P3S flyers, any regret not getting the P3A or P3P?

Just took a nice straight flight. I have P3S. Used 15.00 wind surfer. 5000 ft. Loved it. No mods.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Got my P3S on an impulse after playing with my little cousin's helicopter. I only wanted to spend around $300 to get a toy. But after 2 days of research I decided i wanted the full FPV experience and am glad I went with DJI.
But now I want more range. I'm a gearhead and look at range the same way I do horsepower. There's never enough lol.

My question to those this have flown both the standard and advanced/pro. How is the penetration? I do distance flying mostly in woodsy areas but sometimes fly in a congested area. Is the advanced much better than standard in out of line of sight situations?

Thanx
Tony

No regrets with my Standard. It takes great pictures. Which I edit anyway, and I am not a distance chaser. My ego has nothing to do with how far away I can fly it without seeing it.

Got my Standard for less than $200 and no regret. And I got good range on this one(12000ft) so I have no complaint. I don't need features from advanced/professional.

Less then $200 and 12,000ft? Really[emoji848] hmmmm

I have no regrets getting the P3S. I would be much more worried about sending a more expensive drone out over water, flying between trees, and just learning how to fly.

When I feel too confined by it I will upgrade.

Would somebody who has both a standard and an advanced run a test?

Test: Fly both at H=50m in open field and record maximum range.

Test part 2: Repeat test above where drones will rapidly be out of operator sight because of trees.

Addendum to the above test would be to have a friend who has a copter different than yours participate i.e., you have a standard they have the advanced.

Id like an advanced version, and i could have bought one. The only thing that stopped me was the thought of losing £700 worth of drone. If i lost the standard it wouldn't be so bad as its fairly cheap , but the risk vs reward of the advanced is too much for me. The cheap antenna/power mod boosted my range and the camera is more than good enough for anything ill be using it for.

Love my P3S. for $480 on sale at Best Buy, it was way less than the advanced or Pro at the time !!
Never felt that comfortable about long, out of sight, flights. I want to see it and know what it is doing !!
May do an Itelite upgrade just to have a stronger signal if needed. But for now, just enjoy flying it !!

I had the standard but very quickly maxed out the range (first flight) and as much as I didn't want to spend the extra cash on the advanced, what I didn't like even more was getting the standard a few hundred feet away and losing signal. I'm in a relatively dense WiFi area. I sold my standard and spent $200 extra on the advanced, couldn't be happier. The lower latency, much longer range, and better TX are well worth the extra money.

Reactions: mhuilker
Not really, its my first drone, so first I learn the ropes, then I get my phantom 4 when Im sure that I wont fly it into the ground.

Sure the P3s its a bit short on range, but with the Argtek mod does just fine. Im pretty happy.

Got my P3S on an impulse after playing with my little cousin's helicopter. I only wanted to spend around $300 to get a toy. But after 2 days of research I decided i wanted the full FPV experience and am glad I went with DJI.
But now I want more range. I'm a gearhead and look at range the same way I do horsepower. There's never enough lol.

My question to those this have flown both the standard and advanced/pro. How is the penetration? I do distance flying mostly in woodsy areas but sometimes fly in a congested area. Is the advanced much better than standard in out of line of sight situations?

Thanx
Tony

The difference is like night and day, believe me. I live in the sticks, so I know where you're coming from.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

The differences between the P3S and P3A/P are such that while I "want" those extra features, I personally wouldn't get any practical use out of them. They're great birds with great cameras and controllers, but what I have is more than sufficient for my needs. :)

P3A is worth the money. Video and reception are a lot better than the P3S and I only paid $599.

Got my P3A yesterday. Maiden flight was over the east river in NYC and I got over a mile. Very happy with it so far, can't wait to really test it's range.
LOVE the smart buttons on the bottom of the remote

I have been reading the posts about the advantages of the P3A/P over the P3S and I am conflicted: I now have the P3S with argtek antenna. Just got back from a large park (next to a large hospital), and I was only able to get about 200 meters distance before the bird heaved up and I got the "end of range" warning. I am ready to sell my P3S and jump up to P3P. How do you guys sell the phantom? EBay. (I looked for "classifieds" here on forum.)

I realize I may be experiencing high wifi congestion, but with everything I have read here on the forum, leads me to believe I would be happier with the adv or prof.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20