P3S Range issue.. Firmware? App?

Reaction score
I'm getting pretty frustrated from the upgrades & downgrades of the P3S. I have had this range issue where it RTH on short range every time. I have seen posts on downgrading & I have used all the firmwares to test & still poor range issue. I have seen posts on Downgrading the App as that was thought to be an issue.
I think I am facing sending it away to be fixed & never to be firmware upgraded again.
Has any light been shed on what is going on with this issue & whether there is a real fix to the issue that has worked before it gets shipped off?!?

There is no fix that worked for me. I sent it in once and it was returned with the same problem. I've sent it in a second time and am waiting to see if they can fix it this time.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm getting pretty frustrated from the upgrades & downgrades of the P3S. I have had this range issue where it RTH on short range every time. I have seen posts on downgrading & I have used all the firmwares to test & still poor range issue. I have seen posts on Downgrading the App as that was thought to be an issue.
I think I am facing sending it away to be fixed & never to be firmware upgraded again.
Has any light been shed on what is going on with this issue & whether there is a real fix to the issue that has worked before it gets shipped off?!?
Never heard that downgrading the app to improved range. If you're saying that you tried different FW's and still have range issues, than I would say you might have an hardware issue. If it's still under warranty, send it in while it's still covered.

Never heard that downgrading the app to improved range.
Some said downgrading the firmware to 1.5.7 fixed the problem. See this thread for more details. Perhaps that's what the OP means.

After waiting months & occasionally checking the DJi app for updates, one has popped up this morning 1.6.80 FW update. Hopefully this is the fix for the mess the standard is in at the moment. I'll get the bird in the air later on to test the new FW & post the results.

Standard - P3S 1.6.80 FW update as of 29 Aug 2016
Unless they updated the FW and kept the same number, which I doubt. This version# has been out for awhile. This is the one everyone is complaining about.

I don't know. I have upgraded & downgraded, used the FW's from threads around the site & ended up with + at the end of the FW#. The current FW has no + at the end so it is possible it's downloaded it again for some reason. I've pricked about with it so much & gotten nowhere.
I would of thought something like this would be resolved by now. I don't know whether to sell the **** thing & look for an alternative. Has DJi said anything about this FW causing the range issue? & a timescale for a P3S FW update fix?

I believe when you get the "+" on the end it means you download that beta FW that was posted on this forum. If you installed the 1.6.8, you reinstalled the current official FW. And to answer your last two questions, NO and NO. They're never going to publicly admit to a released FW causing issues, that puts them at risk legally. And they're not going to give ETA's on a new one, because they're not going to know the exact date.

Reactions: greg manchester
Just took mine to a local sports field to do a (non flying) range test.

From the stands to the far end of the field with clear line of sight the distance was about 190m and was showing full bars on the radio connection and 4 bars on video. Very old firmware 1.1.3 and latest app.

I don't know. I have upgraded & downgraded, used the FW's from threads around the site & ended up with + at the end of the FW#. The current FW has no + at the end so it is possible it's downloaded it again for some reason. I've pricked about with it so much & gotten nowhere.
I would of thought something like this would be resolved by now. I don't know whether to sell the **** thing & look for an alternative. Has DJi said anything about this FW causing the range issue? & a timescale for a P3S FW update fix?
In brief this has been going on for over a year.
Phantom 3-Std Weak Remote Signal
It has happened to me twice, poor remote signal after firmware.

Here is a small lists of just that relation, all are Standards, none of are loosing video or telemetry signals.
Terrible signal performance

On the second time, Being able to download firmware option had just showed up in the app. So I tried it again, successful it said, I did a flight test, it was bad again. I go back to the app, downgrade was not available, it was before I upgraded.

While mine was in for repair, stuff started showing up about putting the firmware on the SD card, since I got it back I have not done any firmware updates.

What I think, you and me has been reading on firmware fixes, is not the same maybe a 10-25 % change in performance. Not what I have seen is about a 95% performance failure.

I have many post on this on this forum, and read many more, just on this problem. I am now convinced again with your posts and a few others lately, that there is a hardware failure on these firmware updates that is not reversible.

First failure, returned different phantom, different remote.
Second failure, returned same phantom, different remote. Phantom had some repairs / replaced parts inside. Which I have posted here, but I'm not at my main computer to do a quick search of my book marks.

Yes, been frustrated. :rolleyes:
Can't downgrade Firmware

Rod

Thanks Rod.
Definitely more than frustration. It's a shame that nothing can be done & that so many have the same issue. DJI really needs pulling over this & resolve the issue or compensate. I guess neither will happen in the near future.
Time to look for an alternative & look at selling this paperweight.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj