have a DBS antenna without boosters and always easily get 2,000+ keep in mind the antenna is REALLY directional.

Reactions: Pharm
I have a DBS antenna without boosters and always easily get 2,000+ keep in mind the antenna is REALLY directional.

I was out tonight getting some shots of fireworks in the distance and did a little bit of a distance run, made 1360ft; video signal started to get choppy so I headed back. On the way back while cruising around, my signal "Disconnected". I saw no information on the screen, just grey. Thankfully the P3S was in line of site so I started to come in and lower at which my signal came back thankfully.

I am definitely learning that the DBS is very directional. I think I have got to play around with it some more.

I know I am in a less than ideal area for signal. I am flying out from a townhouse development between tall buildings and trees with the high power lines about 1/2 mile away. Tons of wifi around me too and I had issues calibrating outside my home. Seemed I had magnetic interference. Bus ben from rebar under the development.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub