P3S Is it normal for my phantom to wobble when descending

Reaction score
Hello I only started flying a few weeks ago after buying a p3s I find that when I descend quite fast the drone starts moving around and like wobbling so I have to descend fairly slow. I was just wondering if that was normal?

Normal for my P4 if there are any gusting, swirling winds. From memory my old PS3 was the same. I was amazed at watching it recover the first time it happened.

Hello I only started flying a few weeks ago after buying a p3s I find that when I descend quite fast the drone starts moving around and like wobbling so I have to descend fairly slow. I was just wondering if that was normal?
Yeh all mine same ,,bit of blade flexing

Yes it's normal with any type of rotorcraft. To put it simply when you descend you are basically in a controlled fall and the dirty swirling air from your props is circulating back through them causing the drone to be unstable. If you descend as you are gradually moving horizontally it will be much more stable.

The P3 and its cousins along with stabilised fixed wing - when stabilisation is set high - you get 'wobble' or even fixed wing horizontal flight undulating pitch ...

On a fixed wing we turn down the gain to a compromise to reduce it and have straight level flight. I have many fixed and pals with rotor machines with adjustable stabilisers .... easily re-created or damped.
But of course the Phantoms are basically fixed FC machines.

Here on the Phantoms - we want stable platforms to give camera and gimbal best possible ... so once we start as such on a descent - the unstable air you are now passing through gives us the similar phenomenon but in a vertical plane.. The Flight Controller reacts to AC going of 'line' and it being high gain - can cause over-correction and a see-saw effect starts. Slow down the descent and Flight Controller has more steady action.
Its normal and would usually increase as the wind and air becomes more strong effects of the vertical line of the AC.

High Gain can create all sorts of effects ... Toilet bowl ... side to side while hovering ... wobble ... all due to FC commanding one way and then quickly commanding other as overshoot occurs.

Unlike Fixed wing boys - we literally just live with on these machines.

Nigel

Think it's called vortex ring state. You are flying into your own disturbed air.

I find that when I descend quite fast the drone starts moving around and like wobbling
If you have enough space, try coming down at full throttle while moving horizontally at the same time. You shouldn't notice any wobbling them. If you must descend straight down, then you'll have no other choice but to back off the throttle a bit.

One question. What will happen when the throttle stuck at the bottom. Like when the engines shut down. Fall too fast or stable. Thank you for answer.

One question. What will happen when the throttle stuck at the bottom. Like when the engines shut down. Fall too fast or stable. Thank you for answer.
it will continue to descend normally , descent rate is programmed in , motors will not shut off until P3S senses it has touched down .

it will continue to descend normally , descent rate is programmed in , motors will not shut off until P3S senses it has touched down .

Yep ... tested .. proved ... correct.

Nigel

Thanks for that last bit. Was wondering if I could create a "problem" with stick stuck down.

Just remember when you power up next time ... that beeping you hear is that Left Stick STILL down !! Flip it back to centre and the beeping stops !!

Nigel

I was actually curious about that too. I have not pushed stick all the way down until it locks when dropping down to land. I figured it wouldn't turn motors off since the action to turn motors off is both sticks diagonally down.

I was actually curious about that too. I have not pushed stick all the way down until it locks when dropping down to land. I figured it wouldn't turn motors off since the action to turn motors off is both sticks diagonally down.
left stick down is all you need to stop motors at any time , both sticks diagonally (CSC) gets people in trouble

solentlifewind.st: 1117949 said:
Just remember when you power up next time ... that beeping you hear is that Left Stick STILL down !! Flip it back to centre and the beeping stops !!

Nigel
Left stick still down or autolanding in Dji go = same result? It's safe to much wind.

Last edited:
Left stick still down or autolanding in Dji go = same result? It's safe to much wind.

??

If you leave Left stick DOWN locked .. when you next switch on RC - the RC will beep like mad telling you the stick is still down .. flick it back up and the warning beep stops ...

Nothing to do with Go or Autoland.

Nigel

Poorly you understood my question Nigel. Landing with left stick locked it is same as landing with automatically mode? Thank you for your patience.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav