P3S for an 11 year old?

Reaction score
I have a P3A and was seriously considering buying a P3S for my good friends son. What are your thoughts?

Why don't you just light the money on fire right now ? As it will be crashed very soon. Sorry. But being honest. It says 18+ on the box for a reason. It's about the decision process.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: JackTheTexan
If he was your son, and you would be with him every time he flew, I'd say go ahead. Somebody else's kid, that may take it out on his own and crash it? Let your friend buy his kid stuff.

Reactions: Tony Cowan
I have a P3A and was seriously considering buying a P3S for my good friends son. What are your thoughts?

It depends on your friends son. What other RC devices have he drove/flown? I got my son a P3A and we've not had any issues. My son has been driving cars since he was 3 and planes since he was 8.

Why don't you just light the money on fire right now ? As it will be crashed very soon. Sorry. But being honest. It says 18+ on the box for a reason. It's about the decision process.

Hahaha. It probably depends on the child. I gave my kids a syma x5c(which are awesome cheap quads btw) one does really good and one just flys into things all day.

I think you have to base it on how mature they are.

2cents

Hahaha. It probably depends on the child. I gave my kids a syma x5c(which are awesome cheap quads btw) one does really good and one just flys into things all day.

I think you have to base it on how mature they are.

2cents

This is very true. I'm just thinking at 11 of course they will want to take it to the max. Eventually.

I am 14, and the P3 is easy to fly, but its not my first quad. depends on kid's experience level with RC devices.

Reactions: mmtphoto
I am 14, and the P3 is easy to fly, but its not my first quad. depends on kid's experience level with RC devices.
Actually, doesn't it depend on his experience with quads? I know they're all rc devices. but a drone shares no characteristics with an rc car or plane. Just the fact that they're controlled by an rc transmitter. You cant make a mistake with a car and have it drop 200' to the ground.

Reactions: Tony Cowan
I had no experience with drones prior to getting a Syma X11C a few months ago. What was great about that besides it being cheap and extremely tough is you actually had to fly it. It wasn't that good at hoovering even with constant trimming it always wanted to go up or down, left or right. So I got that and practiced with it constantly until I never crashed anymore.

Then for Christmas Santa brought me a P3A because I was a good boy. Remember, you can't fool Santa.

But seriously I was glad of all the practice on the Syma before stepping up.

There is another problem that just occurred to me.

This kid is going to be required to register the craft with the FAA. But to register, the pilot must be at least 13 years old.

My son flies my Phantom 3... It depends on the kid... And if you're gonna help him. I bought my son a Mini Drone and he learned basics... Then I gave him my AR Drone... And he's doing great with it. The AR Parrot drone is WAY harder to control than a Phantom.... The Phantom is super stable.

You could get it and set the parameters to a low altitude and speed etc.

My son is 9 and has been R/C'ing with me since he was little... Oh and he can Jailbreak your iPad for you!

Reactions: dpicx68
There is another problem that just occurred to me.

This kid is going to be required to register the craft with the FAA. But to register, the pilot must be at least 13 years old.

Hahahahaha

The 11 year old is my friends son who is a single mother. He loves my P3A. I do a lot of stuff with him. He is constantly around or with me. He looks up to me. I thought since they are so stable and easy to fly that it would be good for him. So u guys think the Syma would b better?

The 11 year old is my friends son who is a single mother. He loves my P3A. I do a lot of stuff with him. He is constantly around or with me. He looks up to me. I thought since they are so stable and easy to fly that it would be good for him. So u guys think the Syma would b better?

At least to start, maybe the phantom later.

That is very nice of you to buy him a quad. I think the Phantom 3 Standard would be great for him. I would bet he plays video games and if so he will be fine with a quad. You just need to help him along the way. If you get one without GPS he will sure as heck loose it and loose confidence. Many people loose their Syma X5C in trees or a field because they get away from you very easy. I know I had one first. A phantom is great because if he gets in trouble he can let off the controls and it rights itself. As you know you can pull the throttle down all the way to lower the altitude and because the motors are at an angle it wont get into Vortex Ring State and crash. Just tell him not to fly unless you are with him for a while, and you both can fly both quads at the same time and have a really good time. Just my two cents.

That is very nice of you to buy him a quad. I think the Phantom 3 Standard would be great for him. I would bet he plays video games and if so he will be fine with a quad. You just need to help him along the way. If you get one without GPS he will sure as heck loose it and loose confidence. Many people loose their Syma X5C in trees or a field because they get away from you very easy. I know I had one first. A phantom is great because if he gets in trouble he can let off the controls and it rights itself. As you know you can pull the throttle down all the way to lower the altitude and because the motors are at an angle it wont get into Vortex Ring State and crash. Just tell him not to fly unless you are with him for a while, and you both can fly both quads at the same time and have a really good time. Just my two cents.
The range on a syma is 130'. You can loose a quad in 130? And the phantom can get into VRS.
And I don't think playing any video game prepares you for flying a quad.

The range on a syma is 130'. You can loose a quad in 130? And the phantom can get into VRS.
And I don't think playing any video game prepares you for flying a quad.

You are less likely to get into VRS with a phantom than another quad. and yes you can loose a X5c, just check out the Syma X5C Facebook group. Lots of people loose them in trees or flat out loose them . They can get away from you very easy. As far as what I meant about the video games is that you have to be coordinated to play them, so yes it helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.