P3S Firmware 1.8.10 Update then Strong Interference Messages

Reaction score
I bought a used Phantom 3 Standard with three batteries back in mid-January. When I purchased it the DJI GO App wanted me to do a Firmware update. I decided to wait until I had a few flights under my belt. Spent a while using the DGI Go app Flight Simulator. That is a very useful tool!!

Flight Session 1 (1/17/2017, 35 degrees F) - Initial Flight and stayed in the Beginner Mode. All when very well and tested out Auto Takeoff, Auto Land, and RTH. Learned you have to be out >20M before RTH really kicks in. The only warnings that popped up where the max altitude and max distance warnings as expected. I ran all three batteries down. No crashes.

Flight Session 2 (1/20/2017, 38 degrees F) - This was basically the same as Session 1 in the same location.

Flight Session 3 (1/23/2017, 35 degrees F) - Used same location as Sessions 1 & 2. I am getting more confident. This flight I got out of the Beginner Mode and set max altitude and distance to 50m. Tested all advanced flight modes with success. The only warnings that popped up where the max altitude and max distance warnings as expected. I ran all three batteries down. No crashes.

Remember the required Firmware update? I got brave, well, maybe stupid. My dad always said "if it ain't broke fix it"! I updated everything to Firmware Version 1.8.10 using the DJI Go app. I made sure to check for proper update with all three batteries. Looked like a wonderful success story. (No, I am bad in that I did not note the old firmware version.)

Now the problems begin. In the house I started to get the "Strong Interference" message. Ok, in the house may be true. Off to the flying field.

Flight Session 4 (1/28/2017, 37 degrees F) - Used the same location to fly as before. Strong Interference, Cold Battery warnings are now appearing as well as the normal flight range ones. Phantom seems to fly fine and the batteries are warm when removed.

Back at the house a can get everything to power up once and while without the Strong Interference Warning. Not very often though. No cold battery warning back at the house. Firmware????

I think I will be cautious and still fly. Has anyone else had a similar experience with Firmware 1.8.10?

I bought my P3S refurb a couple of weeks ago, and I updated the firmware even before my first flight (I am trained to update firmware on every electronic device when I first get it). At any rate, I've had those interference errors in EVERY flight since I got the thing. Even when I am out in the middle of nowhere, I get them. They have not caused any problems other than the annoyance of having tons of messages pop up during flight, so I'm not too worried. But then I wouldn't know what it was like without them since I upgraded the firmware right away. lol

Now I'm not sure if the upgraded firmware is just reporting differently or if it's actually causing more interference. I suspect they just changed it to make sure the flyer knows there are other signals around and to be cautious (maybe to cover their butt for warranty/liability).

I'm pretty sure it's a bug in the software - I get a machine-gun of interference errors even when I'm flying miles from any city or habitation. I have also only heard of this on iOS with 3.1.2 ver of the App. I also know the Litchi app doesn't report all these interference alerts. I'd rather have false alerts than reset home points, but the 3.1.2 app is a shitshow on both Android and iOS.

Same here. You might try going back to Go App 3.0.1, or further. I did and all works as it should. Biggest reason for me is the Home Point for the controller is about 2 miles west of actual on the map. The Home Point for the bird is right. A lot of ink been spilled on this topic. Firmware has not been a problem so far.

Did I little more investigation using WiFi Analyzer. Controller will power up with WiFi in channels 2, 10, or 11. With Channel 2, I do not see any Interference messages with the bird linked. Is there an easy way to lock the controller WiFi to channel 2?

I am using the IOS DJI Go Version 3.1.2. I should downgrade the DJI Go that before downgrading the Drone Firmware or messing around with the controller WiFi.

Forgot to include that I am using an Android Tablet
It is the easiest thing to do, yes, to uninstall the Go App and reinstall a previous version. Doing only 1 thing at the time and testing is always recommended to isolate the issue.

It's recommended to re-calibrate all sensors & such after a firmware update. Have you calibrated the IMU?

I'm having the same issue. I never lose control of the drone but it is annoying as hell! Any word when they're fixing this??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

So is it possible to select channels in Litchi? It doesn't appear the GO app allows you to choose this. Can anyone confirm this???

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Just tried out the iPhone DJI Go app Version 3.1.4 hoping this might fix my original Strong Interference messages. Simple answer: NO. The messages seem to come up the same as with 3.1.2. This was a test in the house with no flight. Indoor / outdoor did not seem to make any difference before probably won't now either. Anyone else have joy with 3.1.4?

Just tried out the iPhone DJI Go app Version 3.1.4 hoping this might fix my original Strong Interference messages. Simple answer: NO. The messages seem to come up the same as with 3.1.2. This was a test in the house with no flight. Indoor / outdoor did not seem to make any difference before probably won't now either. Anyone else have joy with 3.1.4?

I haven't got a chance to try the update with mine yet, but I would think you'd still want the message to come up in a house when there really is a lot of interference? I'm guessing that unless you're truly out in the middle of nowhere, there's always going to be an amount of interference. The questions are: 1) what should be the threshold for the amount of interference that is reported, and 2) how often should the messages pop up to alert the pilot? Could it be the DJI is just covering their butts by reporting just about ANY interference, or do we think this is really a bug? I understand it wasn't as frequent as previous versions of the firmware, so either they intentionally increased the reporting, or there really is a bug?

I think it's the nature of the pops and frequency that is really the problem here. When there's interference around, it literally just starts spitting the messages out in the app and it becomes a distraction. Maybe there should be a persistent message with a gauge that simply reports an approximate level of interference? Or maybe the threshold needs to be increased since the amount of interference isn't causing any problems (other than some reduced range, which I guess is the conclusion that is reported in the message anyway).

Thoughts?

i had 384 strong interference messages on an 18 minute flight. this was at a forest preserve, open field. never happened before the new firmware / app update. epic fail.

I thought it was normal since there are 14 wireless networks in by back yard and I am 1000 feet from a cell tower.
Went back to 3.0.1 and not a single interference message.
I have latest firmware...it seems to be fine.

I am still very new to flying my drone as I have only flown it about 6 times now. I've never had any problems until I updated the firmware to ver 1.7.90. I had just made antenna mods and flew it until the battery was drained. I had no issues. I saw an update on my phone when I got home so I updated it. The next night when I tried to fly I couldn't. Everything would connect and go green for about a second, then I'd get hit with the heavy interference warning/signal loss. The tail lights lit green for a second as well then just flashed white. I never tried to fly it as it did not seem possible. I had video though and it looked normal. Other than the restart that the update called for when finished, are there other things that need to be done following a firmware update? I fear that it's just the firmware not functioning correctly.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl