P3S Range issues.

Reaction score
Hey all!

Picked up a Phantom 3 Standard this week, have done about 6 flights so far.

I've lurked around here for a while, learned about how to use the Antenna properly and done some reading about the range boosters.

Basically my issue is this. I live across the road from a Football oval (AFL). I can fly the drone no worries to Distance ~120M and height about 10M. However as soon as I get to 20M Height (Or around there) the video signal cuts off. I'm planning to take the drone into the country this weekend to see if it works better out there.

However, my more immediate question.
What is the best way to get a better video signal? I only want about 100M up and 200M Distance. What would be the best booster for me to buy, how easy is installation, etc etc.

Would it be worth doing this mod "How to Update Tx-Power with DJIUpdate.exe (CE to FCC)"??

Again, I'm fairly new so I dont fully understand the risks etc.

Thanks!
John

Last edited:
Hey all!

Picked up a Phantom 3 Standard this week, have done about 6 flights so far.

I've lurked around here for a while, learned about how to use the Antenna properly and done some reading about the range boosters.

Basically my issue is this. I live across the road from a Football oval (AFL). I can fly the drone no worries to Distance ~120M and height about 10M. However as soon as I get to 20M Height (Or around there) the video signal cuts off. I'm planning to take the drone into the country this weekend to see if it works better out there.

However, my more immediate question.
What is the best way to get a better video signal? I only want about 100M up and 200M Distance. What would be the best booster for me to buy, how easy is installation, etc etc.

Would it be worth doing this mod "How to Update Tx-Power with DJIUpdate.exe (CE to FCC)"??

Again, I'm fairly new so I dont fully understand the risks etc.

Thanks!
John

Hello John,

The maximum flying distance is depending on a few factors............

- Wifi or other 2,4 ghz frequency interference from others?
- Are you in FCC or CE area? (CE for Europe, FCC for U.S etc.)
- Firmware version? (Check DJI Go app)

In an area with little or no wifi smog like the country side you normally must be able to take the bird out to at least 500m in CE and 1000m in FCC area.

The MOD is working great but first try to cover the basics.

Hello John,

The maximum flying distance is depending on a few factors............

- Wifi or other 2,4 ghz frequency interference from others?
- Are you in FCC or CE area? (CE for Europe, FCC for U.S etc.)
- Firmware version? (Check DJI Go app)

Wifi and Interference, I'm in the suburbs, so not heaps, but some.

I don't know, i'm in Australia, so I have absolutely no clue.

I just downgraded to 1.5.7, and saw intimidate improvements, higher and further.

I would like to now use the channel scan and maybe turn my RC up to 20dBm (Is this worth doing)

Regards
John.

Wifi and Interference, I'm in the suburbs, so not heaps, but some.

I don't know, i'm in Australia, so I have absolutely no clue.

I just downgraded to 1.5.7, and saw intimidate improvements, higher and further.

I would like to now use the channel scan and maybe turn my RC up to 20dBm (Is this worth doing)

Regards
John.

I would go all the way..... :)

27dbm recommended option
For the channel scan or fixed channel 13 you can always test this first after doing the MOD with 27dbm recommended, no further options.

After the MOD and before flight try which channel suits you best.
On your phone or tablet download a telnet app, telnet 192.168.1.1 and type: watchlog.sh -ch 13
It will change the wifi channel to 13 for this moment, you can now try and fly.

Hey again!

Thank you for your response.

Is there any risk in going "all the way"? (Up to 27dBm) I don't want to overheat or fry anything!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hey again!

Thank you for your response.

Is there any risk in going "all the way"? (Up to 27dBm) I don't want to overheat or fry anything!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Some people are using the MOD for months now on 27dbm, don't worry, it's limited to 27dbm, it's not a fixed value.

Good luck.

Reactions: JPage1r

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers