P3s distance maxes at 500m

Reaction score
First of all I broke my remote it dropped out my hand and the antenna snapped. So I ordered another. But. I also wanted to fix the one I had as a back up. So I get in touch with a company that specializes in phantoms. They tell me they can upgrade the broken remote for long distance flights. I'm like what? They say doe 150 dollars they will make that puppy fly into orbit (jokes) hehe. Anyway. I say ok. And ship it to them. With working with settings on I go and try to set the distance and it will only allow me to go 500m. What the hell. If I have this nice remote that's souped up. Does this mean I can go past that because of the limits in the settings? Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you disable the maximum distance setting in the DJI GO app, you can fly until the signal is lost.

DJI-GO-Maximum-Distance.png

Aah. Thanks. It was disabled already. I saw it and turned it on. I thought wow. Only 500m with this amplified remote. This makes sense now. Thank you very much. Now. If I fly say 1 mile. Of course I can't physically see the bird. How do you overcome the fear of not seeing it. Should I wipe it clean of finger prints? This is scary.

You definitely should not fly out of sight if you're not confident you can control it without physically seeing it.

I know I can control it. Just a fear of something bad will happen. Example. The biggest fear is wind speed. If wind is say 10mph on the ground. I have no idea what it is at say 200 feet. If I'm a mile away at that altitude. This is what scares me. I've never let my battery get below 30% so that does not bother me. Maybe I just need a way to gauge the winds at that height. I'm thinking like this. A seagull is a light bird and flies high in the wind. Maybe the phantom can do it too. I'm just not experienced enough to know.

I felt the same way, even at 300 meters I can't see a thing, maybe a tiny specks. If the sky is over cast with a lot of cloud that's the worse. If sky is blue and clear then is a little better. I think a seagulls , it depend the size is heavier than our phantom. I try not to fly winds over 10 mph.

I'm not sure a seagull is heavier than a phantom. I put it on a scale with battery in and it was almost 4 pounds. So I think my only solution is to get a tripod. Link my iPad and depend on the instruments on screen. This way I will know which way is foward and. Always see altitude and distance. As well as speed. My problem with the wind even at 10mph is that I don't know what it is at altitude. Remember even at 10mph on the ground it can be 30mph at altitude.

First of all I broke my remote it dropped out my hand and the antenna snapped. So I ordered another. But. I also wanted to fix the one I had as a back up. So I get in touch with a company that specializes in phantoms. They tell me they can upgrade the broken remote for long distance flights. I'm like what? They say doe 150 dollars they will make that puppy fly into orbit (jokes) hehe. Anyway. I say ok. And ship it to them. With working with settings on I go and try to set the distance and it will only allow me to go 500m. What the hell. If I have this nice remote that's souped up. Does this mean I can go past that because of the limits in the settings? Weird.

What company did your mod and what mod did you get done?

Thanks for the correction. To answer. I've not gotten it back yet. Although I paid for it. I believe it will about double my range. Which is fine. Gaining more courage each day. I'm sure I will have it back at end of week.

Reactions: RZR_Jim
Thanks for the correction. To answer. I've not gotten it back yet. Although I paid for it. I believe it will about double my range. Which is fine. Gaining more courage each day. I'm sure I will have it back at end of week.

Thanks Tony, look forward to hearing your thoughts. Let us know if there was also an installation fee along with the $154 upgrade.

Yes. I called the tech. And it was an additional $99. So all in all $253 plus shipping to him. Kind of steep. But it's ok. I paid it. Will get a neck strap when it returns to protect it. In the mean time have a replacement remote. This hobby is getting expensive. Yikes. Paid 499 for phantom. Additional battery. 135. Additional remote 110. Upgraded remote 253. 64 gig memory. 65 dollars. And tripod for iPad. 50 dollars. All in all about 1200 out of pocket when I count tax. Forgot. A carrying case. 50 dollars.

Reactions: RZR_Jim
Well, lets hope there's some security in your investment via upgraded remote so you can fly with confidence. Look forward to your thoughts when your able to test.

I put led lights on mine now can see it real good

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31