P3S otor does not spin (motherboard problem?)

Reaction score
Hi there,

after a crash with my P3S the front right motor does not spin.
I changed it for the opposite one, to check if there was a problem with the rotor and the rotor was OK.
Therefore the problem should be on the motherboard.

What can I do/check now in order to solve/localize the problem?

Thanks

Reactions: Dr Crashmenot
Hi There
Sounds as though it might be the ESC powering that motor, unfortunately it is not so easy to change out, unless you have good soldering skills, and its best to swap it with one of the same rotation..
Waylander

Hi there,

after a crash with my P3S the front right motor does not spin.
I changed it for the opposite one, to check if there was a problem with the rotor and the rotor was OK.
Therefore the problem should be on the motherboard.

What can I do/check now in order to solve/localize the problem?

Thanks
tool check, good soldering iron, medium to small tip, needle nose pliers, tweezers. rosin core solder. dont use cheap solder on a drone, only runs globs an makes a mess, NEVER USE MORE THAN U NEED, too much heat ruins the board., esc,s usually go bad long before a motor with relation to crashes, i have one spare esc for every drone, just for checking motors, well worth it in the terms of peace of mind vrs wondering. Practice soldering beforehand, save ya some trouble an lotsa cash.
solder vac aka desoldering tool, soldering iron, needle nose, tweezers, rosin core solder, work vise, tools dont have to be fancy but you for sure need the basics. i had to learn it cuz i cant just up and buy another unit. Ask Ask Ask, these guys are pros, u listen cuz im listening too, Happy flying.

Attachments

• tools.jpg
    tools.jpg
    660.1 KB · Views: 234
First off, If you are still under warranty (up to 1 year after purchase) do not attempt to disassemble your phantom or try any solution requiring disassembly if you do not have a strong knowledge on how these things work and you do not have decent soldering skills. Talk to DJI and get it repaired.
You were quite vague in your post, if the crash was in fact not your fault (phantom randomly falling out of the sky) DJI will fix whatever is wrong completely free. If you did hit something and it was your fault you could attempt some repairs yourself since DJI will charge you anyways if it is your fault.

So that leads to some questions:
What exactly was the crash? Did it just fall out if the sky or did you actually hit something?
Any errors reported in the app?
Does the motor spin freely by hand, feel any different than the other motors?
You mentioned you swapped the rotors, by that i assume you mean just putting on different propellers and not actually doing any internal work on the drone, correct?
If you try to start the motors, what does it do? If you give the motor a spin while the others are turned on, does it do anything?
If you look inside the motors, are the copper wires in the bad one a different color than the other motors? Does the motor smell burnt?

If there is nothing abnormal the answers to those questions, I would lean towards you having and ESC failure. Unless you have A LOT of soldering experience, don't even think about replacing an ESC, I am not even sure I have read about someone soldering in a new ESC on this forum. In the phantom 3 models and up, the ESC is built into the mainboard and can not be swapped out easily like it could be in every other RC vehicle.

DG is correct in his statement with regards to board mounted ESC's, dont piss with em. it will surely all go south from there if you do. He was quite thorough with his statement and questions with regard to cause of the crash. I havent contacted DJI because all of my drones like trees.
On the left a QAV 210 there are NO ESC;s visible as they are part of the Raptor 390 tower board assembly.
On the right, a Shuriken 250. It has 30 amo Bheli esc's. they are easy to desolder and replace. I havent checked my P3. But DG says they are board mounted then it is what it is, the good news is that the board is not Gawd awful expensive. Jusrt practice first B4 you attempt to replace it.
Happy Flying.

Attachments

• ESC's.jpg
    ESC's.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members